Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ucas-course?

Options
  • 24-09-2009 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I am looking into the ucas system and am confused about fees? i hear that Irish students are subject to the same fees as the UK students as we are all part of the EU. Is this true? does this apply for medical and dentistry(mainly) courses? i can't find any any information anywhere else.. so all help would be appreciated:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Well, in England and I think Wales you have to pay fees and they are pretty high at that. However, Scotland is free to Irish students, free as in the scottish government pay your fees for you. You would probably still have to pay registration fees like you do here. Scotland can still work out expensive even though you do not pay fees.

The only problem is that there is fierce competition for the few places that they hold for Irish students, so it can be very hard to get accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Yes you do have to pay fees in England, Wales and N.I. The fees are approx £3500 at the minute, but some people are campaigning to remove the cap on fees, meaning the university can charge whatever they want.

Don't let this put you off though. I applied through UCAS and it's a great back up to have as you know if you have a university place around March time. I know a girl who got medicine through Clearing in August a for something like 430 points.

I don't know if you can afford the fees, but you are still allowed to apply for a grant here and if you're over in England in uni, you might as well get a part time job over there as you won't be flying home every weekend. Hope this helps!

And as for the "fierce competition" - it's all about the universities you apply to. Not all of them reserve a certain amount of places for irish students, they just go on your personal statement/ results.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭swatch

Do you know by any chance what university that girl got a place in for 430 points for medicine????

P.S (sorry for the 3rd post)
    For UCAS information you can head to the NI and GB Colleges forum in Education

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Anyone know if it's too late to apply for medicine? All of the test dates for the apptitute test are booked out completly:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 catchifucan

I don't suppose anyone knows if Medicine in Queen's is really as tough to get into as everyone claims? Apparently 95% of the students are from NI?? I really don't want to waste one of my choices on somewhere I'm almost guaranteed not to get an offer from so I'm trying to choose wisely.. HELP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

theowen wrote: »
    Anyone know if it's too late to apply for medicine? All of the test dates for the apptitute test are booked out completly:confused:

Ya unfortunately the last day to register for the UKCAT was on Friday the 25th

• Registered Users Posts: 38 koolciaran

i registered just in time but i cannot apply for the ukcat cause all dates are occupied..... hopefully someone gives up there place!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

I have my UKCAT test on the 5th of October, and I applied late so I was lucky. But I have absolutely no prepearation done for it!:eek: Ive looked at a few practise tests on their website, so I have to get cracking on those. Can anyone recommend any other good UKCAT practise tests over the internet?

Also I still have to start my personal statement! The deadline for UCAS is the 15th of October, so whats the latest I have to have it completed by? Latest because because I have very little time to draft it as it is!

• Advertisement

Xtina!! wrote: »
    I have my UKCAT test on the 5th of October, and I applied late so I was lucky. But I have absolutely no prepearation done for it!:eek: Ive looked at a few practise tests on their website, so I have to get cracking on those. Can anyone recommend any other good UKCAT practise tests over the internet?

Also I still have to start my personal statement! The deadline for UCAS is the 15th of October, so whats the latest I have to have it completed by? Latest because because I have very little time to draft it as it is!

You'd need your personal statement asap, aswell as your predicted grades and your reference. It has to be sent before the 15th ie. before 5 0'clock at latest (I think).. Make sure you have your colleges chosen on the uckat app aswell as the UCAS because thats how the test people know where to send it. There are some good books on Amazon that would help you along with the test! It's not as bad as it seems once your doing it!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Mary007 wrote: »
    You'd need your personal statement asap, aswell as your predicted grades and your reference. It has to be sent before the 15th ie. before 5 0'clock at latest (I think).. Make sure you have your colleges chosen on the uckat app aswell as the UCAS because thats how the test people know where to send it. There are some good books on Amazon that would help you along with the test! It's not as bad as it seems once your doing it!:)

Thanks for your reply!:) So I have 2 weeks at least left, that should be ok. But Im a bit confused with my situation, Im repeating although I got 580 last year, but Im only taking on chemistry this year to head for the 5 yr coursein Ireland. But do UCAS require all your grades in the same sitting, like say if I find that I will not be able to continue repeating but if I just do chemistry, can I add my predicted A grade to my results from 2009? I very much doubht it as Id expect the system is similar to over here.
    Also what are the 'best' universities in England, preferably near London, to study medicine?

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply!:) So I have 2 weeks at least left, that should be ok. But Im a bit confused with my situation, Im repeating although I got 580 last year, but Im only taking on chemistry this year to head for the 5 yr coursein Ireland. But do UCAS require all your grades in the same sitting, like say if I find that I will not be able to continue repeating but if I just do chemistry, can I add my predicted A grade to my results from 2009? I very much doubht it as Id expect the system is similar to over here.
    Also what are the 'best' universities in England, preferably near London, to study medicine?

I'm not entirely sure on this but from my understanding, UCAS will only accept your first sitting of the Leaving Cert, like they don't accept repeat results (I don't know why), Also they don't count Irish as a subject which is really annoying especially if you're doing odinary level maths! You'd need to ask your career guidane teacher as to adding on chemistry.

As far as the best universities go obviously Cambridge / Oxford (you can only apply to one) - but they require a seperate entrance exam in addition to the UKCAT. Then there's Kings College London which would be an excellent University. They're all really competitive though. You should put down atleast one in Scotland and Wales aswell, Bangor in Wales is meant to have a good university! Besides that it varies, just be careful on the specific entry requirements! Well done on 580 last year!!

Advertisement