Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 scan

Hi folks,

I have read hundreds of the post in this thread and I am probably more confused than when I started – Jesus I thought I was just getting a fire 

I am looking at getting an insert stove – it is for a very big room = 15 x 28 x 8.5 high and there is one double rad in there already. I have no interest in a sweltering room, just comfortable – so I am looking at 6kw stove.

I have been loads of advice – such as better to go for higher KW and have it on low.

There is already an Oak fireplace and I am told that this is a very bad idea and should be removed.

A push in stove won't work as my current fireplace has a built in grill and will have to be removed.

I’ve been quoted €3k by one crowd (who are highly recommended to me) and a friend says buy one for a “few hundred” and just stick it in – it’ll be grand. I really don’t want to be paying €3k or even close.

I feel it would be best to purchase and et installed from the same place – in case anything went wrong.

You folks seem very knowledgeable and I’d appreciate your opinion on what I should get and where and what I should expect to pay.

PLEASE help
    Scan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

scan wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have read hundreds of the post in this thread and I am probably more confused than when I started – Jesus I thought I was just getting a fire 

I am looking at getting an insert stove – it is for a very big room = 15 x 28 x 8.5 high and there is one double rad in there already. I have no interest in a sweltering room, just comfortable – so I am looking at 6kw stove.

I have been loads of advice – such as better to go for higher KW and have it on low.

There is already an Oak fireplace and I am told that this is a very bad idea and should be removed.

A push in stove won't work as my current fireplace has a built in grill and will have to be removed.

I’ve been quoted €3k by one crowd (who are highly recommended to me) and a friend says buy one for a “few hundred” and just stick it in – it’ll be grand. I really don’t want to be paying €3k or even close.

I feel it would be best to purchase and et installed from the same place – in case anything went wrong.

You folks seem very knowledgeable and I’d appreciate your opinion on what I should get and where and what I should expect to pay.

PLEASE help
    Scan

What exactly did that quote involve?What make and model of stove?What has to be done with fireplace? Post a pic if your fireplace so see what the issue is.
    3k does sound alot for a room heater but without specifics who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 43 scan

I'm struggling to a pic posted - but my fireplace is noting special - fairly similar in idea to that on post #2314 on page 155 except my is oak and has a plain background.

For €3000 = Marble fireplace and this stove http://www.kingstarfires.com/elm-boiler/

For €2100 = this stove and remove my fireplace plaster wall and have stove insert framed with 3 piece of granite.

any thoughts appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bigburdy

Can anyone help me? apologies if I'm in the wrong forum.
    I'm looking to get an insert stove put into a fireplace which is for a gas fire.
    The hearth is in four pieces so I know that is ok. There is no fireback on/in the fireplace.
    As I have an arched fireplace I need to get an insert stove that will work with an adaptor plate.
    I've been looking at the Waterford Stanley Cara insert stove.
    Can anyone tell me is it easy to fit?
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ok guys , looking to get a an insert stove for a number of reasons.

I live a semi-detached so i have no back boiler . it seems like a lot of hassle to get one plumped in.

I also have heard you cant put in a back boiler in a semi detached with a shared chimney.

i am wondering what the heat is like from an insert stove, would it heat the room or more than that.

a good quality stoves out there, nothing fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭JR23

Hi, hopefully I'm posting in the right spot (correct me in I'm wrong 😀), looking to get (Non boiler) a stove, so got a price of 535 euro for a 6kw Henley, supplied and fitted. Just wondering are they a good brand and is it a good price etc etc etc! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I have a second hand claypso cooker with a back boiler, I have in in place with the flues cemented in, my plumber won't be here till next week to connect the water.
    My question is can I light a fire in the mean time or will this damage the boiler.

I have a second hand claypso cooker with a back boiler, I have in in place with the flues cemented in, my plumber won't be here till next week to connect the water.
    My question is can I light a fire in the mean time or will this damage the boiler.

Do not light it till the water is connected as you could twist and warp the boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭RICKYD

Hi everyone. What would be a good multifuel stove brand to buy?will be needed to heat a room 16X19.no boiler required. budget would be 700ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mlenane100

Sorry if this has been done to death but........
    Which has the best non-boiler solid fuel stove in the 6 - 7 kw capacity of the two. We're upgrading from a 4 kw firewarm which has cracked. We're thinking of getting the Stanley Oisin but would like to know if any of the Henley ones are comparable at a better price.
    At the end of the day we want quality so absolutely do not mind paying that bit more.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Flint3rd

Does anyone know if the Stratford Ecoboiler is good. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

any ideas ballpark how much the backbrick for an oisin stove costs?

she's cracked and i have to replace

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

Flint3rd wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Stratford Ecoboiler is good. Thanks

We have the EB12 HE for about a year now. Delighted with it. Heats all the rads that are off it no problems at all. Very fuel efficient, only used the oil a couple of times last winter. Easy to light and easy to control. Burning a mix of turf / logs & some smokeless fuel.

Best money spent in the house - it has probably paid for itself at this stage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

emg74 wrote: »
    We have the EB12 HE for about a year now. Delighted with it. Heats all the rads that are off it no problems at all. Very fuel efficient, only used the oil a couple of times last winter. Easy to light and easy to control. Burning a mix of turf / logs & some smokeless fuel.

Best money spent in the house - it has probably paid for itself at this stage

How many rads are you heating of it? Does it put much heat to the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

restive wrote: »
    How many rads are you heating of it? Does it put much heat to the room?

We are heating 4 bedrooms, bathroom, ensuite, wardrobes * 2, Hallway corridor

rads are as follows :

Bed1 1600 x 500 (single)
    Bed2 970 x 500 (Double)
    EnSuite 500 x 500 (single)
    Bed3 1200 x 500 (single) & Rad in wardrobe 400 x 500 (single)
    Bed4 1200 x 500 (single) & Rad in wardrobe 400 x 500 (single)
    Bathroom 900 x 500 (single)
    Hall Corridor 1400 x 500 (single)

We are in a 4 bed bungalow (125 SqM / 1344 sq ft) which has zoned heating. The stove heats the rads in zone 2 and is well capable in heating the "Air" in Zone 1 (living area / top of hallway) - the temp in the living room / kitchen is around 24-26 degrees when the stove is running.

raglan wrote: »
    Got a Stratford 16 installed a few weeks ago. Up until now have been burning ordinary coal that we had left over, but got 2 bags of anthracite yesterday, as it is one of the HETAS approved fuels recommended to burn. Expected great things from it, from reach on web today it seems anthracite is very difficult to master to burn. Not that much heat from stove, as I can still put my hand on it to touch. Have to say, am very happy with heat in rads and hot water but overall heat from stove to room am not happy with so far but assume its a learning curve to find right fuel to burn and use of controls. I see Ecobrite mentioned a lot, what do people burn in their stoves? Which do people find better in their stoves, ecobrite or anthracite? Any other information that would be helpful on increasing room heat from stove would be much appreciated. Thanks
    We are looking at getting this insert boiler, are you still happy with yours? What size room and how many radiators do you have? Thanks

Brianne wrote: »
    We have 14 to water and 3 to room from our Yola so 4.5 to room sounds very good. What size is your room and do you have a rad in that room also?
    Where did you get your stove? Is it insert? How many radiators does it heat and what size room do you have it in..
    Many thanks

Gedmen wrote: »
    Not certain - Its either 1 to 5 Kws (nominal) or 2.5 to 8 Kws (nominal). Specs should be out in August.
    Did you get the Stratford 16 insert ? As we are looking at it so was wondering what you thought of it?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭spring21

Hi , I would really appreciate some help . I am looking to buy a green insert stove , I saw one second hand for €300 would be this a good price? also I am looking for someone to fit it any idea how much will the fitting be? At present I have an open fire of 16inch and I am burning a lot of wood to heat the room , plus once the fire is finished the draft is unreal the room get cold in no time.

I would really appreciate any help/ideas on how to go about to really save on wood and keep the room warm.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

Hi All,

My stove seems to have become less efficient than it was last winter, I did notice late last winter than it was not heating the rads as well as before, my first thought was the rads pump was gone, but I feel it going when hot water starts pumping and some of the closer rads are heating fine. Can pumps malfunction so they don't work we well or are they an all or nothing item?
    We are running 9 rads off it, including 4 large doubles and they are the older type so take a lot of water, I have a "minilex control" system, have three pumps inside, Stove, rads and water and one outside for the Oil burner.
    All rads heat up very fast with oil on.
    Its a big Olymberyl Aidan Multifuel Boiler Stove, spec says "18.5 kw output incl 12.5kw to water".
    There is also water pitching into the attic..
    I have bled the rads this eve, I am considering having the system "flushed"/desludged, I doubt this has ever been done, ill then consider getting a better pump, was only a cheap second hand one put in that the plumber had taken from another job.
    Are these the right steps to take?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Flint3rd wrote: »
    Where did you get your stove? Is it insert? How many radiators does it heat and what size room do you have it in..
    Many thanks

We bought it from a stove shop but saw it much cheaper later online on Emerald Stoves. A good bet would be get onto the Yola factory and speak with them and get a price from them.
    Yes its an insert, large firebox, large window. It heats 7 rads, 2 of them are large doubles. Room its in is 16 x 12 feet, one of the large double rads are in that room also.

Brianne wrote: »
    We bought it from a stove shop but saw it much cheaper later online on Emerald Stoves. A good bet would be get onto the Yola factory and speak with them and get a price from them.
    Yes its an insert, large firebox, large window. It heats 7 rads, 2 of them are large doubles. Room its in is 16 x 12 feet, one of the large double rads are in that room also.

Thanks for that do you know anything about the stratford ecoboiler insert? as this and the yola have been recommended..

we are having the whole bungalow insulated and treble glassed windows.

The room that the stove would be in is 14'x13'.

Did you pay extra for flues etc?
    Many Thanks

torres3011 wrote: »
    Well she's in a fortnight and it's been a really worthwhile job. I has an inset stafford ecco boiler 350 installed and it's heating 10 rads and the room no bother whatsoever.

It looks great and it works great. Still have a small bit of boxing off at the side and some plastering to finish off but could not be happier.

Big thanks to you Stovefan for the advise at the time. If you're ever in Cork the pints are on me. :D

Thanks again

Torres.

Hi,
    are you still happy with your Stratford ecoboiler, what KW is it and is it insert?
    what size is your room?
    Thanks..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am considering a small 4 - 5 kw insert multifuel stove to go in a typical chalet fireplace.

Any idea how much this would cost including installation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TM135

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone can help. I have a Stratford SEB20 installed since 2010. Whenever I open the door to refuel I always get smoke entering the room.

The Flue is on the rear and just last week I relined the clay chimney pots with a 5 inch stainless steel liner and cowl on the chimney top. I thought this might improve the draught. The room is well ventilated with two window vents. Any idea on how I can reduce the smoke entering the room, other than this fault the stove works fine heating 10 radiatiors.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ltz400

Does anyone know do u have to put loading valve in when fitting a sold fuel stove or oil stove I see on some sites they would put them in if there was a buffer tank installed but would it be needed for radiators

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Moggaman

have a problem with smoke from my stove. It is a double door multi fuel stove with a straight up 6 inch flue into an 8 inch chimney flue(rockwool stuffed in between chimney flue and stove flue). The stove itself has a buffer plate below the exit for smoke to create the angle for a decent draw. This buffer plate extends to within 2-3 inches of the front of the stove
    As can be seen from the attached photos my chimney is about 1m below the apex of the roof but as can be seen from the photo a south or westerly breeze will not be obstructed

The problem is that I can have smoke entering the room on any one of the following occasions
    On lighting the fire smoke can come out . Its only when the fire gets goin after a couple of mins will the smoke go completely up the chimney
    When refueling the fire, if I open the double doors wide , smoke will probably come out but if I close them to ¼ open the smoke will not come out.
    Generally speaking I cannot leave the doors of the stove open (my wife likes to see and feel the heat from time to time). Sometimes I can open them (rarely)
    Other things to point out are that generally when the fire is open or even with the door closed and the air wheels open, the fire flames up good and hard which indicates to me that the draw is good and strong.
    Also, as seen on the photo there is another flue right beside it. I have a Stanley Oisin connected to it in the attached room. No problem in any conditions, smoke will not come out ever from the Oisin. (Weird)
    I have a cheap enough downdraught cowl put on the troublesome one but issue remains.

I’m writing a long post because its pissing me off.. Is it the stove, is it the chimney, is it pressure difference?Is the buffer plate too far out and needs to be cut back to allow an easier bend for the smoke to go up? In the house 5 years now and need to sort it. Chimneys were swept 2 yrs ago. Use turf and wood with a little coal.

Lets be hearin ya…….

First pic is from south 2nd is from west and 3rd is from north

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Moggama has it always been a stove or has there been smoke problems from the open fire aswell. We had this when we built our house, now it's only an open fire but is there anything around you that's higher than the house (forest). We had this problem and had to build our chimney up higher, and no problem since. There was'nt enough pull at the top of the chimney.

Now that's only my 2c worth, it could be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Moggaman

No ruby girl . We are on top of a hill

• Advertisement

Moggaman wrote: »
    have a problem with smoke from my stove. It is a double door multi fuel stove with a straight up 6 inch flue into an 8 inch chimney flue(rockwool stuffed in between chimney flue and stove flue). The stove itself has a buffer plate below the exit for smoke to create the angle for a decent draw. This buffer plate extends to within 2-3 inches of the front of the stove
    As can be seen from the attached photos my chimney is about 1m below the apex of the roof but as can be seen from the photo a south or westerly breeze will not be obstructed

The problem is that I can have smoke entering the room on any one of the following occasions
    On lighting the fire smoke can come out . Its only when the fire gets goin after a couple of mins will the smoke go completely up the chimney
    When refueling the fire, if I open the double doors wide , smoke will probably come out but if I close them to ¼ open the smoke will not come out.
    Generally speaking I cannot leave the doors of the stove open (my wife likes to see and feel the heat from time to time). Sometimes I can open them (rarely)
    Other things to point out are that generally when the fire is open or even with the door closed and the air wheels open, the fire flames up good and hard which indicates to me that the draw is good and strong.
    Also, as seen on the photo there is another flue right beside it. I have a Stanley Oisin connected to it in the attached room. No problem in any conditions, smoke will not come out ever from the Oisin. (Weird)
    I have a cheap enough downdraught cowl put on the troublesome one but issue remains.

I’m writing a long post because its pissing me off.. Is it the stove, is it the chimney, is it pressure difference?Is the buffer plate too far out and needs to be cut back to allow an easier bend for the smoke to go up? In the house 5 years now and need to sort it. Chimneys were swept 2 yrs ago. Use turf and wood with a little coal.

Lets be hearin ya…….

First pic is from south 2nd is from west and 3rd is from north

What vents are in room?
    What's this buffer plate?
    What way is stove connected to chimney?
    A few pics of stove and flue connection would be helpful
    There's some info here that might be of some help
    http://www.murphyheating.com/flue-guide-solid-fuel-stoves.pdf

Advertisement