Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB SSD €75 shipped

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭johnwd

Thanks, just ordered one. Price is great - don't know about the product, but can't get burned too much at this price.

Only problem is that the product is now out of stock.

Edit: Just read some reviews and have decided that even at that price it might be dodgy ... cancelled order.

• It also looks on Camecamelcamel like it has been that price for a while now, so maybe not the sudden bargain I thought it was. Saw it at the top of movers and shakers and assumed it was heavily discounted.

Certainly I never seen a 120GB SSD for €75 before but maybe im out of the loop.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

A lot of OCZ SSDs have high failure rates or problems with them, but those are mainly the ones that use the Sandforce controller. The Vertex Plus is one of the earliest SSDs and uses the Indilinx controller so its more stable. Its probably one of the slowest SSDs, but at that price its hard to complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Awful experience with these drives in the past. Corsair too actually, maybe I've just been unlucky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭Elessar

How memory prices have come down!!

I remember paying €450 odd for the Vertex 120GB when it was first launched in 2009. Now it's €75! Amazing.

Still using it as my daily hard drive BTW with zero problems and it is anything but "slow" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the problems with the sandforce drives is long fixed at this stage and at worst, if you have issues a firmware update should sort them out.

i have 2x 60gb ocz agility 3's in raid0 running in my main fig for over a year now with no issues although i did have problems with the 60gb corsair ssd i had before it, that is now running smoothly in another system now with the updated firmware.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

looks like a great price, tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Thanks OP, think it's about time for me to move the boot drive on my main machines to SSD purely for the speed gains, and this looks like the right price point versus size - though it's out of stock at the mo. The Agility 3 isn't horrible value at approx €115, but I've only got SATA2 motherboards and probably wouldn't see any additional benefit over the Vertex Plus.

Should be a substantial speed increase on one of my machines that currently has one of those 'green' harddrives in it with rubbish performance that were all the rage a few years back and were supposed to somehow magically save the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed that this item has been out of stock since this afternoon?

• Rsaeire wrote: »
    Is it just me or has anybody else noticed that this item has been out of stock since this afternoon?

It was already out of stock when I posted it. But you guarantee it at this price when you order. And you can cancel any time before they ship if you see it cheaper elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

2 year warranty plus for 13.99 if concerned.. will have to wait till pay day for this one.. will be buying two anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 oneway2

Got one of these a few months ago (from scan.co.uk)

It failed a couple of weeks ago.

I rang the helpdesk, once I quoted the part number, they arranged a replacement. there was none of the usual questions - did I drop it, or spill water on it. So they know they're failing.

take lots of backups

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

oneway2 wrote: »
    Got one of these a few months ago (from scan.co.uk)

It failed a couple of weeks ago.

I rang the helpdesk, once I quoted the part number, they arranged a replacement. there was none of the usual questions - did I drop it, or spill water on it. So they know they're failing.

take lots of backups

Scan are the best :)
    I'd probably go for this if I wasn't so set on a Crucial M4...
    The advantages of a marvel drive controller are just too much...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Nazata wrote: »
    Scan are the best :)
    I'd probably go for this if I wasn't so set on a Crucial M4...
    The advantages of a marvel drive controller are just too much...

Indeed. I bought an M4 and love it; no complaints ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

at that price i would go for an OCZ Vertex Agility 3 60Gig drive for £56.23( ok, before everyone chimes in, not the fastest, asynch mem etc, but superb performance for the price ), ok less space but i have a 120 gig version and tbh other than OS and a few apps its pointless stuffing everything on it( until theyre cheaper per gig than Harddrives ).

The drives come into their own for boot times, however windows is soo crappy theres minimal difference in the top end SSD to medium/consumer market drives. 8 is supposed to have improved that, havnt tried it yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

So was/is that a 128GB or a 60GB?

Just looking at the Product Specifications on that page it says 60GB but the rest says 128GB?

Product Specifications
    General
    Brand: OCZ
    Item Height : 10 millimetres
    Item Width: 7.1 centimetres
    Hard Drive
    Hard Drive Size: 60 GB

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's 120, you can tell from the old price.

Also as regards it being slower than faster drives, if you buy 2 and put them in raid you have a 240gb ssd that is as fast as the newest ssds for 150e. Pity I dont have 150e :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

oh pay day, pay day, wherefore art thou pay day? :(

• Down a few quid now. £54.99. SSD prices are going nuts, makes a nice change from spinning HDDs prices a few months ago.

Gets better and better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

It's 120, you can tell from the old price.

Also as regards it being slower than faster drives, if you buy 2 and put them in raid you have a 240gb ssd that is as fast as the newest ssds for 150e. Pity I dont have 150e :p

Temptation is reaching critical levels here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

The crucial M4 has come way down now too. Currently £62.48 or about 78 euro delieverd. This one is a good offer too but the M4 is a better drive.

Redisle wrote: »
    The crucial M4 has come way down now too. Currently £62.48 or about 78 euro delieverd. This one is a good offer too but the M4 is a better drive.

But also half the storage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Ah! Hadn't realised this was 120gb! Fantastic value at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Leaving aside the excellent value OP, just to note that, Pixmania seems to have similar prices (inc delivery and the adjusted VAT rate) on SSD.

On lower capacities, Pixmania seems to have the edge
    So, the Crucial M4 64GB works out at €79 delivered. Amazon gives me a total of about €81 for the same drive including delivery.

The OCZ Agility 3 60GB is about €74 delivered on Pixmania. Going through Amazon's checkout the price is €74.89

On higher capacities, Amazon has the slight edge (Komplett also tend to have beet prices than Pixmania on this range):

The OCZ Agility 3 120GB:
    Pixmania €134 Amazon €117

Crucial M4 128GB
    Pixmania €140 Amazon €120.61

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ordered one of these last night but I can't see them coming back into stock but hell you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Not a great ssd. I would pay more for this myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

ch750536 wrote: »
    Not a great ssd. I would pay more for this myself.

Apples and Oranges.

That costs almost twice as much.

The Vertex Plus does 250MB/s read and 160MB/s write, considering that Sata 2 maxs at about 285MB/s read it is perfectly quick and well suited to Sata2 devices and even Sata3 for the cheap price.

Thanks OP I've a 60GB OCZ Agility 3 which I love and I've ordered this for my Laptop. SSD FTW!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

psicic wrote: »
    Crucial M4 128GB
    Amazon €120.61

thats the best deal out of all of them. One of the best ssds out there

Advertisement