Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you giving to charity this year and why or why not ?

• 22-12-2013 12:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Are you giving to charity this year,and why are you giving to charity,given what little we know of how charities become registered or are run.

Even places like pastor run victory outreach are known as a registered charity,it makes me wonder what the criteria for registering a charity is???:confused:

If you are not giving to charity i want to know your reason,is it to do with the recent CRC scandal and how little we know of where the money is allocated due to lack of transparency etc.

Ive worked in a few charities in my time,and have noticed rehab care to be the worst of them where i worked there was a homeless charity too that was badly run needles everywhere(it was a wet house).

SVP have been complained by people in the past,but i think they do a lot of good work.

Capuchin brothers,the franciscans that do the penny dinners do great work and unlike a lot of charities they dont go around in mercs or look for top ups.

You will see with charities that are not genuine the execs will be driving busses for cars long mercs etc or big jeeps.

Their wealth will be quite apparent and visible,the best way to know is to work there or pass by the charitiy in person and count the shiny new cars.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Unless I know there are no fianna fail cronnies on the board, I won't be giving to any charity!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

The criteria for registering as a charity must not be adequate at all given the fact the religous based ''charity'' victory outreach could register with no problems in ireland.

It worries me to think there are charities operating like this who are all about profit margins having a drip drip system up to the top execs.

The focus doesnt seem to be about the people they are helping.

Having said all that i wouldnt turn my back on donating to charity altogether because of the ones we have found out,there are still good charities out there,particularly animal charities i know a few that are all about the animals and not top ups etc.

• Site Banned Posts: 50 ✭✭hatchets mcgovern

I want to give a toy to the svp. Could I just gov it into one of their shops?

SVP accept donations at their shops so that would be fine..

• Site Banned Posts: 50 ✭✭hatchets mcgovern

SVP accept donations at their shops so that would be fine..

thanks

nice username

• Advertisement

no problem ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

I have concerns about charities which organise fancy balls in fancy hotels - ie Keith Duffy's autism charity's do in the Powerscourt Hotel. These are relics of the CT times!

How much of the money goes to the hotel and the PR people involved? I remember reading an article by a journalist a few years ago, during Celtic Tiger times, in which she said she had stopped going to these functions as she had discovered that very little of the money went to the stated charity - most of it went to the hotel and others. involved in organising it.

Keith Duffy has done incredible work in highlighting autism. Saw him on TV recently
    and thought he was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Svp is laughable, people in free houses getting dole are given more free money by svp. Know several people who have more disposable income then working peoples and get 50 quid a week food vouchers and their electricity and gas paid. Its a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

I give money to a homeless charity in city A. I live in city B and see someone helped by the same organisation regularly drunk and going home with bag full of cans. They call to him and support him apparently. He spends his money on drink. Addiction is bad but i do not see why i should pay for it or give money to an organisation helping people who drink their money

So i am thinking if i should support this charity anymore? maybe the people in city A do this too?

I think too all charities have good jobs for some. How could people who will not abuse help be helped directly without giving someone a cushy job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I'd rather go out onto the street and helpthe homeles myself. Like handing out gloves and hats in winter if I have a spare and I see someone sitting on the ground cold.
    Or i'l stopfor a smoke near a homeless person and ask if they want one.
    I don't feel guilty for not doing it anywhere near as much as I could and certainly not guilty for not giving to an organised "charity".
    I didn't need a scandal to lose my faith in charities, it wa slost as soon as they became regisitered with our corrupt government.
    My own plan is to to dig my way out of being in near poverty constantly and when/if I can afford to really make a difference, I hope to do so then.
    Maybe buy a lot of clothes or usefull things to help the homeless and hand them out myself.
    I don't feel the need to pay for guilt relief. And I don't see charity as a one way system. We also get something from giving or we would simply not do it at all. Those execs getting paid handsome wages are simply business people taking advantage of under privileged or vulnerable people.
    Charity is offically business. And it is savvy a business person that gives to charity too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

Torakx wrote: »
    ..............Like handing out gloves and hats in winter if I have a spare and I see someone sitting on the ground cold.

OT but useful if someone finds this thread in the future

few ideas for bits n pieces here :

http://culture.squidoo.com/what_to_buy_if_you_are_homeless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

gctest50 wrote: »
    OT but useful if someone finds this thread in the future

few ideas for bits n pieces here :

http://culture.squidoo.com/what_to_buy_if_you_are_homeless

someone else trying to make money from the homeless?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

GoodLord wrote: »
    someone else trying to make money from the homeless?
    Do you mean this is like a ninja marketing campaign form some place like wallmart or whatever store was mentioned?

If it was, do you think buying affordable items to help others and make ourselves feel good, has a more negative impact overall on the homeless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I give to small independent animal rescues in my county and neighbouring counties. All the money raised goes to the needs of the animals. All involved do so voluntarily, there are no boards and no fancy balls. Just ordinary people slogging their guts out trying to balance their every day lives with caring for animals that have been abandoned or neglected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Not now on my budget that has very little discretionary monies after monthly bills are paid. In the future when I do have more income I will more than likely donate to higher education scholarships intended to help promising bright candidates from economically disadvantaged backgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Any charitable donations will be to the local S.V.P.
    It is often said "..charity should begin at home" and that how S.V.P. operate. Money collected locally stays within the local community and their workers are volunteers, which helps maximise the value of the donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 187187

NO,

As i don't want to be paying towards some fatcats pay check.

But me (hypocrite) will always give money to cancer and Jack & Jill foundation.

Advertisement