Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

a cat with anaemia

• 17-11-2010 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Am treating it with antibiotics.
    Anyone here have an idea of how long it might be expected to be before an improvement is notceable?
    I am most of the way through the course and the change is fairly small.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

Do you mind me asking what the signs and symptoms of this are? Just curious cos i wasnt aware they could suffer from this!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

She lost a lot of weight and only eats small bits at a time.
    Also her breathing is heavy .
    Her gums are pale.
    She sleeps a lot and is quite comfortable as she has a blanket at the base of the aga.
    But ,unless she makes an improvement soon I am becoming more pessimistic about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Do you know what type of anaemia she has? Theres different types eg. regenerative and non regenerative. If its something like Feline Infectious Anaemia (regenerative generally) it could take 3 or 4 weeks to treat. Im presuming your vet is keeping you in the loop with info about it? Did he mention she might need a blood transfusion at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Treatment depends on type. And in general, i think the most common is caused when the white blood cells attack the red blood cells, it's called Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia.

Its generally treated with a steroid, which slows down the immune system and allows the body to make new red bloods cells. Anti biotics are generally give to cover for the low immune system. But there can also be a bug in the blood than can complicate the problem. Did he do any tests to confirm this, and did he tell you what your cats red blood cell count is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Since you are giving her antibiotics I figure you've already been to the vet, what did they say was the cause of the anaemia.

I had noticed my cat eating cat litter(she was old enough not to) and checked her out, turns out she was anaemic too. Her cause was a tumor partily blocking blood flow to one of her organs(I think it was liver)
    She lost weight but the tumor caused fluid to collect giving her a large belly
    She was tired and pale in the mouth and eyes but didn't have a problem eating just the absorbtion of it. She didn't breath heavy either (or at least I don't remember that part)

Did your vet mention anything about any special diet, I bought a lambs heart for mine which improved her slightly but since the anaemia wasn't the cause it was never going to cure her just make for feel better for a while.

I have to add that my cats tumor was inoperable and it was in a vain/vessel and too close to the orgin to remove, she had to be pts. Also there's loads of reasons why a cat could be anaemic so I'm in no way saying that your cat was as bad as mine but this has been my experience with it.

I suggest you give your vet a call and ask them when you should see improvement and if there's anything you should give it (like lambs heart) to try improve it.

• Advertisement

the vet did give the name of the infection in the blood.I don't remember the exact name.The thing is that ,as she also came up positive for FIV (cat aids) he was reluctant to prescribe antibiotics at all as he said her chances weren't good and also I think he was worried about the chances of her infecting other cats.
    As she doesn't interact with the other cats at all (they don't come into the house and she shuns them if she goes out) I think that ,for now anyway, that that is not a problem.
    No the vet didn't mention a transfusion.Like I said he was gently suggesting that she should be put to sleep so I think the idea in his mind may have been to see how she reacted to the antibiotics first -or maybe he could just see that I was a bit too upset at the time to agree there and then to putting her to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Do you remember if it was Hemobartonella?

I am pretty sure it wasn't that.

I could be wrong as I am trying to find the term by looking for it in the Google searches to see if they ring a bell, but mycoplasma may possibly have been what he said.At least it was definitely a shorter word than Hemobartonella

The vet did agree that it could have been introduced by ticks .But when I said she had been tick free for a long time he dropped that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Hemobartonellosis is caused by Mycoplasma haemofelis, previously known as Haemobartonella felis.so you were on the ball there Jules. Ive no idea of the effects involving FIV aswell though.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

Yeah, Haemobartonellosis = Feline Infectious Anaemia, and mycoplasma felis = haemobartonella felis. I don't think they could have made the terminology much more confusing if they tried! rolleyes.gif

It's not normally not that severe if it happens on its own, but a few things like stress, other illnesses & tumours can make it worse, so that's probably where the FIV is coming into play. Sorry to hear your cat is so sick OP frown.gif Sounds like you're doing a good job of keeping her comfortable though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

If she has FIV then the best practice is to keep her indoors-only. Couple of reasons for this:

1) Protect her from parasites, viruses etc, all of which will chip away at her steadily weakening immune system. This will prolong her life.

2) Prevents her from getting into scrapes with other cats, and hence passing on the virus to some other poor misfortunate.

Lots of info and resources out there for helping your FIV+ cat stay strong and healthy for as long as possible. Hope she feels better soon, OP. xxx

Advertisement