Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The idea of stretching is to help prevent problems arising. No harm getting into the routine as a preventative measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Finished week 3! Can't wait to start week 4 on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

bee06 wrote: »
    Finished week 3! Can't wait to start week 4 on Sunday

Good work, keep it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I'm back to the programme again this week, after a 10k race and a few weeks of holidays.

Just reorienting myself with the sessions so completed Wk7D3 on Monday, Wk8D1 on Wednesday and going to have a go at Wk8D2 today [30 minute run].

Will probably stick to the 30/35/40 minute runs thereafter and work on my pace for a while before moving onto the Couch-2-10K :)

It's good to be back......!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Did you have any major trouble with any particular week, when you advanced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

W5D1 done and dusted! Can't wait to do the 20 min run at the end of the week!

I swapped tactics, and joined a local athletics club - they are holding an 8 week track to 5k program.

I'm going into week 3 this week; the running I did myself with the c25k app really did me credit. I've been able to do whatever's come up so far, and can clearly see my progress now!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

With college etc I just didn't get out so I'm going to do week 3 again this Saturday and take it from there. I've been saying I would complete C25K for so long now I really need to just stick with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,153 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Started this last night. Lost a fair bit of weight in the last year so wanted to do something to keep the belly moving in the right way. Had thought about it for a couple of weeks and planned to start next week but bought base layers in Aldi yesterday so thought "sod it, why not start tonight?"

Was surprised I could actually do all the runs without stopping. I ran around the green (on the grass) near my house as I wasn't sure how the knees would take it. Think I'll stick to that for the first couple of weeks anyway.

My cool down consisted of me strolling back to the house. Is that OK or should I be doing something etc? Legs felt tired after a shower last night but OK this morning. Think it'll be Monday before I can get out again but genuinely looking forward to it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Dodge wrote: »
    My cool down consisted of me strolling back to the house. Is that OK or should I be doing something etc? Legs felt tired after a shower last night but OK this morning. Think it'll be Monday before I can get out again but genuinely looking forward to it now

A little walk is perfect as a cool down.
    Well done for getting out there!!! I look forward to your next update! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I'm really glad I found this app. I've been neglecting exercise for years, and any attempts to start jogging failed because I had no real plan or objective.

What I love about this app is that it handles the planning for you and I personally find getting through each stage to be very motivating. I liken it to a videogame, actually.

I'm not sure where to go once I complete the app, but I'm very glad I found it, it really makes running fun, for me.

W1 D2

Busy weekend and pretty tired today but felt I should go out. Same plan as the first day. Walk down to the green. Felt I ran better today. Didn't have the same 'ah no!' feeling when I was told I was at half way. Felt great after it. Hoping to get out again on Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JMSE

Saipanne wrote: »
    I'm really glad I found this app. I've been neglecting exercise for years, and any attempts to start jogging failed because I had no real plan or objective.

What I love about this app is that it handles the planning for you and I personally find getting through each stage to be very motivating. I liken it to a videogame, actually.

I'm not sure where to go once I complete the app, but I'm very glad I found it, it really makes running fun, for me.

Well done! Wherever you go don't leave here, great advice info and help around the boards athletics scene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Gah! I haven't done the programme for over 4 weeks.....shameful :o

I've been very work wise busy the last few weeks, but moreover, lazy..so I have no excuse really. I have an exceptionally busy week this week, but will see how I get on slotting a session in somewhere just to check where I'm at fitness wise.

Don't think I need to start the programme again (well I hope not!). I was working through the last week on the app before I took the (excessively long) break....
    Would anyone be able to advise as to whether I could slot back into a 20-25 minute run straight off the bat? I haven't done any considerable exercise in the past 4 weeks :eek: Anyone have any experience on getting back into running after a few lazy weeks?

Pished off now with myself as I had made great progress, then got complacent :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Maybe try a very slow 20 minutes and see how you get on? I'm no expert, but I was able to pick up where I left off after a two-week break halfway through the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

First one will probably be a bit tough mentally, but I wouldn't expect you'd regress hugely in 4 weeks. You'll blow the cobwebs off after a couple of runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I would start back on the week before or the last week you completed on the program. Mentally it would get you through as you would be able to tell yourself that you have done this before and it's just revision, catch up.

I'm having a bollocks of a day with traffic and work and all sorts of ****e but I'm dying to get out for my 3rd installment later

This is weird for me as I've been a lazy git for the majority of my life

Ah perhaps you've caught the bug. I was a lazy git for 30 years until I caught it . Enjoy your run this evening.

Last night came as a big surprise, the entire group jogged just over 4km. It's a 400m track, so it was jog 2 and stretch, jog 4 and brief rest, jog 4 more and wind down.

My knee is a little iffy today but I'm relatively pain-free considering what I did! Only last week, we were happy at doing 2 and a half laps (1km). And I had a terrible day last thursday - couldn't keep up with the group at all and finished up early.

• Advertisement

W1 D3

Tough one tonight. Really late getting home and was told dinner would be ready in half an hour so got dressed and rushed out. Decided to leave the estate and head for park nearby. Running on concrete paths was tougher than grass so stuck to that where I could. The wind didn't help as it seemed in my face most of the time and I was uphill for a bit too

Was glad to finish this one. Might stick to flatter grass routes next week. Still felt OK after it though. Not tired or aching. Breathing ok. Hoping to get out again on Friday

W1 D3

Tough one tonight. Really late getting home and was told dinner would be ready in half an hour so got dressed and rushed out. Decided to leave the estate and head for park nearby. Running on concrete paths was tougher than grass so stuck to that where I could. The wind didn't help as it seemed in my face most of the time and I was uphill for a bit too

Was glad to finish this one. Might stick to flatter grass routes next week. Still felt OK after it though. Not tired or aching. Breathing ok. Hoping to get out again on Friday

Good on ya Dodge.
    I'd recommend making it as easy for yourself as possible for the first few weeks, and chose routes that are flat and try not to have to run against the wind. Try to get through the early weeks feeling as comfortable as possible. Not easy I know but give yourself every chance!!!
    Good luck Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Started this program 8 weeks ago. Ran 1st 5k race tonight ( Run in the dark ) finished in 28.05 delighted with that. 8 weeks ago 5k would have taken me 45-50 minutes.

Decided to write about it weekly for balls.ie. Extra motivation now

http://www.balls.ie/fitness-lifestyle/join-me-on-my-couch-to-5k-journey-week-one/315660

Decided to write about it weekly for balls.ie. Extra motivation now

http://www.balls.ie/fitness-lifestyle/join-me-on-my-couch-to-5k-journey-week-one/315660

That's so cool Dodge and really brings me back to what it was like when I was starting out.
    I've no doubt you'll smash it as you seem really committed. I'll be following that blog with interest!

Just to say I finished week 2, day 2 last night. Will add to the diary later in the week. Learned a lesson though; Never run on a full belly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Just to say I finished week 2, day 2 last night. Will add to the diary later in the week. Learned a lesson though; Never run on a full belly

Something I learned after about 2 weeks also, I tend to time eating to 3 hours or so before I run now, not sure if that's a good way of doing it but it works for me.

I've been going out before dinner most evenings but watched the Ireland game lst night so went out after (and had dinner at 9:30). Managed it but wasn't as comfortable as usual

I was told no eating 2 hours before jogging and it works fine, as long as I eat slowly and don't rush the food or stuff myself.

• Advertisement

I think everyone is different regarding how long they should leave between eating and running.. I can eat a light snack an hour before a run and be grand.

Advertisement