Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭cassette50

There was a story in Irish Daily Mail last Sunday saying that 11 bikes a day are being stolen in Dublin but based on experiences in other cities (only 1 in 4 bike thefts are reported) - so possibly up to 44 bikes a day.

It was suggested that the thefts are organised and the bikes are being shipped out of the country to Eastern Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

cassette50 wrote: »
    There was a story in Irish Daily Mail last Sunday saying that 11 bikes a day are being stolen in Dublin but based on experiences in other cities (only 1 in 4 bike thefts are reported) - so possibly up to 44 bikes a day.

It was suggested that the thefts are organised and the bikes are being shipped out of the country to Eastern Europe.

I've heard this a few times, but without someone putting trackers in the frames of a few bikes and seeing where they go, it's pure speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

check_six wrote: »
    I'm sorry you had your bike swiped. Unfortunately, even though you had the right locks you may not have been using them to their optimum. This isn't much solace to you, but for those reading on the following may be helpful.

It is grim but horribly true that you should lock your bike beside some other unfortunate that doesn't know how to lock their bike correctly for maximum chance that your bike will be there when you come back (but maybe not theirs :( ).
    Thanks for the advice - I'll bear it all in mind next time round (definitely sticking with cycling as a way of getting to work, around town, etc).

Does anyone here have recommendations concerning insurance for bikes or is it worth it, i.e. based on insurance premiums for bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Does anyone here have recommendations concerning insurance for bikes or is it worth it, i.e. based on insurance premiums for bikes?

Investigated bike insurance early in the year after I bought a new bike. Worked out at about 10% of the price of the bike per year.

Decided to spend that €100 on a good locking system instead that would last more than 1 year. Couldn't take the heartbreak of it being stolen and having to claim back through the insurance so am extra vigilant in locking.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    Investigated bike insurance early in the year after I bought a new bike. Worked out at about 10% of the price of the bike per year.

Decided to spend that €100 on a good locking system instead that would last more than 1 year. Couldn't take the heartbreak of it being stolen and having to claim back through the insurance so am extra vigilant in locking.

imho RunRoryRun I don't think that even best lock on the market will make your bike safe from thieves as pretty often they are using sophisticated tools, so they can cut anything. Don't get me wrong though, it's just my personal opinion that IF they want to get your bike then they'll find a way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

sebphoto wrote: »
    imho RunRoryRun I don't think that even best lock on the market will make your bike safe from thieves as pretty often they are using sophisticated tools, so they can cut anything. Don't get me wrong though, it's just my personal opinion that IF they want to get your bike then they'll find a way.

Completely agree with you. If they want to get your bike, they will get it. I'm not naive enough to think that it's 100% safe, but only as safe as I can make it.

All I can do is reduce the risk of them stealing mine by making it a lot more hassle than other bikes in the vicinity based on the quality of locks and good locking techniques.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

The choice of where you lock your bike is all important. the only places I consider "secure" are those places where it is actually indoors, so my house, my office (in my actual office) or a friends house.

After that your bike is at risk, lots of places described as secure are in fact not, underground carparks being a good example. In the city centre I would consider any bike locked on the street to be at risk and depending on just how desirable it is shouldn't be left for any longer than necessary.

I'm happy enough to leave my beater, well locked, on the street for a couple of hours. Something Like EGOSHEA's lovely Hybrid, 20 minutes max, if even.

EGOSHEA take a look up the thread and you'll see some videos about how to best lock a bike, hopefully that way you won't suffer the same fate again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Valentine1 wrote: »
    The choice of where you lock your bike is all important. the only places I consider "secure" are those places where it is actually indoors, so my house, my office (in my actual office) or a friends house.

After that your bike is at risk, lots of places described as secure are in fact not, underground carparks being a good example. In the city centre I would consider any bike locked on the street to be at risk and depending on just how desirable it is shouldn't be left for any longer than necessary.

I'm happy enough to leave my beater, well locked, on the street for a couple of hours. Something Like EGOSHEA's lovely Hybrid, 20 minutes max, if even.

EGOSHEA take a look up the thread and you'll see some videos about how to best lock a bike, hopefully that way you won't suffer the same fate again.

Regardless of what lock you use, where you leave it, or how well you lock it if a thief wants your bike and has the ''right'' tools with him he'll get it..

These scumbags are going round with handheld angle grinders and have no worries or fear of the public saying anything to them. Bottom line: I would not leave my bike outside anywhere even if it had the best lock on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vegasmegas

Hi all,

My bike was stolen recently from my garden shed in the South Circular Rd/Cork St area.

It is a Cube Attempt Road Bike identical to this one though it has a Specialized saddle bag and Continental tyres.

If you have any information please PM me.

Thanks

search?q=cube+attempt&client=firefox-a&hs=seP&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=G0iiUtW2FovQ7Abgs4DYAQ&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=618#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=eyr_QcgksjH_fM%3A%3BeMkVrDvWJ2Fw0M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.surosa.co.uk%252Fimages%252Fcube-attempt-triple-road-bike.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.surosa.co.uk%252F3665%252Fproducts%252Fcube_attempt_2011.aspx%3B600%3B376

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonzo_k

Hey, I found the site bikeregister.ie . Seems like a good idea. I will be registering my new bike with them once I receive it ( A cube hyde pro 2014 , tee hee ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Does anyone have any information about bikeregister.ie, who set it up, did it have to register with the Data Protection Commission and the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Hello fellow unfortunate cyclists.

My bike got nicked from Parnell Street, north dublin yesterday. Dodgy spot so it was a rookie mistake to leave it there in the first place. I just didn't expect it to actually happen.

I really liked it. I cycled it a lot.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do? Ring around bike shops or check on adverts.ie or something? I met a garda on o'connell street when walking home after, he took my details and radioed it in, said there wasn't anything else the cops could do.

Here is a pic:

4B1B1E49752645E49C1A273F8400DA67-0000347136-0003453123-00800L-C945D966E7DE40068D9E0464216B8396.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hard lesson to learn, that's going to stand out like a sore thumb there and attract all sorts of scobes.

Your only hope really is that one of said scobes is dumb enough to advertise it on the usual websites (gumtree, adverts or donedeal), which does happen occasionally. Have a scan around any cash converters in the areas as well. It does happen that bikes are recovered, but sadly in the very low minority. Had a bike stolen recently, so feel your pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Oh that sucks :( I was just there myself this morning!

I've had a bicycle stolen from there (2 years ago now) as well. It is indeed a bad spot, and I try to never leave mine out there for too long if I can help it.

What locks had you on it? I've said it before but I use three now, all different kinds, just hope it slows them down and makes mine less attractive a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭donal7

just-joe wrote: »
    Hello fellow unfortunate cyclists.

My bike got nicked from Parnell Street, north dublin yesterday. Dodgy spot so it was a rookie mistake to leave it there in the first place. I just didn't expect it to actually happen.

I really liked it. I cycled it a lot.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do? Ring around bike shops or check on adverts.ie or something? I met a garda on o'connell street when walking home after, he took my details and radioed it in, said there wasn't anything else the cops could do.

Here is a pic:

4B1B1E49752645E49C1A273F8400DA67-0000347136-0003453123-00800L-C945D966E7DE40068D9E0464216B8396.jpg

Sorry to hear that.

On Monday evening just after 6pm I saw a young lad being pulled by the cops - they were putting a road bike into the back of a police van and looked like they were arresting him. I didnt get a good look at the bike as it was dark but definitely a road bike so thought I'd let you know. I spotted this at the junction of North Circular Road/Phibsborough Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Thanks there Donal. That would have been a bit early for it to be my bike, and also the gardai have said they would get in touch if they saw my bike.

Got a call from them yesterday thought I was about to get some surprising good news, but nah it was just to check my details and let me know they'd send a letter to confirm my enquiry. Oh well...

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

From Cycling Ireland Facebook page, related to this thread.

What would you think of the provision of secure bike lockers in cities? Orla from DCU is doing a project to provide secure bike lockers in Dublin - please take a minute to complete her survey

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YF6V52T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Sounds like a great idea. I'd definitely put a few quid on knowing my bike was safe for the day. Multiple spaces around the city (Even North inner city, south inner city, north outer city, south outer city would be amazing). A reasonable hourly/day rate would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Years ago I used to leave my bike in Hardings on the quays,They had a dedicated parking facility and it was the only place I ever left it in.
    I have seen bikes locked really well that the scobs could not get at them and instead kicked in the wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Yeah, I used to leave mine in Square Wheel in Temple Bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 dopan

My bike was stolen from the private access basement car park of my apartment block (near St. Patrick's Cathedral). The bike is a Lapierre Rock (Grey), and has a black metal rear rack. The frame was U-Locked to the rail (exactly as seen in the picture), and the lock was left behind, looked like it had been twisted until it broke, or possibly something like a crowbar was used. There were other, less nice bikes nearby that were not even locked, so it seems to reason that it wasn't just someone after any old bike, since it had to take a lot of force to break the U-Lock. I wonder if mine was marked or this was a targeted theft.

ZFbQSOfl.jpg

It was stolen between 6pm on Friday, Dec 13 and 6pm on Saturday, Dec 14.

Really gutted at the loss, as I use my bike to commute to work every day.

I already filed a police report on Saturday night, but if anyone knows anything please pm me. I know it's a long shot, but it's always worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is that a Krypto Series 2? And they burst it, sheeeet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dopan

ED E wrote: »
    Is that a Krypto Series 2? And they burst it, sheeeet.

Yes it was. Here's a quick pic of the aftermath:

xTYomUNl.jpg

You can see where the coating was scraped away on the right. Either from some kinda rusty tool (crowbar) or the rail itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I have the exact same lock :(

Only thing is, you had it locked in a way that allowed for lots of space between what you had it locked to and your bike. That's not a good idea, we're supposed to make it as "tight" as possible.
    DOn't think I am scolding you though, I am really sorry this happened to you, and we all know by now they can get at anything if they have enough time to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 stripeypaint

sorry to hear about your bike being stolen.
    I dont think Kryptonites are all they are made out to be, more of a fashion item from the hipsters/couriers.
    Are they worth the extra €€€?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

dopan wrote: »
    You can see where the coating was scraped away on the right. Either from some kinda rusty tool (crowbar) or the rail itself.

Do you want to know how they did it? search for "Bike theft in Dublin" on youtube. I can't post it in here as you can see the face of the scobes in the footage, but that's the way they stole my bike while it was locked in the same way as yours.
    Also U-lock was twisted in the same way: gone in 10 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I dont think Kryptonites are all they are made out to be, more of a fashion item from the hipsters/couriers.
    Are they worth the extra €€€?

That was one of the weaker Kryptonite's and the bike was unfortunately locked in a way that allowed the top-tube to be used as a lever which I'd guess was the crowbarring device used.

I'd bet that my top-bar would wrap around my kryptonite new york lock rather than the other way around.

Of course some d**k could then angle-grind it off but it does raise the bar a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

That Kryptonite 2 is a notoriously crap lock.

I think the New York Fahgettaboudit model would be the one to go. I'd imagine they could swing out of it.

In saying that any lock will only last so long and you can only hope it's longer the the thieves patience.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Shed was broken into and bike was taken. It's a Giant CRS, blue and silver in colour, has front shocks on it. Size is L.

Identical to this one:
    giant_crs_3.0_fs.jpg

It has viper mud guards.
    Still has all the new stickers on it, factory orange stickers on the wheels, the L label is still on the frame.

Stolen from the Finglas area.

It has a small scratch on the cross bar in the paint on the right hand side near the CRS text. Other than that it's in perfect condition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Shed was broken into and bike was taken. It's a Giant CRS, blue and silver in colour, has front shocks on it. Size is L.

Identical to this one:
    giant_crs_3.0_fs.jpg

It has viper mud guards.
    Still has all the new stickers on it, factory orange stickers on the wheels, the L label is still on the frame.

Stolen from the Finglas area.

It has a small scratch on the cross bar in the paint on the right hand side near the CRS text. Other than that it's in perfect condition.

If anyone also comes across a Racer style bike, the only identifying thing about it is that it already has a not so clean spray job on it, the frame is painted green and the forks are painted red. The wheels are not the regular steel/chrome coloured, the are black. There are no labels or anything else on it.

The thieves came back again during the night an got into the shed again.

Advertisement