Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gestational Diabetes in pregnancy - NO MEDICAL ADVICE.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭80sbaby

Karmella wrote: »
    Didn't think of that option! On amazon they look about the same price unfortunately.

I was in the pharmacy today picking up another lot of them and the pharmacist thinks that they might be covered by the long term illness after all, she's checking it out and will ring me when she knows more.

I've been prescribed tablets to take for 2 weeks and if they don't bring down the readings they'll go the insulin route. At least I can stop feeling guilty now!

Sorry for jumping in, I was diagnosed with GD at 18 weeks - tested early due to family history, anyway the diabetic nurse filled out a form for me to send into to Long term illness, GD qualifies, it takes a week to 10 days for the card to come through, when you get it, your gp transcribes the list of meds including needles and text strips onto it. My pharmacy then refunded me for the strips I'd bought the week before, hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

The diabetic nurse I went to explained that due to cutbacks, gestational diabetes isnt considered eligible for long term illness card anymore.. as its only for pregnancy. However, that said, they can write it up as just diabetes and work around the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭80sbaby

dustie1 wrote: »
    The diabetic nurse I went to explained that due to cutbacks, gestational diabetes isnt considered eligible for long term illness card anymore.. as its only for pregnancy. However, that said, they can write it up as just diabetes and work around the system.

I only got mine the week before last and it says gestational diabetes on it, maybe it depends on the part of the country, but definitely worth asking 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

9.8!!!!!! Officially my worst result yet :(. Had an 8.5 this morning aswell. These tablets aren't worth a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

9.8!!!!!! Officially my worst result yet :(. Had an 8.5 this morning aswell. These tablets aren't worth a ****.

Oh no I hate having high readings like that, Did you have anything out of the ordinary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I'd be freaking!! Did u eat something different? Maybe a food diary for a few days would help identify foods that send u over. I'm over in donegal staying with friends and t
    My routine is all over the place, I'm not doing too bad though, I had one high read of 7.2 yesterday but all normal since.. The only thing that's wrecking my head is I can't remember if they said to test an hour before eating or after eating.. So all my reads could be off anyway!! :confused::eek:

cbyrd wrote: »
    I'd be freaking!! Did u eat something different? Maybe a food diary for a few days would help identify foods that send u over. I'm over in donegal staying with friends and t
    My routine is all over the place, I'm not doing too bad though, I had one high read of 7.2 yesterday but all normal since.. The only thing that's wrecking my head is I can't remember if they said to test an hour before eating or after eating.. So all my reads could be off anyway!! :confused::eek:

It's an hour after eating unless you are in insulin then you have to test before and after!

Not 1 read over 5 before eating and not 1 over 6.5 after eating .. I'm back in the clinic tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see what they say, I'll also be talking to the dieitian for the first time too and I get a bonus scan. I can't see how (unless I'm testing wrong) I can be diabetic with low sugar readings :confused:

Not 1 read over 5 before eating and not 1 over 6.5 after eating .. I'm back in the clinic tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see what they say, I'll also be talking to the dieitian for the first time too and I get a bonus scan. I can't see how (unless I'm testing wrong) I can be diabetic with low sugar readings :confused:

That's great! That's the levels they should be! You will probably find as you go further along into pregnancy that they will get higher as the hormones are getting stronger and blocking your insulin receptors!

I was put on to medication yesterday and ill be back at my clinic in 3 weeks, I'll expect to be put on to insulin then!

They did a scan yesterday and baby is perfect size so that's good!

Yep, normal levels by going back to my normal diet :D I had tried to follow the 3 meals a day idea the diabetic nurse said I should follow I was having higher reads, its frustrating and funny, when I follwed advice it all went to pot!! I've had desserts in friends houses over the few days we were away.. And no high reads .. It'll be an interesting chat tomorrow I'd say. I'm 28 weeks tomorrow and wearing size 12 tops ..

• Advertisement

Had my first clinic app yesterday and everything is fine. The consultant was the same guy I saw on my last pregnancy and he explained with a shrug that the 'guidelines' have changed otherwise he'd have done the same thing as last time and sent me home..
    So all my reads were normal but they're keeping me on the 'diet' till I pop.. I saw the dietitian for the first time yesterday too. She couldn't fault either my diet or my portion sizes so I'm okay there too.. yay! I haven't changed anything :D
    I've gained 1.1 lbs in 2 weeks and overall they're happy with the weight gain so far. All surprised I still go to the gym 3 times a week and most of what the nurse said to me 2 weeks ago was dismissed by the dietitian...
    Scan showed baby is perfect and she's 74 on the percentile growth which is on the medium size of babyness size ... (?:confused:?) so she's fine too :D
    Got a big correct on the 3 pages of my results... i felt like asking for a gold star :pac::pac::pac:

That's great news cbyrd, you must be so relieved!!

My results are still shyte - although I did get a couple of 4's the last few days. I'm back in Monday again (36 weeks). They were talking about insulin the last day, but honestly I don't think they'll have time to get me set up. :o

That's great news cbyrd, you must be so relieved!!

My results are still shyte - although I did get a couple of 4's the last few days. I'm back in Monday again (36 weeks). They were talking about insulin the last day, but honestly I don't think they'll have time to get me set up. :o

Have you been having growth scans on baby? Do they know the weight?

Judging from my previous experience, i fell within the 'guidelines' on my last pregnancy but the consultant used his judgement and decided to not put me through the clinic.. this was based on his experience with stomach and bowel problems affecting blood sugar levels too.

This time round the risk level was 10.0 .. this is what i had after the first hour as opposed to 11.6 on my last pregnancy.
    Why do they change the 'guidelines' every few years? my last baby was 6lbs 8ozs, not exactly a bruiser..

I'm getting quite skeptical now that just because I fit into a box on one test day, I'm now required to fill in a book that, lets be honest, is not fool proof, there's no food diary to go with the testing so it could be more complete. This way it'd be so much easier to see what is causing spikes in blood sugars.
    I find sweet things eaten just after a meal don't make me spike, however, if i eat 2 servings of carbs (2 slices of brown bread with my breakfast for example) it goes slightly higher, It all seems to be ' Here you are with this number, now you have to pay x amount of money every week for strips and lancets because because because' !!
    What struck me as interesting was how the dietitian asked me about my diet, with nothing to back it up only my word for it.. and... the numbers written in the book are completely at my discretion.
    I know it's in my best interest and the baby's to be healthy but it's a very flawed system. I also am a bit miffed that even with no pattern of high reads (3 because of incorrect timing ) I am still required to put in 7 reads for the next 12 weeks...:(
    Sorry for the amazing rant but I'm having a sore finger monday :mad:

I think your rant is justified and I feel the same way, was in today and they've upped my dose to 3 tabs a day instead if 2, my results were a tiny bit better the last week, but as far as I can see it's a complete lottery, I'm keeping a food diary but I could eat the same thing 2 days in a row and get different results! And also I rarely go above the limit on my post meals, so that makes me think that my diet is making no difference. It's just all the pre-meal readings are a disaster. So have dropped another 70 euro in the chemist there and for what?! Yeah I've a big baby, big deal - my last baby was big too and he's fine!

Rant rant rant.

The only thing I've seen that brings my numbers down quickly is on gym day.. i won't have a read over 5 all that day no matter what I eat.. I was saving this day for my treats.. turns out, i don't really need to, :rolleyes:

The only thing I've seen that brings my numbers down quickly is on gym day.. i won't have a read over 5 all that day no matter what I eat.. I was saving this day for my treats.. turns out, i don't really need to, :rolleyes:

That's the one thing I'm not doing actually, regular exercise, but can't even go for a decent walk at this stage :/

Swimming can be great especially in the 30's weeks even just to walk round in the water cos you've no weight to support in the water, I'm hoping to start the odd day once i get the kids back to school.. I'm not a fan of random walking for walking sake.. I need to have somewhere to go :D plus on the treadmill in the gym I get to watch other people (mainly the weightlifters :D) and it distracts me. Specially as in my head i can be mean with the slackers and convince myself i'm brilliant.. there's nothing funnier than watching people árse round the gym chatting or just about exercising ...why bother going...
    *i'm so bloody fantastic* :eek::D:pac:

Yeah I should try swimming alright - will try when I finish work this week.

So as of today I've been put on insulin. As well as 3 tablets of metformin a day. At least I was able to get the drug payment scheme sorted - they put in an emergency application in the chemist today which saved me about 150 euro I think as I got the purchase in before the end of the month (I'd already spent about 140 this month as it was) Got a shedload of testing strips and the insulin - more than enough for the rest of the pregnancy.

That's great news that you can save so much, but crap that you have to take so much drugs... :( I'm starting to doubt the medical profession, I had a blow out this weekend, kids were in their dad's til tomorrow and last night I ordered a big dirty pizza from domino's, complete with wedges and garlic bread, then had half a tub of icecream... 1 hour post pigfest.. 5.9 ... I was expecting it to be about 20 :eek: I was so surprised.. 4.9 before my breakfast this morning, 4.1 after .. (I did an hour's hard housework cos I have a free house) So I have no idea when the troubling numbers kick in or what they have to reach for me to know if I actually do have a problem.. and if I don't, why am I stabbing myself 7 times a day and sitting in the clinic for 2 hours every other week. Ah well.. such is life i guess :confused:

• Advertisement

:o nearly had to eat my words yesterday, my numbers were high all day except the 2 after cutting the grass.. between 7 and 7.3. I was in the clinic and was told keep doing what you're doing and I'm not back now for 3 weeks. I was very stressed yesterday and I did my ice bucket challenge in the evening time :eek: This morning, all the numbers are back down in the middle to high 4's.
    Funny you wouldn't think stress could have such an effect on blood sugars!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mummilk

Would anyone minding pming the diet sheets that the hospital gives out? I have my test in 3 weeks and as I have been inhaling sugar since getting pregnant I want to try and follow the diet before the test and cross everything that all is OK! TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Mummilk wrote: »
    Would anyone minding pming the diet sheets that the hospital gives out? I have my test in 3 weeks and as I have been inhaling sugar since getting pregnant I want to try and follow the diet before the test and cross everything that all is OK! TIA

I'm in for a check up next week after a hospital visit. I'm planning on asking for a dietician visit or a suggested diet. I've finally got my appetite back after months of vomiting. I think it's the perfect time to completely settle my diet into good habits. I'd love a look too if anyone wouldn't mind sharing

This is kind of a double edged sword question, yoy are asked not to change your diet before the test in order for it to be accurate, then if you test positive you follow the diet and exercise regime. The reason for this is it is not just diet that causes it but hormones produced by the placenta. The diet is the first way they start to control it. Exercise is so important too. Even if you're not diabetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ive just been diagnosed and hospital told me nothing about how to get the test strips or where to get them. Are u entitled to get them for free? If not, do u need a prescription? Not a nce condition to have and im feeling lightheaded all the time since i was diagnosed and had to change my diet

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mommababe

I was diagnosed last week and im 29 weeks. Not impressed as i feel unwell since i started the diet and felt perfectly fine before! Anyhow the hispital never told me how to get more strips for testing? Do they sup

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mommababe

I was diagnosed last week and im 29 weeks. Not impressed as i feel unwell since i started the diet and felt perfectly fine before! Anyhow the hispital never told me how to get more strips for testing? Do they supply them? Or do we have to buy them? Money tight with xmas coming etc so what kind if cost am i looking at? Do u need a prescription to get them? Any info greatly welcommed as i havent a clue! Thanks

Mommababe wrote: »
    I was diagnosed last week and im 29 weeks. Not impressed as i feel unwell since i started the diet and felt perfectly fine before! Anyhow the hispital never told me how to get more strips for testing? Do they supply them? Or do we have to buy them? Money tight with xmas coming etc so what kind if cost am i looking at? Do u need a prescription to get them? Any info greatly welcommed as i havent a clue! Thanks

It seems to be different everywhere but in cork we have to get them ourselves. I had to get a prescription from the gp for the strips and lancets. Make sure that the script covers you for the rest of the pregnancy. The strips come in boxes of 50 and if you are testing 7 times a day that equates to a weeks worth. The bad news is that a box of 50 is about 35 euro! But if you get all the ones you need within a calendar month then you only have to pay for maybe 3 weeks worth & the lancets. That should bring you up to the 140 euro. Apply for a drug payments scheme card immediately if you don't already have one. Your pharmacy will have the forms, fill them out when you are getting the first lot.

Yes it sucks totally to have to fork out so much and I totally made a mess of it and ended up paying way more than I should've :( If you get put on insulin that's really expensive aswell cos you have to buy a box of 5 pens and I only ended up using barely half of one of them. But if you are lucky you'll get it in the same month!!!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

You have to buy them I'm afraid. If you have a prescription you can register for the drugs payment scheme, max payment €144 per month (the strips are pretty expensive to buy without this)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

If you have a medical card you don't have to pay.
    If not you have to pay, it used to be free but they changed it recently so you have to pay.
    If your gp is approachable he/she might fill out a long term illness card and you will not have to pay. You can get an application form for a long term illness card from your chemist and then bring to your gp. It is worth a try, some doctors have no problem with helping out.
    Good luck with this.

Advertisement