Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Full soft drinks or diet soft drinks?

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Full-sugar.

If you're going to do something wrong, do it right. :cool:

SamHall wrote: »
    Coke zero tastes ten times better than regular coke.

Ewww, no it doesn't.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    heavy sugar diet size 8-10 bitches! :P :pac:

Eh, I wouldn't brag about that! :confused:

Thin =/= healthy.

topper75 wrote: »
    Soft drinks are gut rot. And the diet ones are worse again with the aspartame. God bless the little imaginations of those who continue to fool themselves about what they are consuming.

I haven't seen anyone on this thread claim that these drinks are anything other than junk. :confused:

Many responders probably only have them the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I like fizzy water sometimes over soft drinks on occasion, it's not carbonation that's all that bad for you, Carbonic acid will melt your teeth is rubbish, it's too weak to do anything much. Sugar does the real damage, brushing your teeth directly after a sugary drink will spread it around, either let saliva do the work or drink water.
    Diet drinks won't do the damage that the sugary ones do. Still, Pepsi with fresh lemon juice is among my favorite drinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

GarIT wrote: »
    If you're really on a diet drink water.
    I prefer diet water.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I'll have a garlic chips, cheese burger, chicken burger and a diet coke.
    I'm watching my weight :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Spar cola is actually quite nice. Tastes like flat coke.

I have been taking a liking to it recently. I also have a habit of degassing carbonated soft drinks as they are far nicer without the gas, so this may make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I haven't seen anyone talk about the virtues of Lidl Freeland diet cola yet.
    It's 79 cents for 2 litres and it tastes just as good as diet coke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Akrasia wrote: »

But diet coke doesn't taste good?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

If I do go for it, I go for the sugar.

I can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners, it makes the drink taste like baby sick. Yuch.

That's one of the few complaints I have about Lidl - ALL their drinks, diet or regular, contain artificial sweeteners, Aspartame or Saccharine. And as a result, they all taste like sick. :mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Does anyone here remember the taste of chewing gum before they brought in artificial sweeteners?

Does anyone here buy chewing gum with sugar in it anymore?

I'd say that most people would get used to, and even start to like the taste of artificial sweeteners if they gave them a proper chance

I also think that a lot of the hostility to sugar free drinks is some kind of 'macho' sillyness where 'diet drinks are for girls' is the underlying reason for the preference the 'manly drinks'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Does anyone here remember the taste of chewing gum before they brought in artificial sweeteners?

I'd say that most people would get used to, and even start to like the taste of artificial sweeteners if they gave them a proper chance

I also think that a lot of the hostility to sugar free drinks is some kind of 'macho' sillyness where 'diet drinks are for girls' is the underlying reason for the preference the 'manly drinks'

Took me a few hours to get used to the slight taste difference between coke and coke zero. The next day I couldn't tolerate the syrupy sickly sweet real coke. By switching a 3L a day coke habit to zero, I cut 1200kcals from my diet in one fell swoop. With the metabolic syndrome caused by the sugar gone, the symptoms which include excessive thirst abated and I found I was now 'only' drinking 1.5L of the Zero, thus cutting my caffeine intake in half as a side effect.

Coke Zero and electronic Cigarettes have made my vices safe and saved my a fcuktonne of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I'm not sure. I think it's because of the highlighted dangers around aspartame.

I don't chew gum a lot, never have, but I've got the same problem with the sweeteners in there.
    They taste like sick, sweet and sour and bitter. It's just a vile taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭chosen1

Went out today and bought a can of Coke Zero after reading this thread. Didn't realise it was different to diet Coke up to now.

It certainly is more similar to coke than the diet version. The not so nice sweetner after taste is still there, but it's definatly close. Wonder if this thread did anything to up its sales?

I don't think O've seen Fentiman's Cola mentioned here. Not cheap but it's really nice and not very fizzy. Pity they seem to only sell in tiny bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I rarely drink that stuff as i prefer my tea but it would have to be a lemon drink. I would pick anything and everything before coke.

San Pellegrino Limonata is lovely. Takes my mind off the sunburn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Archeron

Regular coke or Pepsi max, purely on the basis of taste. Diet coke is the most disgusting drink in the universe, I'd rather drink a glass of hobo vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Caliden wrote: »
    I challenge anyone to be able tell the difference between regular coke and coke zero after an hour in the fridge.
    dunno about zero, but I can spot regular drom diet at any temperature.

and I prefer the taste of diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Diet coke is nicer imho, normal coke is too thick and sweet. But if you're used to normal coke, diet coke tastes like water.

Water is obviously the best if you're thirsty, but i find it hard to pay €1.50 for a bottle of water in spar. Should be more like €0.20

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

neither, you can keep your carcinogenic liquids and aspartame ta very much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Full fat Coke all the way, anytime I drink Diet coke (or any other diet drink, tbh) afterwards I'm like, WTF did I just put into my body. Not that regular coke is full of natural goodness, but it doesn't have that awful aftertaste that Diet has.
    I quite like Coke Zero though, I find it's near enough to the real thing to drink when I'm craving some but don't want to drink liquid calories. However I went through a phase of drinking a lot of it after it came out and noticed it made my pee smell weird. (Oversharing hooray)

In all fairness though, water FTW. I've weaned myself off the fizzies a lot, used to drink maybe a litre or more a day but now keep them for treats or as a mixer only. I've gotten into the habit of keeping a pint if cold water on my desk and feel much better for it.

Advertisement