Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bigger Girls: Are They More Popular than We Think?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually he's right enough on the hip waist ratio. It's one of the few constants of female attractiveness across cultures and time. Rubens women have the same as the Venus de Milo who in turn has the same as Kate moss who has the same as Marilyn Monroe.

Interestingly women close to or at this ideal are on average more fertile, with fewer hormonal issues and metabolic issues like glucose intolerance etc than women who aren't. Where fat is laid down seems to make the difference. Women generally are less prone to classic heart attacks and one reason seems to be they tend to lay down more fat below the waist. Belly fat is bad news in men and women.

I read an interesting bit of research(which I'll try and dig up) that analysed the clothes fitting stats for Harrods of London(IIRC) over the last 100 years. Both men and women have gotten taller and broader on average. Body shape has also changed. Waist size has gotten larger over time and it grew more than the other stats. The classic hourglass figure in women was much more common in the past. It's apparently one of the rarer shapes now. Women are more straight up and down or carrying more fat around the belly compared to yesteryear.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Wooden Balloon Game

The Cool wrote: »
    To be fair, the attractiveness of the thigh gap is completely relative to your personal tastes. It is not a universal. But then is anything??

Reading through this thread I'm struck by how important women's appearances seem to be to us. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the most body confident myself either, but surely there is more to us than having space between our thighs or a bit extra wobble on our belly? I don't judge men's attractiveness based on their muscles or height, I look for someone who is compassionate, easy to talk to, makes me laugh... Why don't we rate our own attractiveness in the same way?
    Let's face it, physically attractive traits like toned legs or perky boobs aren't going to be sticking with us for very long anyway, in 20 years it'll be their personality that makes you love them, not how they look.

No one said looks or the gap is all that matters, simply that it is attractive to most men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

No one said looks or the gap is all that matters, simply that it is attractive to most men.

I didn't say it's all that matters, my issue is the importance you're placing on it, and your generalization that "it is attractive to most men". How would you know? Have you seen any surveys or psychological analyses that say so?
    You can't say that anything is attractive to "most" anything. Big boobs, flat chests, chunky legs, slim legs. It's all subjective. The thigh gap though I would particularly say is NOT something that most men find attractive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Let's face it, physically attractive traits like toned legs or perky boobs aren't going to be sticking with us for very long anyway, in 20 years it'll be their personality that makes you love them, not how they look.
    I know this is mentioned quite a lot, but I don't buy it myself. It depends how you look after yourself and that goes for men and women. If you have a good physique at 20, there's few enough reasons that you can't have pretty much that same physique at 40 or even 50 for that matter(one of the best looking figures I ever got up close and personal with :) was a woman of 42). Hell I'm the same clothes size now in my late 40's I was at 18 and it was hardly much effort on my part, other than if I noticed my jeans were tightening up I'd dial back on the sweets.

The reasons that are there? IMHO for men they have few to none other than eating too much, not moving enough. Men should with little enough effort keep the bod they had at 20 all the way to 50, if not 60. Women have more physical and hormonal challenges like menopause and pregnancy. Some women's appetites and bodies never go back to pre pregnancy levels. I've read somewhere it's a genetic thing. You see similar with some women on hormonal contraception. Some have no changes in body shape/size, while others can balloon. If it's down to the pill, it's hardly a willpower issue anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I don't doubt people find that gap attractive but the way it's being put out there on this thread as a really obvious thing that most men always look for, like boobs/pert ass/small waist/long legs etc... is obviously just disingenuousness. Most guys wouldn't even have heard of it. I wasn't aware of one as gaping and weird-looking as the one in the pic Whoopsadaisydoodles linked too. I do realise most people wouldn't find thighs rubbing together attractive, but that gap which is apparently so popular and well known is way "wider" than the one between a healthy woman's upper thighs that aren't rubbing together.

But yeh, it's important to reduce a human being to the level of a ****ing "gap"... :confused:

I think what people mean by "bigger" is chubbier than slim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

Pug160 wrote: »
    I've come to the conclusion that there are a lot of guys who like bigger girls but don't let on. On more than one occasion I've heard of a man cheating on his thin partner with a bigger girl. I think this is the perfect example of how people sometimes choose social status and social acceptance over what they actually want.

Anyway, that's my profound thought for today.

is that "man" you heard about the owner of Hollister?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

If you want something to hold on to..fill your boots

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually he's right enough on the hip waist ratio. It's one of the few constants of female attractiveness across cultures and time. Rubens women have the same as the Venus de Milo who in turn has the same as Kate moss who has the same as Marilyn Monroe.

Interestingly women close to or at this ideal are on average more fertile, with fewer hormonal issues and metabolic issues like glucose intolerance etc than women who aren't. Where fat is laid down seems to make the difference. Women generally are less prone to classic heart attacks and one reason seems to be they tend to lay down more fat below the waist. Belly fat is bad news in men and women.

I read an interesting bit of research(which I'll try and dig up) that analysed the clothes fitting stats for Harrods of London(IIRC) over the last 100 years. Both men and women have gotten taller and broader on average. Body shape has also changed. Waist size has gotten larger over time and it grew more than the other stats. The classic hourglass figure in women was much more common in the past. It's apparently one of the rarer shapes now. Women are more straight up and down or carrying more fat around the belly compared to yesteryear.

I'd be interested in that study, if you could find it.
    I've no doubt that waist sizes have grown, but I have to wonder about what impact fashion physically had on this.
    100 years ago, women would have been regularly wearing corsets, as would a good few men. And even in the 1950s, girdles and the like would have forced an hourglass figure on women - we are a little bit like trees in that sense, I suspect. If you put pressure on one area, the fat deposits more easily in another.

But I'm sure that this probably isn't the only factor. Maybe physical excercise plays a role as well? 100 years ago there would have been very few women who would excercise on a regular basis, so their muscles may have developed differently?

I didn't say it's all that matters, my issue is the importance you're placing on it, and your generalization that "it is attractive to most men". How would you know? Have you seen any surveys or psychological analyses that say so?
    You can't say that anything is attractive to "most" anything. Big boobs, flat chests, chunky legs, slim legs. It's all subjective. The thigh gap though I would particularly say is NOT something that most men find attractive.

I specifically would say a triangular thigh gap is attractive to most men. In basing this on my experiences to date. Consistently men find the women with the gap sexy. I have never stated how "important" it is, simply that men on the whole find it attractive.

I don't doubt people find that gap attractive but the way it's being put out there on this thread as a really obvious thing that most men always look for, like boobs/pert ass/small waist/long legs etc... is obviously just disingenuousness. Most guys wouldn't even have heard of it. I wasn't aware of one as gaping and weird-looking as the one in the pic Whoopsadaisydoodles linked too. I do realise most people wouldn't find thighs rubbing together attractive, but that gap which is apparently so popular and well known is way "wider" than the one between a healthy woman's upper thighs that aren't rubbing together.

But yeh, it's important to reduce a human being to the level of a ****ing "gap"... :confused:

I think what people mean by "bigger" is chubbier than slim.

You're projecting your own insecurities here, no one is reducing a woman to "a gap". It's simply a feature men tend to be attracted to like smooth skin or healthy long hair. Likewise there are physical signals women respond to such as broad shoulders and height.

• Advertisement

Ok Wooden Balloon Game, you like "the gap", in your experience most men that you have had interaction with are extremely attracted to women with "the gap" . In my experience (this thread), some men like the gap, some men like big bums, some men like small waists. In other words, everyone has their own personal taste.

I think we should leave the whole gap argument there tbh, it's getting a little tiresome.

You're projecting your own insecurities here, no one is reducing a woman to "a gap". It's simply a feature men tend to be attracted to like smooth skin or healthy long hair. Likewise there are physical signals women respond to such as broad shoulders and height.

She's projecting nothing ffs.

I just tried an experiment....feet together and standing straight, you could drive a suv between the gap between my thighs, all the way down to the knee.

To get a triangular gap I need to stick my butt out a good bit. This alters the shape of the gap to a more pronounced triangle.

So, maybe it's not the gap but the sticky-out butt that's attractive to men, or both.

Never gave so much consideration to something so trivial before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

The hip to waist ratio is the primary thing that makes a woman sexy, at the basic instinctive level. Overall size is not directly relevant to that, but a good ratio usually corresponds with being inside a healthy weight range anyway.

For appealing to primal instincts everything else is window dressing in comparison to the hips. A woman can have a butt-ugly face, but still have similar effects. Take Kelly Brook for example. It's not her big boobs that fire a response, it's her hips. That's what makes her more attractive than Lucy Pinder, for example, who is similar physically apart from flatter hips.

There is no doubt that the thigh gap is a manufactured concept. Most women will look worse not better if they "achieve" one.

Candie wrote: »

I just tried an experiment....feet together and standing straight, you could drive a suv between the gap between my thighs, all the way down to the knee.

To get a triangular gap I need to stick my butt out a good bit. This alters the shape of the gap to a more pronounced triangle.

So, maybe it's not the gap but the sticky-out butt that's attractive to men, or both.

if you're not interested don't discuss it.

I've made my point, I'm confident I'm right, it's been done to death, lets move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

To be fair, the attractiveness of the thigh gap is completely relative to your personal tastes. It is not a universal. But then is anything??

Hip/waist ratio as an indicator of both female fertility and attractiveness is a scientifically proven one

I would say this is due to differences in exercise and diet rather than genetic factors (a few generations isn't enough to make that much of a difference)
    . Hell I'm the same clothes size now in my late 40's I was at 18

You're how old? No wonder you know everything

• Administrators Posts: 53,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Thread means nothing without a definition of what "bigger" means.

"Curvy" seems to be an overused/misused word, used a lot to refer to people who are just overweight.

Nigella Lawson is the definition of curvy. Is she the sort of "bigger" girl referred to here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Candie wrote: »

Poor Wooden probably just tipp-ex'd his screen reading that, lol, near made me spill my coffee anyway as I'm sitting here outside a cafe watching girls walking up and down the street...

Purely in the name of science of course! :D

The hip to waist ratio is the primary thing that makes a woman sexy, at the basic instinctive level. Overall size is not directly relevant to that, but a good ratio usually corresponds with being inside a healthy weight range anyway.

For appealing to primal instincts everything else is window dressing in comparison to the hips. A woman can have a butt-ugly face, but still have similar effects. Take Kelly Brook for example. It's not her big boobs that fire a response, it's her hips. That's what makes her more attractive than Lucy Pinder, for example, who is similar physically apart from flatter hips.

There is no doubt that the thigh gap is a manufactured concept. Most women will look worse not better if they "achieve" one.

Ahh now, that's a bit of a toss off up in fairness, again- purely subjective opinion.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Poor Wooden probably just tipp-ex'd his screen reading that, lol, near made me spill my coffee anyway as I'm sitting here outside a cafe watching girls walking up and down the street...

I'm wearing something, it's not an x-rated event!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I think skinny/bony girls can be less attractive in some cases. Girls seem to think that starving themselves so their ribs become visible and they look emaciated will make boys like them. Only exercise and good diet will result in an attractive physique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I’ve always loved the triangular gap. I was expelled from school for riding my set square.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I would agree that curvy is a misused word. I see it used all the time to describe women who are obviously overweight and in some cases very overweight.
    Most sizes can be curvy depending on height, body shape etc.
    This whole gap thing is intruiging, I've hips and a small waste but I not a hint of a gap, I must be destined to be an old lonely cat lover!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Bodice loves the big ladies. Also, not mad about seeing daylight between the top of the thighs.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'd be interested in that study, if you could find it.
    I'll try and dig it up for you. I have the links somewhere.
    I've no doubt that waist sizes have grown, but I have to wonder about what impact fashion physically had on this.
    100 years ago, women would have been regularly wearing corsets, as would a good few men. And even in the 1950s, girdles and the like would have forced an hourglass figure on women - we are a little bit like trees in that sense, I suspect. If you put pressure on one area, the fat deposits more easily in another.
    Certainly the era of corsets would have to be excluded, but by the flapper 20's corsets were out, they made a bit of a comeback later on, but the trend towards fatter bellies(and larger breasts) was pretty clear.
    But I'm sure that this probably isn't the only factor. Maybe physical excercise plays a role as well? 100 years ago there would have been very few women who would excercise on a regular basis, so their muscles may have developed differently?
    Oh I'm sure activity patterns would be in play. Plus with a shop like Harrods class distinctions would be in play too. IIRC a number of other studies backed up the Harrods one, namely that people are taller and carrying more weight amidships.

On the activity front, while there are many women going to gyms etc today, women, people have more sedentary lives in general outside such activities. I would say if you looked at the stats of those who take regular exercise and eat small portions compared to the overall population, they're quite the small enough percentage. Go back 60 years and nigh on everyone was walking more, had few of the labour saving devices as we have and were eating far less sugar and starches and more of a meat and two veg diet. Hell I didn't really see pasta in any amount on people's plates until the 80's. Chinese food ditto and any sort of takeaway food was a treat rather than approaching a staple. Tobacco use in the past in men anyway(women tended to smoke less) might be also a factor as it's both an appetite suppressant and increases metabolism.
    --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I would say this is due to differences in exercise and diet rather than genetic factors (a few generations isn't enough to make that much of a difference)
    Oh sure K. It's down to environment rather than DNA(though I suspect crappy diets, especially hi sugar diets may switch off/on genes in the body making the problem worse). Indeed when people say they're fat because of their genetics I ask them to dig out old photos of their grandparents or better yet their great grandparents and get back to me. In most cases, but not all of course, their ancestors were thinner, if not much thinner. We've evolved to be lean. The body doesn't like much extra fat on the bones at all. Doubly so for blokes. We evolved to add fat quite easily to cover our arses in lean times*, but I suspect being overweight makes the body feel it's in danger mode and responds accordingly with health issues. In modern society you can be approaching gigantic and still survive even thrive, while back in the day something hairy and toothy would have seen you of if you couldn't run away fast enough, so the obese were rare, or a damn fine meal, depending on which side of the teeth you were. :)

You're how old? No wonder you know everything
    I'm old enough to know that I know fcuk all and have forgotten most of it. :D

*I've always suspected one of modern humans killer app was the ability to grow a bit of a belly and that was a big advantage compared to some of our cousins. Apparently Neandertals just got bigger muscles if they ate more, which in turn meant they had to eat more to sustain them as muscles chomp through calories like a hungry shark even when at rest. They reckon an adult male Neandertal required at least 3500 calories per day to get by, the higher in protein and fat the better. You wanna lose weight? Lift weights. Big ones. Dieting reduces lean mass so in the long term you're getting rid of one of the biggest calorie consumers in the body and getting fatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Oh sure K. It's down to environment rather than DNA(though I suspect crappy diets, especially hi sugar diets may switch off/on genes in the body making the problem worse). Indeed when people say they're fat because of their genetics I ask them to dig out old photos of their grandparents or better yet their great grandparents and get back to me. In most cases, but not all of course, their ancestors were thinner, if not much thinner. We've evolved to be lean. The body doesn't like much extra fat on the bones at all. Doubly so for blokes. We evolved to add fat quite easily to cover our arses in lean times*, but I suspect being overweight makes the body feel it's in danger mode and responds accordingly with health issues. In modern society you can be approaching gigantic and still survive even thrive, while back in the day something hairy and toothy would have seen you of if you couldn't run away fast enough, so the obese were rare, or a damn fine meal, depending on which side of the teeth you were. :)

I wonder what effect, if any, a famine might have on a population?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I wonder what effect, if any, a famine might have on a population?

I suspect the body might not like that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

I suspect the body might not like that either.

But would it have put a selective pressure on a certain body type or trait?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I suggest we start a new thread on a slightly different topic:

[Shorter/Skinnier/Chubbier] Boys: Are They More Popular Than We Think?

See if anyone gives a flying feck!

But would it have put a selective pressure on a certain body type or trait?

Likely it would. For example, Pacific islanders tend to pack on a bit of weight because their ancestors would have migrated over on boats. People who naturally held more weight were more likely to survive to trip over the sea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Likely it would. For example, Pacific islanders tend to pack on a bit of weight because their ancestors would have migrated over on boats. People who naturally held more weight were more likely to survive to trip over the sea

Some cultures look favourably on the well upholstered lady, as a sign of weath.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement