Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Disco - reminiscing

• 14-01-2009 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

Normally "What's that song?" threads get closed and the OP pointed in the direction of the "What's that song?" sticky in Music, but since this has become a chat about No Disco, I'm leaving it - Dudess

Tried all the usual lyrics search engines to no avail, remember then video was black and white, quite a slow soulful track circa 1995. The only lyric i can remember is 'just another one night stand.......makes me feel like a real man' or something really close to that.

Would appreciate any suggestions from someone of the right vintage.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ryaller

"One Night Stand" - The Aloof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Jaysus, just realised it's nearly 8 years since Uaneen Fitzsimmons died :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

estariol wrote: »
    Tried all the usual lyrics search engines to no avail, remember then video was black and white, quite a slow soulful track circa 1995. The only lyric i can remember is 'just another one night stand.......makes me feel like a real man' or something really close to that.

Would appreciate any suggestions from someone of the right vintage.
    thanks

Jesus, i remember that song as well. I think the poster above ^^^ got it right (cant be sure-i probably have it on VHS at home-i taped No Disco religiously), it was a real catchy song though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

A fellow boardsie made me aware of this only recently, it is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

kerash wrote: »

A fellow boardsie made me aware of this only recently, it is excellent.

I didn't know what song you were talking about until I listened. I remember that well - can even picture the video.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Yusuf Mirza

Ahh I remember No Disco well. Twas back in the day when we had only RTE 1, RTE 2, TnaG and of course the new kid on the block TV3 which promised so much and delivered so little. Remember the Pepsi chart show that was on TV3? It was like Top of the Pops but crapier, and thats saying a lot coz TOTP was S%*t.

No Dosco was the first time I was exposed to "left of field" indi music. Wish they did maby a tribute to Uaneen Fitzsimmons and release a compelation. I remember the first time I say Beck "devils haircut in my mind" man that song blew my mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Fond memories :(

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

Thanks its exactly the one! wonder if RTE would ever consider a box set or even stream them a la other voices. Now to track down a cd for mates dj set.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Great song, the band fell off the face of the planet seemingly.

No Disco was great, truly missed - though not the Leagues years. Pity Channel 6/TV3 shafted Night Shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Great song, the band fell off the face of the planet seemingly.

No Disco was great, truly missed - though not the Leagues years. Pity Channel 6/TV3 shafted Night Shift.

+1. no more underground bands going to get their airtime chance and no more michelle doherty!!!BOOOOOOO!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's actually over eight years - November 2000.

Leagues was up his own arse, played alot of b*llocks....... Uaneen was a legend

jossnjuice wrote: »
    +1. no more underground bands going to get their airtime chance and no more michelle doherty!!!BOOOOOOO!:mad:

Aw Michelle:( How I love Thee..
    Dudess wrote: »
    It's actually over eight years - November 2000.

I won some CDs while she presented No Disco, just for voting on best videos of the year. XO by Elliott Smith was one of them and it's one of my favourite albums. Tragic what happened her.

Did anyone see her interview with Ian Brown at the Big Day Out in Galway?? He was one ignoratn B*llocks. She gave him a wee gift and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Car crash, wasn't it? She had a nice way about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

No Disco was a great programme alright. I didn't have a TV when Uaneen or Leagues presented the show but Donal Dineen introduced me to some great bands such as Orbital, Hyper[borea] and Palace Brothers.

Thanks for reminding me of The Aloof. "Sinking" was one of my favourite albums from 1996 but I had completely forgotten about its existence in the intervening years.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

Car crash, wasn't it? She had a nice way about her.

T'was and t'was a sad sad day...

I did enjoy the leagues era though, maybe it was the era I was brought up in. he introduced me to a lot. No Disco was an introduction so much as an awakeining. What a show regardless of presenter.

Anyone remember 'The Sound Room' on TV3 with Darragh Purcell?? Tosser

Agreed, met him once and he didn't disappoint in his t0sserness.

Agreed, met him once and he didn't disappoint in his t0sserness.

Yup, similar experience myself, met him backstage at a Sigur Ros gig and he was in love with himself

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

met him before too when he was doing the tv3 stuff. If he was an ice cream he would have licked himself. He did play loads of mercury rev around the time of deserter's song and introduced me to a great tun called 'Causing a commotion' by the wiseguys.

Won a copy of 'blur' from no disco circa Uaneen and met her at an embrace gig years ago too. She was really nice (especially to a gangly student like me)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

Did anyone see her interview with Ian Brown at the Big Day Out in Galway?? He was one ignoratn B*llocks. She gave him a wee gift and all.

i remember that,he lost it all together,i remember no disco aswell,first time i saw stone roses love spreads video on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭ Eloise Wooden Cockroach

Yep first introduced to The Aloof on this show as well, great band
    Fred83 wrote: »
    i remember that,he lost it all together,i remember no disco aswell,first time i saw stone roses love spreads video on it

Wasn't he chomping his way through an apple for the duration of the interview? :D I think i remember that now haha. Donal and Uaneen were great, best thing rte ever produced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Nobody disappoints quite as consistantly as Ian Brown.

No Disco was a great show in the Dineen/Uaneen eras, turned into ****e once Leagues took over, what a dreadfully boring presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Poor Uaneen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

legologic wrote: »
    T'was and t'was a sad sad day...

I did enjoy the leagues era though, maybe it was the era I was brought up in. he introduced me to a lot. No Disco was an introduction so much as an awakeining. What a show regardless of presenter.

Cant believe it's been that long. She was driving to a Bell X1 gig when she got killed. She was going out with Paul Noonan at the time.

The Bell X1 song "In Every Sunflower" is written about her. It makes the song even more amazing when you find out it was about her. As far as i know they've only played the song once ever live, at the Hot Press awards a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

No Disco Best Alternative\indie Music show RTE ever put out.

There was one called the eclectic ballroom as well, can't remember much maybe it was a dream, can anybody remember it? Must not have been great, seem to remember the Pale on it and Cathal Coughlan circa fatima mansions period. And one on Fridays at 6 on RTE2 called Plastic Orange???

On the pop side, What about The Beatbox with Simon Young and Peter Collins and Ian Dempsey preceeding them? Competitions were impossible to get into, pre text phone in days. Oul Smiley Bolger was on there with the New bands Challange, bands like LIR, Grin and Watercress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

beatbox was good,just turned to s#it when dave fanning took over,smiley always looked worse for wear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

JLemmon wrote: »
    And one on Fridays at 6 on RTE2 called Plastic Orange???
    Yeah, I remember seeing Scheer http://www.4ad.com/scheer/profile/ on that in 1992/93 - they rocked. Shame they didn't last long.
    On the pop side, What about The Beatbox with Simon Young and Peter Collins and Ian Dempsey preceeding them? Competitions were impossible to get into, pre text phone in days. Oul Smiley Bolger was on there with the New bands Challange, bands like LIR, Grin and Watercress.
    Fred83 wrote: »
    beatbox was good,just turned to s#it when dave fanning took over,smiley always looked worse for wear
    Good topic of discussion but please start a thread on it in the general Music forum - here is only for Alt/Indie. Thanks.

Oh wow, LIR. They were great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah, I remember seeing Scheer http://www.4ad.com/scheer/profile/ on that in 1992/93 - they rocked. Shame they didn't last long.

Talk about a blast from the past- whatever happened to them.

For some reason they kinda remind me of a cross between Therapy and Elastica. :P

FWIW, another track i'm reminded of from that era:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Cainer

Corholio wrote: »
    Cant believe it's been that long. She was driving to a Bell X1 gig when she got killed. She was going out with Paul Noonan at the time.

The Bell X1 song "In Every Sunflower" is written about her. It makes the song even more amazing when you find out it was about her. As far as i know they've only played the song once ever live, at the Hot Press awards a few years ago.

I've heard this before rumour alright but how true is it really that she was driving to a Bell X1 gig as the accident happened in the afternoon?

I wonder is it just one of those urban legands?

R.I.P. Uaneen.

Advertisement