Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

eurochamps wrote: »
    Good post, remember to be wary of the classified advert sites, mentioning no names...............
    always cartell check the car your buying, they have the DVLA data base too.

no sh1t .........wow, who'd have thought ehhhh.....thanks for that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ricky18ponting

Very well written and contains very good information.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Newcastlewest

hi lads ,

I am going to buy uk reg car which is 08 , and going to change to irish. Car is first register in uk march 2008 , when I change it to Irish reg will I pay road tax buy Co2 or engine size,
    According to seller based on Co2 .
    Thanks for advice .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Which ever is cheaper you will pay.

• Advertisement

abceire wrote: »

it's a mirror, just a mirror - which they will fix.
    Focus on the check list here, and proceed from there - and focus on the car in hand. As its a dealer get your warranty in writing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

abceire wrote: »
    This garage has come up on boards before. formerly J&S cars and JJ cars. Make sure car is aspromised BEFORE you hand over the cash.

Those mk2.5 punto sportings are a lovely yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not a comment on the particular garage in any way, and I am sure many ads are phrased like this: UPON PURCHASE THIS PUNTO SPORTING WILL GO OUT WITH BRAND NEW NCT TILL 08/14.. (well maybe not so many garages SHOUT like that), but.....

someone I know bought a japanese import from a large-ish dealer in the north. Subsequently failed the NCT due to structural rust issues. Complained to dealer, who said they would sort it. Vehicle was duly returned with rust issues sorted AND fresh NCT (disc at least, I don't know about cert). Traded in very soon after....

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Lads on buying cars privately ie,donedeal,obviously every car is different and condition milage nct ect but say you see a car its up for 6500 how much could you realistically get knocked off it most people add extra onto the asking price for room to haggle,are people willing to knock decent few quid off if you are there with cash in hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Esel

My opinion is that generally it should be possible to negotiate at least 10% off any asking price.

Occasionally, though, you may decide to bite the bullet for a particularly attractive car. Things like genuine low mileage, full main dealer service history, extra options and relative rarity/desirability would be some of the factors in this situation.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Is this deal too good to be true, seller seems very secretive??
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3985061

Esel wrote: »
    My opinion is that generally it should be possible to negotiate at least 10% off any asking price.

Occasionally, though, you may decide to bite the bullet for a particularly attractive car. Things like genuine low mileage, full main dealer service history, extra options and relative rarity/desirability would be some of the factors in this situation.

When most cars are priced down to the wire now, 10percent is definitely way too much. Of course it is do able but theres no way you could call it an average.

+1, to be fair to most sellers, many have their price down to the min to sell quick and to garner interest.

macadam wrote: »
    Is this deal too good to be true, seller seems very secretive??
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3985061

just ring them and chat with them and politely ask them for the reg to do a data check, if he/she does'nt give you it, then end the call, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hi, really useful thread. Does anyone have a link to a page where you can see which cars are in which of the tax bands? Ill be buying a car this year and I want to try get something on the lower level of motor tax! Should I wait till after the budget to invest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hi, really useful thread. Does anyone have a link to a page where you can see which cars are in which of the tax bands? Ill be buying a car this year and I want to try get something on the lower level of motor tax! Should I wait till after the budget to invest?

Here is a link to the government's motor tax website.

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/menu.do?page=motortaxrates

That depends.

If you're going to spend a few thousand more initially just to say a couple of hundred a year, it's a silly idea.

That depends.

If you're going to spend a few thousand more initially just to say a couple of hundred a year, it's a silly idea.

I have a budget between €10000 & €12000. Not really sure what to go for! I currently drive a 06 VW Golf. Ideally i would either upgrade to another Golf or get an Audi A4.

They both seem very pricey though, hold there value. Any other suggestion greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the link Renofan

I have a budget between €10000 & €12000. Not really sure what to go for! I currently drive a 06 VW Golf. Ideally i would either upgrade to another Golf or get an Audi A4.

They both seem very pricey though, hold there value. Any other suggestion greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the link Renofan

I'd hold yer horses till next month OP....see what the budget says on motor taxation .

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I'd hold yer horses till next month OP....see what the budget says on motor taxation .

Ya, I think I will. December 3rd or 4th it will be announced hopefully! Ill stay looking in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 forevertwisted

This is fantastic. First time buyer, don't have a clue about cars. Was toying with the idea of buying an old Porsche Boxster, seemingly that's a tad unrealistic for an every day runabout in our weather, ha. Will be using this when I go look at some motors though. Great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 boystarone

Hi LM

I've been using your tips over the last while ( which are amazing ) its depressing how many ads on the surface look ok! , but when you delve even a little the they turn out to be lemons!

so taking your advice " that good cars are price accordingly"
    i've change my tack,increased my budget ( once the car loan comes in) and going to a dealer. My budget's around 8000, needs to be diesel cos of the miles I do, any recommendation

been looking at ford focus, 1.6. 06/07/08 theres a lot of them around but with quite high milage from 100,000 to 150,000. whats your thoughts on high milage on this car

any advice with dealing with dealers? should I still have the car checked by my mechanic? should I ask for the car to have a new NCT from time of purchase? should I do a cartell check or ask the dealer to do one. ( i feel like i already know the answers here.... yes,yes,yes)

last

http://carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=842629&

what do you think of this car

boystarone wrote: »
    Hi LM

I've been using your tips over the last while ( which are amazing ) its depressing how many ads on the surface look ok! , but when you delve even a little the they turn out to be lemons!

so taking your advice " that good cars are price accordingly"
    i've change my tack,increased my budget ( once the car loan comes in) and going to a dealer. My budget's around 8000, needs to be diesel cos of the miles I do, any recommendation

been looking at ford focus, 1.6. 06/07/08 theres a lot of them around but with quite high milage from 100,000 to 150,000. whats your thoughts on high milage on this car

any advice with dealing with dealers? should I still have the car checked by my mechanic? should I ask for the car to have a new NCT from time of purchase? should I do a cartell check or ask the dealer to do one. ( i feel like i already know the answers here.... yes,yes,yes)

last

http://carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=842629&

what do you think of this car

do not buy a 1.6tdci focus...............DO NOT - seriously sh1t engine..........only buy a 1.8tdci focus....

Thanks MidlandsM

in your opinion would a 1.8 be heavy on juice, I do a lot of miles, work for myself and travel the length of the country. if it is heavy, would I be better looking at different models something in a 1.4 or 1.6

what would you recommend in a diesel

thanks again for your help on this, bank just called to say its a goer or the loan! thats part of the problem solved!

B

boystarone wrote: »
    Thanks MidlandsM

in your opinion would a 1.8 be heavy on juice, I do a lot of miles, work for myself and travel the length of the country. if it is heavy, would I be better looking at different models something in a 1.4 or 1.6

what would you recommend in a diesel

thanks again for your help on this, bank just called to say its a goer or the loan! thats part of the problem solved!

B

the 1.8tdci will give you the exact same mpg as the 1.6, but is a much better robust engine.

If i were you, I'd consider a kia pro-ceed 1.6 crdi .....

like this.....part leather, great engine, still lots of warranty left....
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3900864

MidlandM

thanks , looks v nice but unfortunately a bit out of my range ( though i'm going to ring her to see how she's fixed on price), what other models would you recommend, my max price is 8000. what else in your option has a good solid diesel engine with good Mpg

thanks again for your help on this

b

Same engine, slightly different body, in price range, low tax, very good on fuel... and a haggle there to be had, so maybe it'd come in a few hundred cheaper......and still warranty left over....all good in my book......

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4011413

View2-14778918.jpeg

Op sick of people having trouble with the 1.6 TDCI's, and sick of hearing about it. Lots of lads on here say they're fine but in real live averages, they're far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Never have any problems with my 1.6TDCI - and havent heard many problems with them either, had looked up what was the best option and from my research the 1.6 was better than the 1.8

Mc Love wrote: »
    had looked up what was the best option and from my research the 1.6 was better than the 1.8

....feck, I hope i never look up the places you look up.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Quick question,Im looking at a car in a garage so done a check on the tax website said there hasnt been a change in ownership in 3 months yet on the ad its for sale from the garage 3 weeks the owner of the garage says he drives it home at night so am I right to presume its his car an he's trying to flog it or have I got it wrong?

Advertisement