Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amino Acids

• 06-06-2014 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi,

I drink a protein shake 3 times a day:

- 0730 (before i go to work)

- 1630 (30 mins before i go to the gym)

- 1830 (straight after the gym)

I was speaking to someone lately in the gym and they said i should also drink an Amino Acid drink during my workouts.

What are your thoughts on drinking Amino Acid drinks, considering the times i take a protein shake? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

oo7 wrote: »
    Hi,

I drink a protein shake 3 times a day:

- 0730 (before i go to work)

- 1630 (30 mins before i go to the gym)

- 1830 (straight after the gym)

I was speaking to someone lately in the gym and they said i should also drink an Amino Acid drink during my workouts.

What are your thoughts on drinking Amino Acid drinks, considering the times i take a protein shake? Thanks in advance.

I personally eat a preworkout meal an hour before hand . I use ON amino energy intra workout , and phd whey post workout. I couldn't train with just a shake inside me to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

Thanks, the shake i have at 1630 is packed with a lot of other things to, such as nuts, spinach, banana, honey so it does fill you up.

I'm just not sure how important Amina Acids are for you, as i thought they were just protein too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

oo7 wrote: »
    Thanks, the shake i have at 1630 is packed with a lot of other things to, such as nuts, spinach, banana, honey so it does fill you up.

I'm just not sure how important Amina Acids are for you, as i thought they were just protein too?

They are nutrients that the body takes from your protein source, as opposed to being protein themselves. To be honest there are more book smart people here that could explain them in more detail. I just take them because I'm told to ! Or you could google BCAA's .

Ok cool, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you're training a lot and trainign hard, then they might have some use.

But if you're not then they won't make a bit of difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

They are of absolutely no benefit if you are getting high quality protein through your diet, which you are, whey protein is one of, if not the best source of protein available. They only place where they might be beneficial is prior to fasted training, and this hasn't been conclusively shown.

Ok, thanks guys... the person who was telling me to take them said they give you a lot of energy when working out if you drink it throughout training... i guess by your responses that, they give you no more energy than a regular protein shake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

The person who told you that doesn't know what he's on about. Protein doesn't give you "energy" in the stimulation sense, only in the calorific sense, which any food will do.

Cool, i thought so too, thanks.

Advertisement