Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Started WoT, The Eye of The World. For the first time ever, eventually. On chapter 3. Looking forward to it after all accolades and recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

pH wrote: »
    I've just finished Red seas under red skies, the follow-up to "Lies". Overall I was left a little dissapointed, it's not that it's not a good book, just that it didn't live up to Lies. Certainly if you enjoyed the first you'll most likely enjoy this one too.

Next to read is Ben Aaronovitch's Moon over Soho.

Prepare to feel the same way about Moon over Soho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Prepare to feel the same way about Moon over Soho.

Actually, I just finished Moon over Soho, really liked it, and in many ways thought it was better than the first!

For those who haven't read it - It's the follow-up to Rivers of London and it continues the story of Grant - it's urban fantasy - a mix of Harry Potter, Dresden Files and The Sweeney.

pH wrote: »
    Actually, I just finished Moon over Soho, really liked it, and in many ways thought it was better than the first!

For those who haven't read it - It's the follow-up to Rivers of London and it continues the story of Grant - it's urban fantasy - a mix of Harry Potter, Dresden Files and The Sweeney.

I actually liked red seas better than lies. Go figure.

Looking forward to Whispers Underground, the next Aaronvitch book due in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Finished K J Andersons Terra Incognita books. waited for the 3rd to come out before i started. I liked them but some of the ending really pissed me off.
    Criston finally finding adrea and she stays with the sholden shah, i don't what it was but i was never so pissed off with an event in a book, put me in a bad mood for the day.

started the alloy of law.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just started Charles Stross's "Rule 34". Enjoyed "Halting State", so I'm looking forward to this. Nice line in humour so far, although

Also reading "We Can Remember You Wholesale", the 5th (and final) collection of Philip K. Dick's short stories. They're a bit old fashioned but there are interesting germs of ideas in them.

And finally reading, in between the others, "Stargate Atlantis: Homecoming", the first in the Atlantis Legacy series. It's basically a continuation after Season 5 of the show, sort of a Season 6. It's okay - bit slow, and I don't think the author has a good handle on some of the characters such as Rodney.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

ixoy wrote: »
    Also reading "We Can Remember You Wholesale", the 5th (and final) collection of Philip K. Dick's short stories. They're a bit old fashioned but there are interesting germs of ideas in them.

P.K Dick's short stories are excellent. I've always enjoyed them more than his novels (as the length of a short story constrains him to a single idea rather than jumping all over the place).

Currently reading 'Market Forces' by Richard Morgan. It's pretty good but I'm not 100% sold on it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 meenaghans

just finished reading the first book about eli monpress called the spirit thief and am starting on the second one.
    I have also just reread swan song which i would recommend to anyone who likes post apolyptic books

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished Vivisepulture, you get what you pay for I guess, some ok ideas, but no stand outs for me.
    Started A Feast for Crows, so far its better than I had been expecting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Started A Feast for Crows, so far its better than I had been expecting!

mcgovern I heard all the complaints about it, but I actually thought it was a pretty good back. After the sucker punch of A storm of Swords we need a breather:P

I bought Robbin Hobb's Dragon Keeper in Charlie Byrnes. I was expecting a super deal, but I got a hardback and sighned copy for 8 euro. Still cheaper than Easons, or anywhere else, but wouldn't have minded a battered paperback for 4-6 euroXD

• Advertisement

Recently finished the Void trilogy by Hamilton and I enjoyed these a lot more than the Dysfunction trilogy. I've just finished Pandora's Star now and I'm about 10% into Judas Unchained - loving them both!

Started into Raymond E. Feist's "A Kingdom Besieged", the 1st book in the Chaoswar Saga which is the final trilogy in the world of Midkemia. 9% in and maybe it's just me but the writing and tone seem more polished than "At the Gates of Darkness". There's a bunch of new characters to get to grips with it but I like the fact it seems to be returning to some of the roots of "Magician" by bringing us back to Crydee. Promising so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭jimbomalley

Started into Raymond E. Feist's "A Kingdom Besieged", the 1st book in the Chaoswar Saga which is the final trilogy in the world of Midkemia. 9% in and maybe it's just me but the writing and tone seem more polished than "At the Gates of Darkness". There's a bunch of new characters to get to grips with it but I like the fact it seems to be returning to some of the roots of "Magician" by bringing us back to Crydee. Promising so far.

Ah "Magician", that brings me back...!! kinda got me into the whole fantasy genre, excellent book. Re-reading Iain Banks' "Surface Detail", still as good the second time round, one of his best imo and my favourite space opera author

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Finishing up the final book on the rift wars on audio, what feist books are worth reading and dodging?

Finished the alloy of law, i really liked it, interesting to see the magic used in almost modern times and the banter was funny. Is he going to contine with the Wax storyline? I know he was going with a modern times trilogy and future trilogy. Anyone keep getting reminded of the dreamers world from Hamiltons void books?

Trying very hard to get into cobleys Seeds of earth now, 3 nights to read 100 pages, normally i'd do that in a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

Finishing up the final book on the rift wars on audio, what feist books are worth reading and dodging?

Finished the alloy of law, i really liked it, interesting to see the magic used in almost modern times and the banter was funny. Is he going to contine with the Wax storyline? I know he was going with a modern times trilogy and future trilogy. Anyone keep getting reminded of the dreamers world from Hamiltons void books?

Trying very hard to get into cobleys Seeds of earth now, 3 nights to read 100 pages, normally i'd do that in a night.

If you haven't read the Empire Trilogy (co-written with Janny Wurts) they're excellent. Its set parallel to the main story but with some nice overlap.

I enjoyed most of the The Serpentwar Saga as well (I'd start with The King's Buccaneer as an intro to this series). Unfortunately none of it hits the highs of Magician but still worth a read.

I'm reading Red Seas Under Red Skies at the moment and enjoying it. Not quite up to the level of Lies but still some great dialogue and scenes.

shaneor wrote: »
    If you haven't read the Empire Trilogy (co-written with Janny Wurts) they're excellent. Its set parallel to the main story but with some nice overlap.

I enjoyed most of the The Serpentwar Saga as well (I'd start with The King's Buccaneer as an intro to this series). Unfortunately none of it hits the highs of Magician but still worth a read.

I'm reading Red Seas Under Red Skies at the moment and enjoying it. Not quite up to the level of Lies but still some great dialogue and scenes.

Am I the only one who taught Red Seas was better than Lies? Looks like the new one is most definitely out this year and sounds like it will have flashbacks to Locke's earlier years again.

A
    lso the Sanza twins are back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

Just recently finished Red Seas, looking forward to Republic Of Thieves especially finding out more about Locke's long lost love Sabetha
    now out to kill him for the Bondsmagi

Currently reading Ben Aaronovitch, Rivers Of London. Set in modern day London, a probationary pc (Peter Grant) finds himself working alongside Inspector Nightingale, the last wizard in England when a series of supernatural murders take place. It's a great mix of police procedural, magic and laugh out loud (sometimes night dark) humour
    Picked it up in a second hand shop for €1.50 and definitely going to get the second book in the series Moon Over Soho

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Althalu5

Ah "Magician", that brings me back...!! kinda got me into the whole fantasy genre, excellent book. Re-reading Iain Banks' "Surface Detail", still as good the second time round, one of his best imo and my favourite space opera author

Haha same for me, started off reading magician years ago and never looked at reading the same again, Feist has a gift for fully immersing the reader in the world of Midkemia. Epic stuff!

Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett. The book that starts off the witches series really. It's a parody of a sorts of MacBeth.
    Some great lines in it and it's one of the funniest discworld books. Smaller amount of cameos when compared with the last discworld book I read, Men at Arms, and sadly no Gaspode the wonder dog.

It does have Greebo though and the Duke with the fascination with cleaning his hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Just finished reading Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. The magic system used in it is quite innovative and theres some really good plots twists, overall I'd say it was well worth the read.

I'm on to The Angels Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon next, the prequel to The Shadow of the Wind, looking forward to it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished A Feast for Crows. I can understand why some people didn't like it, especially if they'd been waiting years for it, but I quite enjoyed it. Not the best of his books, but very good none the less.
    Started Halting State by Charles Stross, good so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SoTek72

Just started the RuneLords series by David farland.

Was a bit sceptical at first, but its got some really good moments once it gets going.

SoTek72 wrote: »
    Just started the RuneLords series by David farland.

Was a bit sceptical at first, but its got some really good moments once it gets going.

Stop reading right now and pick up mistborn or the blade itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

In Her Name: Empire is the best book I've read in awhile, it's well worth a read especially seeing as it's free on the kindle

Just began "Empire in Black and Gold" by Adrian Tchaikovsky, the first book in the ongoing Shadow of the Apt series. Okay, I've only read one chapter but I like the hint of what I'm getting and the manner in which there are different factions based around insects. Hopefully will breath a bit of originality, as well as using a higher level of technology than typically found in fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

I've enjoyed Tchaikovsky's series so far. Still have to read the most recent one. Just finished The Crippled God, not sure how I feel about the ending though. Going to start Warbreaker next given the recommendation above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

After seeing Way of Kings get some good recommendations here I decided to buy it.

Im about half way through part 2 now and I have to say its the best book ive read in ages, great story and a real page turner.

The worst thing about it is the wait for the next one to come out, get yer finger out Brandon! :D

shockwave wrote: »
    After seeing Way of Kings get some good recommendations here I decided to buy it.

Im about half way through part 2 now and I have to say its the best book ive read in ages, great story and a real page turner.

The worst thing about it is the wait for the next one to come out, get yer finger out Brandon! :D
    It's a great book alright. Pity it's a ten part series and Sanderson has said he will do a book every 2-3 years and the next might not be released to 2014! So if he does a book every two years (unlikely when you look at other big series) your looking at 2030 for it to finish. Give or take a year or two.
    Depressing. I'll be 46!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

Finished Red Seas Under Red Skies yesterday and thought it was a great read. The pace really picked up in the last 1/3 or so. It's right up there with Lies as one of my favorite books over the last few years. It's a shame the next one keeps getting delayed.

Also finished Raymond Feists latest "A Crown Imperilled". After the last few books were so disappointing I was worried about this but its an improvement. Still no where near his old heights though. There were also a lot of really annoying editing errors in the Kindle version which nearly ruined it for me. Its incredible that a big release is allowed out with stupid errors.

Trying to decide on what to pick up next. My choice is probably between "Before They Are Hanged" by Joe Abercrombie and Stephen Kings "11/22/63". I know I'll enjoy BTAH but might need a change of scenery after Red Seas.

Advertisement