Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beads versus foam for cavity in redbrick - the porous question

• 06-04-2013 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi folks - looking for a little help. I can almost find the answer on previous threads but need convincing / reassurance

We are retro a 1993 red bricked bungalow which has a cavity filled with flimsy white board at present. We are going to fill the cavity from inside and then dry line with 82 mm insulated board internally.

The question of what to fill the cavity with has come up - foam versus bonded beads

From what I understand here are the pros and cons

foam
    pros
    lower u value
    better air tightness
    fills the gaps between the filmsy aeroboard as pumped in under pressure

Cons
    not on grant
    dear - ours is 1500 e dearer
    ?water permeability
    not certified in Ireland

bonded beads
    pros
    tried and tested
    cheaper
    on the grant
    no water permeability

cons
    may not fill the cavity as aeroboard kind of gets in the way
    higher u value

My concerns are if I go for foam how real is the risk of water transfer. Whereas if I go for the beads will the cavity be underfilled dramatically thus defeating the purpose. I know that there is a cash concern here which is always real but which long term would be value for money? I know red brick is permeable. Is this a factor?

Other information that may be important we are trying for as good air tightness as possible - expanding foam to eves of atic. Also going for mechanical heat ventilation and triple glazing.

Hope I posted in correct place as first post - have been reading forums for a long time - class tool.

Thanks for you opinions and expertise :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,803 ✭✭✭✭muffler

laugh gov wrote: »
    not certified in Ireland
    You have answered your own question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Why are you considering using a product which is not certified for use here?
    Why pumping from the inside when there is already an insulation board fixed to the inner leaf? If this board gets disturbed by the drilling/pumping, you may well end up worse off insulation wise.
    Where is the house located and is it exposed? This may inform the answer whether it is a good idea at all to full fill brick cavities.

Have you had your proposed wall make up modelled for moisture build up over time?

Regarding airtightness:
    1 Who is advising to close the eves ventilation?
    2. who is advising expanding foam as airtightness barrier?

Do you have any professional input on this project?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 laugh gov

thank you taking the mick

Why not consider something thats not certified for use here - Irelands hardly world leading in anything and is very conservative. I think it is certified in uk which has the same climate. Hence I pose the question is it worth it?

The house has a sheltered site

not sure what you mean by "Have you had your proposed wall make up modelled for moisture build up over time?" this is a retrofit

No one is advising to close the eves ventilation. No one is advising foam as an airtightness barrier. Yes there is a professional involved - I thought Id do my own research.

muffler wrote: »
    You have answered your own question :)
    Have I?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

thank you taking the mick
    Nobody's "taking the mick"
    Why not consider something thats not certified for use here
    Why don't you ask your bank or insurance company that you are thinking of using un-certified products. Would you buy a house that has un-certified materials in the walls?
    not sure what you mean by "Have you had your proposed wall make up modelled for moisture build up over time?" this is a retrofit
    Building physics. Having insulation on two different planes increases substantially the risk of interstitial condensation and moisture buildup.

No one is advising to close the eves ventilation. No one is advising foam as an airtightness barrier.
    Good.... then don't do it.

• Advertisement

Sorry micktheman - Misread

Its a fair cop

I think you are saying what I was thinking - stay away from foam and go for beads (or nothing in cavity). I had a look at it again today and the aeroboard is fitted to the inner leaf which is block lined (outer red brick). Is the danger of disturbing the boards off and causing us to be worse off substantial when drilling from inside in your opinion?

Building physics. Having insulation on two different planes increases substantially the risk of interstitial condensation and moisture buildup.

Interesting I have to say. Was not aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭therightangle

MicktheMan wrote: »

Does anyone have a reference for this?
    I would imagine it is still better than keeping all the insulation on the inside?
    Granted it might be true if comparing cavity+ext with just external.
    But its hardly true if comparing cavity+int with just internal?

Advertisement