Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stuffing Giant Kong

• 31-10-2010 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

Want to get my friend's dog a giant Kong, but it'll be no use if the treats all fall out the hole. Any ideas of, fairly healthy, things that can be put in a giant Kong with its giant hole?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

kylith wrote: »
    Want to get my friend's dog a giant Kong, but it'll be no use if the treats all fall out the hole. Any ideas of, fairly healthy, things that can be put in a giant Kong with its giant hole?

Have you seen the Kong Jigsaw balls? Just slot treats into the top and inside is a maze, the dog can hear the treats rattling around and the more she plays wit the ball the more the treats fall out.

We put some Royal Canin Boxer junior nuts in ours and she has hours of fun

They're about 10-12euro

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

scudzilla wrote: »
    Have you seen the Kong Jigsaw balls? Just slot treats into the top and inside is a maze, the dog can hear the treats rattling around and the more she plays wit the ball the more the treats fall out.

We put some Royal Canin Boxer junior nuts in ours and she has hours of fun

They're about 10-12euro
    I've not seen those, but I'll look into it. She wants to encourage the dog to chew so I thought that a classic, or even better a dental kong would be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

The freezer and the kong are best friends! Things like potatoes, with other stuff mixed in (little peanut butter, tuna, veg, kibble... whatever you can think of!) keep them entertained for hours! You often don't even need to freeze them but the frozen ones tend to keep them busy for longer. They suck and lick at all the good (and gooy) stuff iinside and love every second. One thing I will say though - sometimes they can get messy do hard flooring away from carpets is probably your best bet to keeping muched potatoes mixed with peanut butter from being rubbed into rugs and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

+1 for the mess. We have carpet on the stairs - my fella learned very quickly that if he threw the kong downstairs he could spend a few mins licking up the mess :mad:

regarding freezing - is tinned dog food ok to freeze?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I always put the loose biscuits in first and then block the hole with a big blob of peanut butter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Whispered wrote: »
    +1 for the mess. We have carpet on the stairs - my fella learned very quickly that if he threw the kong downstairs he could spend a few mins licking up the mess :mad:

regarding freezing - is tinned dog food ok to freeze?

I would presume so, I know people who freeze cat food and actually give the cats little balls of frozen food so it takes them longer to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭leopardus

I use a combination of treats in kings, and a variety of different 'stuffable' toys. Half a dog biscuit, kibble, cheap pate smeared along the back. The kong that keeps my belgian shepherd working the longest is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Dental-Rope-Dog-Medium/dp/B0002AR178The

rope was chewed-off long ago and he will spend hours trying to extract the food from the centre.

The everlasting treat ball is great too.

http://leerburg.com/797.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

+1 on the mashed veggies and tuna etc, I mix it with the dog nuts and freeze it, makes it last longer.

Whispered, my fella does the same, I got a baby gate;)(also stops him bouncing on my bed like a child), but now he chucks it at the kitchen wall:rolleyes:

I have a couple of small ones for my own dogs, so I'm well versed in freezing them (tinned food is fine to freeze), but if I don't have time to freeze them (like tonight; I'm filling them as fast as I can to keep the dogs distracted from the fireworks) I just cram in some big bits of kibble. The problem is that the giant Kong has a giant hole and I can't find any giant Kong's snaps online so I'm looking for recommendations for big treats that won't fall out of the big Kong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Harley got a treat dinner this evening. He had a chicken breast, mash and colcannon for dinner in his kong (X2).

To stuff the top we sometimes use soda bread (half a slice) or something hard like cheese.

If putting human food into it I'd usually just use my fingers to mash it into the sides so it sticks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

If you soak their kibble, mash it with a fork then spoon it into the kong it will take longer to get it out than if the kibble was dry. Maybe add an egg or something to add some excitement.

I've been thinking about porridge. Porridge sets rock hard when it dries, as my cereal bowl can testify. If I made some with chicken or beef stock it should last a good while.

Has anyone tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

kylith wrote: »
    I've been thinking about porridge. Porridge sets rock hard when it dries, as my cereal bowl can testify. If I made some with chicken or beef stock it should last a good while.

Has anyone tried it?

Yep, it was mixed with other stuff too (mainly what was for dinner that day and some porridge along to boot!). Worked well, couldn't be too milky/watery though of else it would make one hell of a mess. Just a note on stock - the cubes or jelly ones can be quite high in salt so keep an eye on the salt content of whatever you are using. Home made stock would be perfect (and very yummy!).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I just fill mine with raw beef mince, or put a piece of beef shin and some liver in a blender, whizz, then stuff the kong with the paste and freeze. Freezing is definitely a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I use dry dog nuggets soaked in water/gravy, and then mashed up and stuffed into the kong. It dries like cement so takes them ages to get out. Like some of the others my dog learned to throw it at the wall to get the food out. I had bought it to keep her quiet in my father in law's house because they were there only on sufference, he doesn't like dogs :mad: Collie's are too smart for their own good!

Advertisement