Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Private' VPN software

Options
  • 27-02-2014 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

This may be more of a terminology issue...however I am frustrated with the 'Public' IP masking versions

I want to setup an old school VPN where club members can connect, to deliver and collect files. Cloud is not an option, as some members have (outdated?) security concerns

It must have a Free to try version. if its cheap and reliable then maybe will pay.
    I thought of teamviewer, but only 5 clients allowed. Any other ideas??

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Do you want to set this up at home ?

Good home routers support VPN.

I've an old Linksys WRT54G router which supports the DD-WRT third party firmware. That adds a lot of extra functionality, including OpenVPN.

Now I'm sure it's tricky to set up, but it's a free home option.
    Then have a NAS drive, or PC with shared folders accessible on the LAN when people to connect. Maybe with a different network subnet to separate it from your normal LAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You can set up an OpenVPN server on a RaspberryPi sitting in a DMZ isolated from your own network with a usb connected hard drive. The USB connection is likely to be faster than your internet so the fact that the hard drive is connected via a usb won't be a problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

whizbang wrote: »
    (outdated?)

Very much so. Pretty much any cloud storage provider will have excellent security in place and it is likely to be a far more secure option than self hosting via VPN.

Not to mention that it'll probably be free for the type of usage you are talking about, far easier to use and far more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Thanks Folks,

I have done the DDNS router thing before, not so reliable, but reality, nobody wants to host it.

I will push the cloud so.

Advertisement