Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

I'm only after getting my mock oral result today and I got... wait for it... 93! :D Now if I can only do the same on Thursday and throw the subjunctive and a few other knicknacks in, I'll have a nice 25% headstart for that A1 in French ;) Feeling pretty good about it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Never have to speak French again, and honestly, I'm disappointed. I never thought I would count French but I did a day of study and now I'm just annoyed that I didn't do more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Eathrin wrote: »
    Never have to speak French again, and honestly, I'm disappointed. I never thought I would count French but I did a day of study and now I'm just annoyed that I didn't do more.

That's how I always feel! :p How did ya get on?

That's how I always feel! :p How did ya get on?

I'd say it was alright. I had learnt a good few sentences that I could use, many more good ones I never got to use. Somebody told me that I should have brought up the more difficult topics like the economy because she never asked me. One thing I cannot stress enough is just to try and avoid answering questions on things you have no knowledge on. I did and ended up sounding just awful. All in all I was reasonably happy. B standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Looks like Irish is tomorrow. Few naggins, be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

French and Music done = :D

SERIOUS STUDY needed for Irish Orals. I scraped a B3 in the Mock, but want a B1 so here goes a load of study! There not until next Tuesday but anywho!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

French and Music done = :D

How did Music go?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

MY CAST IS GONE :D

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

Namlub wrote: »
    Looks like Irish is tomorrow. Few naggins, be grand.

Few fadas, be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

ConTheCat wrote: »

Woohoo :)

• Advertisement

ConTheCat wrote: »

I know a guy who last year just wore a fake cast into the oral so he could lie and talk about his injury for a good while:p

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

would bringing my phone in my pocket to record my oral be a no no? or be weird? my teacher made a joke today and that he could see how we done? :L

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

would bringing my phone in my pocket to record my oral be a no no? or be weird? my teacher made a joke today and that he could see how we done? :L
    Our examiners said not to bring our phones in case it interferes with the tape, so I wouldn't bother :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

We were told that we're not allowed to bring our phones in, and if we were caught with our phones in the oral we'd have our oral cancelled :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

What is everyone hoping to get in their orals? I would love an A1 or an A2 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

What kind of questions were you asked? was it only the general basics? did abstract topics come up?

I hope I get a woman for the French oral next week. I'm not too used to hearing the guys speak in French accents even in the listening.
    Could you imagine I had my last years examiner that would be weird .

This might be a stupid idea, but i'm considering leaving out Sraith 13 + 20 because.. they're stupid :pac: I know you won't get to pick which Sraith you do, but damn in a 90% chance sounds pretty good to me! :D :P

What kind of questions were you asked? was it only the general basics? did abstract topics come up?

Myself, my area, school etc. The Basics.
    Honestly not many abstract topics, but if you bring them up yourself it'll sound much better.

Myself, my area, school etc. The Basics.
    Honestly not many abstract topics, but if you bring them up yourself it'll sound much better.

Aw cool. I didn't get asked those myself last year. I guess I'll try not to mention anything which could lead to a abstract topic. I'm only doing pass so I'm not too bothered that much about the high grade but still don't want the exam to go awful .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

David1994 wrote: »
    What is everyone hoping to get in their orals? I would love an A1 or an A2 :P

An A1 in French anyway or there'll be shlaps. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Togepi wrote: »

Yeah I kinda need an A2 at least to get a B1/A2 in June :/

David1994 wrote: »

Yeah I kinda need an A2 at least to get a B1/A2 in June :/

Would love an A in June so fingers crossed all goes well tomorrow! :) I'd settle for an A2 like, it's just an A1 would be nice is all. :P

Would love an A in June so fingers crossed all goes well tomorrow! :) I'd settle for an A2 like, it's just an A1 would be nice is all. :P
    How do you guys study for the Comprehensions in French? I did really bad in them in my Mocks, they dragged my Grade down from a B2 to a C3 (77-59%) which I can't let happen in June! Does anyone have any tips on how to improve my Comprehension scores?

My economic mock is moved again because of the irish orals, it might be Thursday or Friday now . Hope it goes well if I stick to mainly the macro section.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

How do you guys study for the Comprehensions in French? I did really bad in them in my Mocks, they dragged my Grade down from a B2 to a C3 (77-59%) which I can't let happen in June! Does anyone have any tips on how to improve my Comprehension scores?
    Read the English q first to get an idea of what its about, and if you cant work out a verb (sometimes I find you can if its similar to another one/a noun) then try to slot one in that fits the context so the story still flows. :)

I don't really study for them at all but they do tend to bring me down. I would say keep learning lots of vocabulary, and just practice comprehension questions. Maybe take out the words you see all the time and learn them, some are fairly repetitive. :)

And yes, as Patchy said, always read the last question first. ;)

Does anyone else find the French listening hard? I never seem to understand a word they say the majority of the time as they speak fast, I end up guessing.
    How do you study for the listening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

This might be a stupid idea, but i'm considering leaving out Sraith 13 + 20 because.. they're stupid :pac: I know you won't get to pick which Sraith you do, but damn in a 90% chance sounds pretty good to me! :D :P

Luckily for me the sun shone through the sheets and I could see the last few in the pile.I picked the last one about the Diospoireacht.Think I did fairly well in it.I dont think the examiner shuffled ours so they were pretty much in 1-20 order so you could chance it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Woooooohoooo! Still talking Gaeilge all day though, weird!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement