Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can't rehome a dog from Dogs Trust because we work

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rabbit.84

Whispered wrote: »
    I can understand in a home where someone is in all day for the dog to be in and out and sleep outdoors, but if you're gone all day, then your dog goes out at night, don't you feel like you're only getting a couple of hours with them every day?

The dog comes in at 8am for an hour.. then he stands by the door to be left out. He is brought for a walk around 11. He needs at least 2 hours of someone throwing a tennis ball for him during the day. We usually take turns as we normally tire before the dog. Then he gets another walk. He is a collie cross and needs mental stimulation not to be left sitting in a house all day. During the summer if the kitchen door is open he will sit outside and not in the kitchen. Does it not feel a bit like trapping them in if you never leave them outside. If he wants to come in he bangs on the door and hes allowed in straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rabbit.84

Discodog wrote: »
    Does the insert go in a microwave ?. It appears to be some reflective foil that is supposed to reflect the dog's body heat. I find these to be the best.

http://www.petnap.co.uk/acatalog/pet_heat_pads.html#a30

If you plug them in via a simple thermostatic adapter (from B&Q) they will come on automatically when the temperature falls below the level that you set.

no it reflects his heat back up to him. My mother tried it out yesterday when we were outside for ages to make sure it works. We have some feral cats too so are going to get one for them aswell. I would be afraid to have something electric as he normally chews his beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

kylith wrote: »
    How would it be getting time with you when you're asleep in bed? People whose dogs are out during the day and sleep outside, but who are in from the time they get home until the time they go to bed get exactly the same amount of time and attention as a dog owned by someone who keeps them inside while they're at work and in bed. You can't do much interacting with your dog when you're in your bedroom and they're in the kitchen.
    In my position I'd feel like I'm banishing him or something because I spend almost no time out our back and he's only out there for an hour or two a day. It's not a part of his house if you know what I mean. So while I'm not interacting with him when I'm in my bedroom, he's still in his house. But then he's not used to being out so it's different.

Most people I know who have an outdoor dog have a "doggy" bedtime, an hour or 2 before they go, so in that case I'd miss the extra time. I was only asking if people felt like that because I'd imagine I would.
    rabbit.84 wrote: »
    The dog comes in at 8am for an hour.. then he stands by the door to be left out. He is brought for a walk around 11. He needs at least 2 hours of someone throwing a tennis ball for him during the day. We usually take turns as we normally tire before the dog. Then he gets another walk. He is a collie cross and needs mental stimulation not to be left sitting in a house all day. During the summer if the kitchen door is open he will sit outside and not in the kitchen. Does it not feel a bit like trapping them in if you never leave them outside. If he wants to come in he bangs on the door and hes allowed in straight away.
    I wasn't specificially asking about your dog btw in case you think I was. Just a general observation/question. But no, when your dogs home is indoors and that where he likes to be it doesn't feel like "trapping" them in so long as they get sufficient exercise, no more than I feel trapped in my house. It's my home, why would I feel trapped?

EDIT: Sorry for OT post I thought I was posting in the "what do you think of outdoor dogs" thread. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Whispered wrote: »
    Most people I know who have an outdoor dog have a "doggy" bedtime, an hour or 2 before they go, so in that case I'd miss the extra time. I was only asking if people felt like that because I'd imagine I would.

In my case the dogs stay in until I am going to bed, then I would put them out. In saying that though they have been in for the last week or so at night because it has been so cold but on milder nights I would have them in the house right up until I was going upstairs. As I work full time I try to squeeze in as much time with them as I can, if I have to run errands I do them on my break time in work so I can go straight home and walk the dogs, my life really does revolve around them!:)

Advertisement