Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold weather tips: Stopping your pipes from freezing

• 08-01-2010 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

A lot of people are now experiencing problems with frozen pipes in their attics.

A simple way to prevent this is to leave your attic door open!

It happened to us this morning. A couple of hours with the heating full on soon fixed the problem.

This will also reduce the chances of pipes bursting and eventually flooding.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

its no longer a cold snap

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

A lot of people are now experiencing problems with frozen pipes in their attics.

It happened to us this morning. A couple of hours with the heating full on soon fixed the problem.

Thanks for the Tip MacGyver

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Nahh leave the attic door in most modern houses open and half the house will catch pnuemonia.

An easier solution would be to run a 100w bulb up through a hole in the door. Yes this does work...and leave your down stairs tap on a very slow drip. If you are really over concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

snyper wrote: »
    Hey, don't thank me, thank the Moon's gravitational pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Where would such a thread exist? I can post an announcement pointing people to the thread/forum that this is discussed in if you want to set up a thread there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

TBH, the place that comes to mind for me is the Lifehacks forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Someone create a thread about cold(snap) tips and I'll announce it.

Actually, forget that, I'll move this thread there. If the mods don't want it here, feel free to move to where you think it's better placed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Nahh leave the attic door in most modern houses open and half the house will catch pnuemonia.

An easier solution would be to run a 100w bulb up through a hole in the door. Yes this does work...and leave your down stairs tap on a very slow drip. If you are really over concerned.
    Running a 100w bulb is what we do too and it never fails. However, I'd advise against a dripping tap, you're destroying our water infrastructure. With burst pipes, the water supply in many areas is now under extreme pressure. If more people start leaving their taps dripping, there'll most definetly be severe shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

shower is not working - water inlet pipe to shower is frozen. how can i prevent this happening once water resumes later tomorrow??

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Another tip I just read in the paper is to insulate the external stopcock by putting rags or foam or an old piece of carpet over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

jumpguy wrote: »
    ........ However, I'd advise against a dripping tap, you're destroying our water infrastructure. ........

....makes you a match for the local authority so, given their incompetence.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Running a 100w bulb is what we do too and it never fails. However, I'd advise against a dripping tap, you're destroying our water infrastructure. With burst pipes, the water supply in many areas is now under extreme pressure. If more people start leaving their taps dripping, there'll most definetly be severe shortages.

How do you expect the heat generated from a 100W bulb to heat your attic sufficiently to prevent the temp dropping below zero?????
    Its just coincidence it "never fails".

Best thing to ensure is that your attic pipes are insulated or @ least under the insulation, also your attic tank should have insulation on all sides and on the top(not the bottom)

Marty.

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....makes you a match for the local authority so, given their incompetence.....
    Sorry buddy, you can give me snide remarks all you want, but that's the truth.
    martyc5674 wrote: »
    How do you expect the heat generated from a 100W bulb to heat your attic sufficiently to prevent the temp dropping below zero?????
    Its just coincidence it "never fails".

Best thing to ensure is that your attic pipes are insulated or @ least under the insulation, also your attic tank should have insulation on all sides and on the top(not the bottom)

Marty.
    Not sure, of course insulation is definetly the best thing to do, and make sure the house is warm. But if you have a bulb in the attic - leave it on. You do know that bulbs are all that keep incubators and the likes warm? They defo help in the attic.

You do know that bulbs are all that keep incubators and the likes warm?

They are heat lamps in incubators though...a 100W bulb is designed to light not to heat (however traditional filament bulbs are inefficient and do give off heat)
    In any case 100W in you attic is piddly...it wont warm it the slightest.

To give you an idea a rad in a typical sitting room would be somewhere between 2KW and 3KW (20 to 30 100W light bulbs)...its designed to give out heat...your room is insulated and designed to keep in heat.
    Attics arent insulated and there is a gap around your eaves for ventilation(ie open window!!)

So dont waste your time sticking bulbs up the attics for gods sake!!
    Maybe a super ser up there!!
    Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

Another tip I just read in the paper is to insulate the external stopcock by putting rags or foam or an old piece of carpet over it.

Covering the stopcock has worked for me - water pipes froze twice over Christmas (inc Christmas Day), I read about defrosting the stopcock by pouring warm water around it which worked a treat!

I then moved the pet's wooden kennel over the stopcock (it's close to my back door, in case anyone thinks I'm tripping up the neighbours!!), and despite the temps getting down to -7 last night, water hasn't frozen since I covered it (yeh, I know I'm tempting fate now, aren't I!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Maybe a super ser up there!!
    Marty

That would heat the whole house before too long ;) Albeit briefly.
    I believe an insurance co. will now refuse to pay out for any damage caused by these antique death traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

milltown wrote: »
    That would heat the whole house before too long ;) Albeit briefly.
    I believe an insurance co. will now refuse to pay out for any damage caused by these antique death traps.

Didnt realise they were essentially illegal nowadays...they were all the rage when i was growing up!!
    Havent seen one in years...great yokes!! .....click click click BANG BANG BANG... starting em up was always hairy, flames could travel any distance across the room!
    Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭RizzoJR

Leave your COLD KITCHEN SINK tap dripping overnight
    into a container for re-use next morning

Leaving this tap dripping reduces the chance of your pipes
    freezing and you losing water like so many have already.

This is 2010 Ireland, getting economically raped by the bankers, and being fed continuous lies by Fianna Fail.

When you do the supposedly right thing and dont leave your tap dripping, and you lose your water
    you wont get ANY help from the government, who will blame the council, who will blame the builders, who are
    getting bailed out by government....

Ireland, what can go wrong next???

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Ill burst that one for ya!!
    The cables wouldnt get warm from a 100W current draw..if youd like to test this put your hand on the cable on any light bulb...it wont be warm.

• Advertisement

I should have said i dont support the idea of a dripping tap but if its the difference between a good and bad nights sleep for most i would allow the dripping tap.

My apologies... Never waste water or energy but sometimes there is times which its necessary...

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

pipes froze in my house that i rent out cos i went back to college nad the tenants up and left without paying the rent! they hadnt been there all over xmas no heat on and wondered why the pipes froze. anyways leaving the attic door open a tad and putting a wee blow heater up there will defrost the pipes enough then do the whole run the tap into a container to save water for tea trick! but not before you read the meter for the ones who up and left with one days without paying rent.... hehe!!! evil larf!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

snyper wrote: »

A typical Mac response would be "Don't thank me! Thank the gravitational pull of the moon!" ;)

RizzoJR wrote: »

This is 2010 Ireland, getting economically raped by the bankers, and being fed continuous lies by Fianna Fail.

When you do the supposedly right thing and dont leave your tap dripping, and you lose your water
    you wont get ANY help from the government, who will blame the council, who will blame the builders, who are

No point leaving your cold kitchen tap running. This is the mains before it comes into your house. You leave the cold bathroom tap running. pref the one downstairs if you have a cold bathroom tap downstairs.

The light bulb is a very old remedy given on the radio many years ago. I dont know if it works to be honest but you climb into many of the attics of an old house and you will see the light bulb hanging over the water tank.

Now i dont know about you but there is not many reasons i would hang a light over a water tank. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 damone

its no myth ,the heat of the bulb takes the bite out of the cold in you re attic ,has worked for all of my 37 years and plenty of folk i know ,it get ****in cold and drafty in attics so leavin the trapdoor open isnt always a good idea!!!by the way over the tank is definitly not the place to put any electrical object obviously !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 subiedunne

Our water supplies are running dangerously low please do not leave your taps running, and if your attic is up to date with insulation it should be okay. Keep the light on if it makes you feel better but it won't do much in heating the attic..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 subiedunne

do not leave your taps on nation cannot cope, we are very low on water as it is...

damone wrote: »
    its no myth ,the heat of the bulb takes the bite out of the cold in you re attic ,has worked for all of my 37 years and plenty of folk i know ,!

Sorry but its a myth!!...A 100W bulb wouldnt warm your socks never mind a large uninsulated draughty attic..its nonsense and you have just been lucky/your pipes are well covered.

subiedunne speaks sense...listen to him/her!

Marty.

RizzoJR wrote: »

Right, I'm not bringing politics into this (it's brought into every argument now, but this is one argument where it's not relevant at ALL) but just look at it like this. Pipes are bursting around the country and this is draining reservoirs rapidly, and decreasing mains water pressure. Water pressure is important for certain machines, and most commonly electric showers. If people start advising to leave water dripping, this is going to exasperate the problem immensely, and the water will have to be switched off at night (I heard it already is being switched off in some places). Then we'll see how much water-flow problems you have.

I'm pretty sure the bulb (not sure if the one in this attic is 100W) must help somewhat. Ours is hanging over the water tank too. It can only help and there have never been frozen attic pipes. Call it a coincidence or not, that's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We used have what I think was called a chick lamp, a huge bulb that was red on the lower part, we used that to stop the pipes freezing in the attic but that was years ago. In the house we are in now the chimney runs up through the centre of the house and the water tank is beside it. It isn't usually cold enough to test this theory but so far we havent had any frozen pipes.

Advertisement