Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting a channel master dish

• 03-01-2012 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I bought a second hand 1.2 channel master dish last week, and after cleaning there are syill some scuffs, so i would like to paint it.

What sort of paint would i use, would halfords car spray be any good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭sob1467

Theres a few things to remember when choosing your paint. Firstly, don't use a metallic paint - these would reflect too much sunlight up onto the lnb and could could damage it. Likewise, the paint you use must be matt, not glossy. Also, you need to use paint suitable for outside use, normal household emulsion will wash off in no time. Something like matt car paint should work fine.

Make sure you prepare the surface of the dish before painting to wash off any dust & dirt and remove (and seal) any surface rust. Don't paint the lnb cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jpsr

Thanks for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

jpsr wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice.

Did you get my PM?

Greenman wrote: »
    Did you get my PM?

Ye got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I painted out slightly rusting Sky perforated dish with bog-standard outdoor masonry paint as used on the adjacent wall - all except the LNB bit facing the dish. Looks great - disappears against the wall - no degration in signal that I noticed.

• Advertisement

As mentioned on my PM I would not paint this fiberglass dish, just wash it as you did, I do not think these dishes were designed to be painted.:)

BTW what LNB are you using?

Post a pic or two if you can.:)

Got this from satellites.co.uk

Might be of interest.

How to paint a Channel Master SMC dish
    Hi,

I just received this evening a note from the factory of Channel Master dishes (now Skyware Global) in North Carolina, USA.

This note explains how to take care of your aged Channel Master dish. You can either clean it or repaint it, according to the need.

Here it is:

Recommended procedure to re-paint Skyware Global SMC/TMC Reflectors

Cleaning Process:
    The cleaning process will depend on the degree of contamination. It includes the following materials:
    . Chlorine Bleach (Clorox or equivalent)
    . TSP-PF All Purpose Heavy Duty Cleaner (Savorgran or Equivalent)
    . Rubber gloves
    . Heavy duty sponges
    . Soft bristled brush
    . Bucket
    . Hose or source of water

Mildew and dirt removal:
    . Remove by washing with a solution of 1⁄2 cup of TSP-PF dissolved in 3 quarts of warm water and add 1 quart of chlorine bleach. Use solution to scrub area thoroughly using brush or sponges.
    . For uniform results, treat entire area not just contaminated area. The bleach should kill the fungus growth and remove stains. TSP-PF removes dirt and grime and wets the surface so that the bleach can work.
    . If stains remain, use second application.
    . When mildew is gone, rinse thoroughly with clean, warm water and dry surface
    completely if painting is required.
    . The solution will NOT prevent mildew growth.

Repaint process:
    . Scuff the face of the dish lightly with an abrasive pad or sandpaper to improve adhesion.
    . Mask the printed logo or scuff it to paint over it. A new logo can be applied over the painted logo.
    . If removing a stick-on logo, adhesive residue may remain. Try cleaning with mild solvent such as isopropyl alcohol before re-painting.
    . Wipe the face of the dish with a dry rag to remove dust.
    . Apply an even coat 1.0-1.5 mils (.0010-.0015 inch, .025-.040mm) of water-based
    acrylic paint to the reflector.
    . Allow to cure.
    . Apply a second even coat 1.0-1.5 mils if necessary.

Notes:
    . The choice of color is up to the user.
    . Skyware standard light gray color is PMS 428C
    . This process is not for hydrophobic coated reflectors
    . Be careful not to remove the existing surface finish, only scuff lightly and clean
    thoroughly.
    . The procedure can be used to paint the back of reflectors as well. In this case there
    is no existing finish to consider.

Good luck,

Charly20 :)

Greenman wrote: »
    As mentioned on my PM I would not paint this fiberglass dish, just wash it as you did, I do not think these dishes were designed to be painted.:)

BTW what LNB are you using?

Post a pic or two if you can.:)

Thanks for the info.

I have a channel master feed horn and inverto lnb,
    Also i have a 96cm channel master which i am putting up and a 1 metre channel master which was used for tooway broadband that i bought for 50 euro with feedhorn and mount, and its like new only a year old.

I gave the polar mount off the 1.2 its first coat yesterday another 1 today.the weather is making it hard to do anything, but i will post pics when im done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gdng09

its okey

Advertisement