Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Indoor Saorview Aerial

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

winston_1 wrote: »
    Meaningless, it all depends where you are and which side of the building you are on. The "one for All" is about as crummy an aerial as you can get. Zero gain and little directivity. Any built in amplifier is a waste of time and electricity as it will only amplify local noise, not improve signal to noise ratio.

You describe my post as "Meaningless", why ?

Crummy it may be, it actually works. And it worked first time.

Cost to me = Zero... as I got it from my Brothers house.

Waste of Time = No !!

Why are you being so negative ? So Aggressive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

For folks who are in apartments or otherwise where it is awkward or expensive to install a proper aerial or who aren't bothered about occasional quality blips then I'd certainly advise them to first try an indoor aerial with the following caveats:-
    - don't spend more than €15 euros on one. (Amplification is little benefit)
    - be prepared to have to experiment with it's orientation and location in order to get the best reception.
    - don't complain if it doesn't happen to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

paddy147 wrote: »
    Do me a favour,stop complaining all the time over the indoor aerials.all you

Ever since the dawn of television indoor aerials have been sold, some of them in markets being no more than a coax lead with an encapsulated capacitor on the end. They all rely on people being in a very strong signal area.
    The current crop seem to be either some form of flat plate in a plastic box with an amplifier, or else a loop sometimes with an amplifier. Both are pretty useless.

The only reasonable indoor aerials are the Antiference Silver Sensor (difficult to find now) or the Telecam (not the amplified vertion).

But the fact remains if indoor aerials worked in the majority of cases there would not be all that aluminum on roofs. Better still the broadcasters would not need those ugly towers, they would broadcast from an indoor aerial in the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

PacMan wrote: »
    You describe my post as "Meaningless", why ?

Crummy it may be, it actually works. And it worked first time.

Cost to me = Zero... as I got it from my Brothers house.

Waste of Time = No !!

Why are you being so negative ? So Aggressive ?

Because it happens to work where you are does not mean that it will work next door. That is the nature of UHF signals that have to pass through the fabric of a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    The coverage checker is no use wrt telling you how strong the signal is likely to be in your area (only covered/not covered) & no use for weighing up the factors likely to affect indoor reception.

Thats true, the coverage checker is handy though for people who don't want to listen to hearsay as posted in this thread, if Paddy147's family had lived a few miles from Sutton in Howth it would have been a different story and if the other in Bray had lived near Shankhill, a few miles from Bray, Paddy could have a different opinion, he'd probably be still there trying to figure out what was happening when a quick refence to the coverage checker would have told him there is no saorview signal available in various locations in both these areas. Blanket statements without reference to anything are causing confusion for many as you too no doubt know.
    One thing that both you and I can certainly be sure of though is that as time goes on and with variables such as athmospheric conditions etc thrown into the mix there is a good chance that Paddy could be sitting down to watch a match some night and be greeted with a message saying 'weak or no signal' Paddy will no doubt bring the tv back to the shop because there ain't anything wrong with his aerial set up now is there?

• Advertisement

winston_1 wrote: »
    Because it happens to work where you are does not mean that it will work next door. .

Thats the point. I really dont want it to work next door.
    I want it to work in my house.
    It does.
    I'm happy.
    End of story.

Stop being rude please.
    :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Thats the point. I really dont want it to work next door.
    I want it to work in my house.
    It does.
    I'm happy.
    End of story.

Stop being rude please.
    :pac:

More like...."blah blah blah,I dont give a damn because my aerial works and it shows that you are wrong".;):D

Thats what Id say to him,but I know hes one of these types of people,who cant/wont accept anything that anyone else says,even when they post proof of it working perfectly.

Typical.:(:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Give it a rest Paddy, nobody is disputing the fact that yours or the other guy's aerials work for both of you at your respective locations. This has been pointed out already several times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

paddy147 wrote: »
    Thats what Id say to him,but I know hes one of these types of people,who cant/wont accept anything that anyone else says,even when they post proof of it working perfectly.
    The photos you've posted now in several posts across different threads don't show any proof. Just a picture of the box, the aerial on a window sill and a close-up shot of channel labels on a display. That receiver could be connected to an outdoor aerial, loft aerial or even a different indoor aerial and not the indoor aerial photographed in that group. No evidence of solid signal strength/quality readings with the indoor aerial connected and aimed for the best readings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

We are renting (in Dublin, south inner city) and an attic or outdoor aerial was not an option, so bought an indoor aerial a few weeks back. It cost €70 and was told it was the best of the amplified ones - wouldn't pick up a thing. The TV kept telling me to connect an aerial even though it was.

Brought it back and in the following few days, went through a bunch of indoor aerials, most of which were useless. In the end, we struck lucky with the following aerial as it picks up everything and crystal clear with no breaking up, even in the recent bad weather:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-9323-Dvb-T-Antenna-Design/dp/B003A6CHA2/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I got a Philex SLX Digitop 27769R for 19.95 in Powercity six months ago, works brilliantly. Looking on the Powercity website I see its in stock in all their stores.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

In a strong signal area maybe a DIY aerial built from a coax cable is worth a dry.
    http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_Antennen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,

I use the one that is sold in Lidl from time to time. Only costs about €12 and works absolutly perfect for me - I pick-up the 6 or 7 channels, or whatever it is, clear as day. Im in Dublin 15.

Regards

Iba

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

I am receiving saorview perfectly on an indoor aerial. It is a "One for All" brand. My location is Cashel, in Tipperary.

In theory it doesn't work, in practice it does?

<<Aerial Comments OneForAll SV-9210 flat indoor aerial propped against window cill. Window overloking Shannon facing S/SW. Kilduff transmitter 40 miles due south,Channel 52. Signal quality 100% Direct Link
    to this report www.mpeg4ireland.com/map.php?report=1138>>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

In theory it works if you have a strong enough signal. Nobody here said indoor aerials don't work, full stop.

Why do people have such a hard time understanding this?

In theory it works if you have a strong enough signal. Nobody here said indoor aerials don't work, full stop.

Why do people have such a hard time understanding this?

Thats My point :D

I cannot understand why some posters here are having a hard time understanding that Yes, I probally live in an area with a strong signal, and Yes that an indoor aerial works for me.

It works for me, and I am happy with that.

I cannot understand why some posters here are having a hard time understanding that Yes, I probally live in an area with a strong signal, and Yes that an indoor aerial works for me.

The posters you refer to (I'd include myself) do not have a hard time understanding this, you missed the point (again).

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

We missed the point but received the signal.

And what is your point exactly? Kilduff is on a high site & is fairly high powered (25 kW), with nothing much between it & Athlone, or wherever you are.

You're not exactly performing miracles.

Advertisement