Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Q for Ericsson Employees!

• 26-05-2015 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

Why don't you take a seat. I have some questions to ask you.

Anyone working in Ericsson as a software developer able to give me an overview of their day to day activities?

- What kind of projects do you work on? Are they web or desktop based projects?
    - Do you get moved from project to project often?
    - How many on a team?
    - What development methodology do you use? Scrum?
    - What tools do you use, e.g. Jira, Git/SVN, Eclipse?
    - Do you get a work laptop and can you install Linux on it?
    - I heard that Ericsson offer to pay for Java certification. Is it the Oracle 1Z0-083 exam? Do they continue to pay for more exams after the first one?
    - For someone living near Dublin, would you recommend moving moving to Athlone to work for Ericsson?

Thanks,
    Chris H

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi,

Anyone working in Ericsson as a software developer able to give me an overview of their day to day activities?

- How many on a team?
    - I heard that Ericsson offer to pay for Java certification. Is it the Oracle 1Z0-083 exam? Do they continue to pay for more exams after the first one?
    - For someone living near Dublin, would you recommend moving moving to Athlone to work for Ericsson?

Thanks,
    Chris H

Plenty of companies in Dublin,so why Ericsson?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ChrisHansen

I'd rather work outside Dublin if I found a comparable job.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

- How many on a team?

From my nearly 8 years old experience with E

You're likely to get moved around a bit, but its not as bad as some places.
    Iirc Athlone does support rather than R&D so you go where the support is needed. You may write a patch or you may be developing a bigger solution.

Not sure on team size

Not sure on methodology/tools

E// laptops are the most heavily locked down machines i have ever come across, you wont be able to install google talk never mind anything else.

E// are normally pretty good when it comes to further education

They are a pretty good company, every few years they cull their long serving members

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

From my nearly 8 years old experience with E

You're likely to get moved around a bit, but its not as bad as some places.
    Iirc Athlone does support rather than R&D so you go where the support is needed. You may write a patch or you may be developing a bigger solution.

Not sure on team sizei

Not sure on methodology/tools

E// laptops are the most heavily locked down machines i have ever come across, you wont be able to install google talk never mind anything else.

E// are normally pretty good when it comes to further education

They are a pretty good company, every few years they cull their long serving members

They do a lot of python and java development up there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Answers below based on what ive seen in the place. Theres 700 odd working there, so its not possible to speak for the whole place, i may be missing stuff that other units do there etc etc. Anyway hope it helps.

- What kind of projects do you work on? Are they web or desktop based projects? Both and neither. Old system is a Unix operating system written mainly in Java with a Solaris front end. Most development of this is now done in India. More likely your on the new System which is browser front-end.

Depends. Not as a rule, but you can push for a move. Whether your push works out is dependant on manager, competence and availability of the move.

- How many on a team?
    Depends on the team. Work done through Agile/Lean so teams are kept between 5 and 9 people usually. Though a "team" could just be 9 people doing unique-ish things bundled together for budgetting reasons.

Yes, but in cases of Support, Kanban is used (i.e your Jira or "todo" list is populated by those who want you to do stuff)

Jira yes. Git yes (and by extension, gerrit). Never heard of SVN, we may well use it but not in my section. Eclipse yes but as its for Java/Groovy, you still get the odd weirdo using notepad.

Yes and yes

They have a list of approved courses and exams (including the above) that they do indeed pay for.

Alot of people here do drive in from Dub and even beyond. The area (speaking as a local) is grand for a town its size. Im not a blow in so i dont have that perspective, but i would say it is ok.

• Advertisement

Answers below based on what ive seen in the place. Theres 700 odd working there, so its not possible to speak for the whole place, i may be missing stuff that other units do there etc etc. Anyway hope it helps.

- What kind of projects do you work on? Are they web or desktop based projects? Both and neither. Old system is a Unix operating system written mainly in Java with a Solaris front end. Most development of this is now done in India. More likely your on the new System which is browser front-end.

Depends. Not as a rule, but you can push for a move. Whether your push works out is dependant on manager, competence and availability of the move.

- How many on a team?
    Depends on the team. Work done through Agile/Lean so teams are kept between 5 and 9 people usually. Though a "team" could just be 9 people doing unique-ish things bundled together for budgetting reasons.

Yes, but in cases of Support, Kanban is used (i.e your Jira or "todo" list is populated by those who want you to do stuff)

Jira yes. Git yes (and by extension, gerrit). Never heard of SVN, we may well use it but not in my section. Eclipse yes but as its for Java/Groovy, you still get the odd weirdo using notepad.

Yes and yes

They have a list of approved courses and exams (including the above) that they do indeed pay for.

Alot of people here do drive in from Dub and even beyond. The area (speaking as a local) is grand for a town its size. Im not a blow in so i dont have that perspective, but i would say it is ok.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hi,

- How many on a team?

Thanks,
    Chris H

I don't work there, but just from hearsay: Ericsons in Athlone are not going to pay anywhere near the kind of money you could look for in Dublin.

While I understand money is not going to be everyones major factor for employment, it is most peoples.

Your question about moving: that commute that will cost you €400-500 a month + maintenance and tyres etc

I don't work there, but just from hearsay: Ericsons in Athlone are not going to pay anywhere near the kind of money you could look for in Dublin.

While I understand money is not going to be everyones major factor for employment, it is most peoples.

Your question about moving: that commute that will cost you €400-500 a month + maintenance and tyres etc

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that living costs would be less in Athlone (lower rent for e.g.) so that would balance things a bit but it needs consideration. I hadn't planned to commute. I should have phrased that question better as: is the company worth moving for. From the replies it would seem that they offer good opportunities and it would offer a good environment to learn in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭roosterman71

What kind of projects do you work on? Are they web or desktop based projects?
    Both. Some teams work on the front end, many work on the backend (no pun intended). Depends on the team your in
    Do you get moved from project to project often?
    Yes and no. Depends on the project. Normally teams move, not individuals, unless your handpicked to move to something. Difficult to trigger an inter team move.
    How many on a team?
    Depends. Normally between 5 and 9
    What development methodology do you use? Scrum?
    Scrum/Kanban. Again, depends on the area. Some parts use neither
    What tools do you use, e.g. Jira, Git/SVN, Eclipse?
    All above, plus many many more
    Do you get a work laptop and can you install Linux on it?
    You will get a laptop, and yes you can get it with Linux. It will be an Ericsson adapted flavour of Linux. Though not everyone will get it as it is only a trial. Most likely, it will be Windows
    I heard that Ericsson offer to pay for Java certification. Is it the Oracle 1Z0-083 exam? Do they continue to pay for more exams after the first one?
    Ericsson Java certification is now an in-house cert. They do not pay for Oracle related certs. New people will need some years of service before being able to get external certs paid for. There is plenty of training available
    For someone living near Dublin, would you recommend moving moving to Athlone to work for Ericsson?
    Why not? It's not like Athlone is the back arse of somewhere. Its a typical Irish town, with typical Irish things in it. You can get to Dublin in an hour (depending on which part of course). Rent is OK in the area, as is the case in most towns outside the cities.

What kind of projects do you work on? Are they web or desktop based projects?
    Both. Some teams work on the front end, many work on the backend (no pun intended). Depends on the team your in
    Do you get moved from project to project often?
    Yes and no. Depends on the project. Normally teams move, not individuals, unless your handpicked to move to something. Difficult to trigger an inter team move.
    How many on a team?
    Depends. Normally between 5 and 9
    What development methodology do you use? Scrum?
    Scrum/Kanban. Again, depends on the area. Some parts use neither
    What tools do you use, e.g. Jira, Git/SVN, Eclipse?
    All above, plus many many more
    Do you get a work laptop and can you install Linux on it?
    You will get a laptop, and yes you can get it with Linux. It will be an Ericsson adapted flavour of Linux. Though not everyone will get it as it is only a trial. Most likely, it will be Windows
    I heard that Ericsson offer to pay for Java certification. Is it the Oracle 1Z0-083 exam? Do they continue to pay for more exams after the first one?
    Ericsson Java certification is now an in-house cert. They do not pay for Oracle related certs. New people will need some years of service before being able to get external certs paid for. There is plenty of training available
    For someone living near Dublin, would you recommend moving moving to Athlone to work for Ericsson?
    Why not? It's not like Athlone is the back arse of somewhere. Its a typical Irish town, with typical Irish things in it. You can get to Dublin in an hour (depending on which part of course). Rent is OK in the area, as is the case in most towns outside the cities.

Thanks. Can you name some other topics that training is offered for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Thanks. Can you name some other topics that training is offered for?

Pretty much anything that will mean you can do a better job to improve the business of Ericsson, so long as it is relevant to your day to day role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Just to answer some questions.

Not always. It is really easy to get pigeon holed into an area. Especially if you are good in your particular area.

- How many on a team?
    5-15, I have seen it vary greatly.

Ericsson-Scrum! Ericsson have been trying to many years to roll out scrum, and have taken their own approach.
    Scrum masters are actually project managers and don't get to do any tech work. This is purely from my observation however.

Ericsson has done their own set of questions now, which is the same awkward compiler like questions that Oracle do. They will still pay for the Oracle certs if you want to do the Java developer cert. (As the programmer certs are a prerequisite for this cert, the Ericsson one is un-recognized by Oracle). Ericsson will approve any cert really, upon your managers decision. (i.e they approved for me OCPJP 6+7, OCMJD and OCEEJB)

Yeah, why not. The wages will be lower in Athlone, but then again so will the rent. I have recently moved to Dublin, from Athlone, and I prefer Dublin. But maybe the change from Dublin will be something you will like.

This is slightly factually incorrect, and may be confusing to ChrisHansen

The older applications are mostly written in Java. A very low number involve C/C++. Solaris was the choosen OS (which is a UNIX OS, and this would be wrote in C, not Java!). This is the OS in which the application suite runs on top of. Not sure what you meant by Solaris front end, however in the older system, the applications usually have a CLI, and a GUI front end. The front end been bog standard Java SWING. Maybe some ventured to SWT. This of course looked pretty ugly when coupled with CDE (Common Desktop Environment) which was the default desktop environment for Solaris some years back. Solaris did move to Java Desktop Environment (which in itself has nothing to do with java), but did make the applications look slightly less outdated. Sorta looking like older GNOME.

The slightly newer applications/systems are using a more modern architecture. i.e web front end (an example: GWT in one particular case), service/business layer - Java EE for web services, transaction, ORM and all the usual. Then of course, the persistence layer.
    You will get a lot of exposure to shell scripting and python also.

Ericsson are more in favor of Red Hat linux now, which I think everyone would welcome.

Thanks Damo.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

That sounds like a contradiction in terms - If they are a good company why do they cull their long serving members ?

I have to say that working on software sounds mind numbingly boring, almost as bad as being a bean counter (accountant). Really grateful that I don't have to do that for sort of thing for a living.

Long Gone wrote: »
    I have to say that working on software sounds mind numbingly boring, almost as bad as being a bean counter (accountant). Really grateful that I don't have to do that for sort of thing for a living.

If you take pride in the code that you write then it isn't boring. Writing code that is maintainable, efficient and well designed can be an enjoyable challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

If you take pride in the code that you write then it isn't boring. Writing code that is maintainable, efficient and well designed can be an enjoyable challenge.

+1 there's an element of creativity, puzzle solving to it that I would liken to the thrill you get of finishing a jigsaw.

Interesting. Each to his own I suppose -I certainly wouldn't want to do it everyday, and I have done some programming in my time. Is coding for telecommunications a bit technically narrow or can the coding be easily applied in other more diverse applications ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

...Is coding for telecommunications a bit technically narrow or can the coding be easily applied in other more diverse applications?

Coding or Software Development isn't for everyone. I would imagine, it's low to mid level programming languages like C or C++ for Hardware and possible Java for front end applications. Now it's possible that they use their own in house programming languages for Hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dizzyme

YAWN......

What's boring you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Dizzyme

"Writing code that is maintainable, efficient and well designed can be an enjoyable challenge. " - Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You find that boring yet on another thread (title: Mullingar - Athlone Greenway progress?) you have written:
    "...I wonder will the surface be suitable for cycling on with a road bike with narrow tyre's ?"

I don't need to say anymore.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Dizzyme wrote: »
    "Writing code that is maintainable, efficient and well designed can be an enjoyable challenge. " - Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

If it wasn't for the People who enjoy writing maintainable, efficient and well designed code, you wouldn't have a platform that is Boards to post your disdain for Software Development.

Itzy wrote: »
    If it wasn't for the People who enjoy writing maintainable, efficient and well designed code, you wouldn't have a platform that is Boards to post your disdain for Software Development.

The world needs anoraks - Both the type that ride bikes with narrow tyres and the type that write software....... ! .:D

The world needs anoraks - Both the type that ride bikes with narrow tyres and the type that write software....... ! .:D

I prefer the term Nerd myself!

Advertisement