Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cabinet reshuffle - Jimmy Deenihan replaced by Heather Humphreys

• 11-07-2014 3:35pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what ye think of Jimmy Deenihan being replaced by Heather Humphreys at the Dept of Art, Heritage and the Gaeltacht. I don't generally have a good word to say about any politician but it did seem like he was doing good things for genealogy. Anyone know if we can expect more of the same from Humphreys?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

He's been moved to the Dept of An Taoiseach with special interest in the Diaspora, which hopefully means he's focused on the Irish abroad. Would Genealogy fall under that remit I wonder?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

hjr wrote: »
    He's been moved to the Dept of An Taoiseach with special interest in the Diaspora, which hopefully means he's focused on the Irish abroad. Would Genealogy fall under that remit I wonder?

I'm thinking the same thing - it probably will actually. The actual records we're most interested in getting don't belong to Arts anyway - they're Social Welfare (GRO) and the CSO / probably Justice in terms of changing the Statistics Act. Art/Heritage's main concerns for us would be in local projects and funding; as well as digitising church records.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The CSO is governed by the Dept of the Taoiseach - I know from when I lobbied about the 1926 release.

I know nothing at all about Heather Humphreys but yay for more women in the Cabinet.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

As long as she does a good job. I wouldn't automatically vote for a woman based on gender alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kitchenkid

no doubt we will see over the next few months

• Advertisement
Advertisement