Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Full soft drinks or diet soft drinks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Proper Coke, none of your diet or zero nonsense.

Here at Coke we select only the finest sun-ripened cola berries (from our lovingly farmed cola berry trees) and squeeze them that same day for bottling and canning so you can continue to enjoy to super fresh taste of Coca-Cola.

Soft drinks are gut rot. And the diet ones are worse again with the aspartame. God bless the little imaginations of those who continue to fool themselves about what they are consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

You should have an option for neither. Never drink any fizzy drinks. Water the best drink with so many benefits.

Not what the OP is asking though, so there's that...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I can remember numerous occasions (birthdays, christmas etc) where my mother or friends mothers would buy Pepsi Max thinking it was some cool 'max' version of Pepsi and not realising that it was a diet version that tasted like crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

Full sugar all the way, never had a taste for the diet stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Diet drinks do not help you lose weight, also while im here diets are **** too just eat healthy foods and exercise a bit, idiots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Diet drinks do not help you lose weight, also while im here diets are **** too just eat healthy foods and exercise a bit, idiots

Eat a Snickers, Dan. You turn into a right diva when you're hungry.

Full fat Coke for me, please. None of this skinny malarkey.

Can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners. They taste overly sweet, and it hangs around on my tastebuds for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

just articles on dodgy websites that a lot of people appear to believe for some unknown reason.
    Are you accusing the internet of telling lies? For shame.

I wouldn't drink a soft drink more than two or three times a month, but when I do it' got to be full sugar, don't see the point in fake versions of things trying to be something else, things like decaffeinated coffee, non alcoholic beer, quorn and methadone. Do the real thing or don't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Water all day everyday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Akrasia wrote: »
    Fact 6. Diet soft drinks contain a tiny fraction of the sugar content of regular soft drinks and taste very similar (in some cases, almost identical)

No they dont, I have yet to taste a diet version of a soft drink that doesnt make me wonder wtf it is I'm drinking. Supposedly coke zero does but it is always said by people who just drink coke zero. The pepsi i get in a cinema in galway tastes more like coke than diet coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

No they dont, I have yet to taste a diet version of a soft drink that doesnt make me wonder wtf it is I'm drinking. Supposedly coke zero does but it is always said by people who just drink coke zero. The pepsi i get in a cinema in galway tastes more like coke than diet coke.

Now to be fair, I'm a hardened Coca Cola drinker, and I think Coke Zero is an acceptable substitute, when full fat isn't available.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 focusvsastrata

Proper drinks all the way. I find that in general diet drinks just make me more thirsty. Also I can tell the difference between coke zero and normal coke easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

Neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I get diet coke in McDonalds so I dont feel bad about getting 2 large big mac meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Coke Zero does not taste anything like real coke,anyone who says it does is talking bullshit BULL-FUCKING-SHIT!

Obviously everyone has different tastes. I love Coke, but I've always hated Diet Coke. It tastes nothing like Coke IMO. Started drinking Coke Zero about a year ago and I honestly can't tell the difference between that and Coke. It's what I always buy if I'm getting a soft drink. I do find it slightly fizzier than regular Coke but it otherwise tastes exactly the same to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i don't think its mis information but more sugar has been around longer therefore its effects are better known,

aspartame hasn't been around that long so they are still discovering possible health risks, they will probably continue to find and disprove theories for decades yet.

It's up there with MSG and mobile phones. Massive scaremongering, tons of research and nobody has ever shown it to be harmful. The controversy is bullsh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I'd probably have about 5 cans of Coke a week, I love the stuff. There has definitely been a reduction in the quality of Coke over the last while but it's still number one for me. Pepsi is good too, however, those other brands such as American Cola are best kept away from.

Diet Coke and Coke Zero are disgusting and I lose a lot of respect for those who drink them.
    paulbok wrote: »
    Coke Zero does not taste anything like real coke,anyone who says it does is talking bullshit BULL-FUCKING-SHIT!
    Your opinion.

Not really, the poor quality taste of Coke Zero is fairly well documented tbh. It would be the opinion of the majority of Coke drinkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Someone mentioned a caffeine free version of coke...if such a thing exists, can you please tell me where I can get it?

Don't like to say this but lol at all the people arguing against (and for) aspartame. I don't go reading ****e articles on the matter, just go straight to the source of the people who have done the trials, everything else is just nonsense. I don't think there can be that many people under the illusion that you'll lose weight simply by drinking diet minerals instead of regular..? That'd be amusing.

I drink diet because I don't want all the calories. If anything comes up that proves aspartame and Acesulfame K are dangerous in some way that I have to worry about then I'll probably cut them out. I don't generally drink minerals except at the weekends, if out and about, so don't have too much to worry about probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Diet drinks are full of awful crap that are supposed to be really harmful to your body.

hardCopy wrote: »
    It's up there with MSG and mobile phones. Massive scaremongering, tons of research and nobody has ever shown it to be harmful. The controversy is bullsh1t.

But MSG makes chinese foods taste so damn good!!!

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Someone mentioned a caffeine free version of coke...if such a thing exists, can you please tell me where I can get it?
    I've seen it in loads of places. I'd be shocked if you're local Dublin supermarket didn't stock some. I've seen it in supervalu.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've seen it in loads of places. I'd be shocked if you're local Dublin supermarket didn't stock some. I've seen it in supervalu.

Isn't Coke zero meant to be caffene free?

I'd probably have about 5 cans of Coke a week, I love the stuff. There has definitely been a reduction in the quality of Coke over the last while but it's still number one for me. Pepsi is good too, however, those other brands such as American Cola are best kept away from.

Diet Coke and Coke Zero are disgusting and I lose a lot of respect for those who drink them.

Not really, the poor quality taste of Coke Zero is fairly well documented tbh. It would be the opinion of the majority of Coke drinkers.

Not really, since the sales have increased steadily (double digits % increase each year) over the past 5 years.

ScumLord wrote: »

Haven't been keeping an eye out or anything, but nope hadn't noticed it anywhere. Is it regular coke, just a caffeine free version?

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Haven't been keeping an eye out or anything, but nope hadn't noticed it anywhere. Is it regular coke, just a caffeine free version?
    That's what I thought, I thought it had a black and gold label.
    Isn't Coke zero meant to be caffene free?
    Well there you go then.

Nah, I've checked it, it's not.

Not really, since the sales have increased steadily (double digits % increase each year) over the past 5 years.

When you consider the fact that sales for normal Coke is over twice that of Coke Zero, it's fair to say that normal Coke is much more popular. There has been surveys and tests done on the taste and they have shown that normal Coke is nicer tasting to the majority of people.

Well the only reason I drink coke is for the caffene. If I want a light kick, I'll grab a coke. If things are bad and I need a nice heavy dose of caffene, then I'll grab a can of Red Bull! Don't really like coffee. Always end up burning my tongue and takes too long to drink...

When you consider the fact that sales for normal Coke is over twice that of Coke Zero, it's fair to say that normal Coke is much more popular. There has been surveys and tests done on the taste and they have shown that normal Coke is nicer tasting to the majority of people.

Sales for Coke are probably twice that of a huge amount of popular drinks, that doesn't mean the other drinks aren't performing well.

Again, a quick google doesn't back up what you're saying. Any Coke Zero taste tests that I've found have most people saying that they can't tell the difference.

Saying that you lose respect for people who prefer diet or Zero to regular coke is very silly!

Sales for Coke are probably twice that of a huge amount of popular drinks, that doesn't mean the other drinks aren't performing well.

I never said it wasn't performing well, I just said it's fairly well known that normal Coke is more popular due to it's taste (which it is).
    Saying that you lose respect for people who prefer diet or Zero to regular coke is very silly!

That was meant in jest! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭baboo800

Cherry coke kicks ass

Advertisement