Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Exercise in pregnancy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

I'm 38+5 & besides the 20mins walk from work to my bus stop in the evenings getting very little exercise since 36weeks. The heat, massive swelling of my feet & constant need to pee just made the effort of a 2/3 mile walk not worth it.... Do feel a bit lazy in the evenings doing nothing! Doing yoga once a week though:) 2classes left!!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

73trix I'm on the final countdown now too.

I'm 34 weeks now and everything is a lot slower. Got a couple of little trots in over the weekend, just about 2 miles total saturday and about 6 miles sunday. It was generally trot up to a mile, walk a half mile. Was very slow and took ages but it was lovely to be outside as the weather was nice and going the longer distance meant I got up to the nice part of the river path with less people and more greenery, I miss it! I'm walking about 3 miles a day total in my commute, which is taking me way longer now but I usually feel better for it.

Went to prenatal yoga on saturday morning (walked/jogged to there as my little 2 miler). It was a tough enough class for me, my legs and hips are very tight anyway and it was mostly working on them. The little propped-up lie-down on the raised cushions at the end was worth it! My pelvis had been a bit temperamental in the last couple of weeks and on sunday and monday it was quite sore, getting out of chairs and starting walking I was like a cripple. It is mostly gone away again now, thankfully. I think the yoga might have stretched me a bit too much for the pelvis, must take it easy next class (although my other half was like, "that's great, he'll just drop out of you!")

On our last antenatal class last week, the mid wife asked if anyone was doing exercise. Only 3 out of about 15 are doing anything at all, and we three got a few looks from the rest like we were mad. It is a shame more women (or people in general) don't see exercise as part of normal life or normal pregnancy, it can do so much good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I'm 6 months today, or 26 weeks tomorrow.. I got a new programme in the gym today too, lots of TRX. The hardest one was the 1 legged squats and the chest presses.. still managing the treadmill fine, the uphill actually takes the heavy feeling off my pelvis and its easier than the flat.. gets my heart rate up too cos I was so used to running when i did my knee in and couldn't run I found it nearly impossible to get a good cardio workout.

I had to quit the gym for almost 6 months and it nearly killed me, so building up the knee while pregnant has proven a task but I'm getting there. That I can actually do squats is nothing short of a miracle :pac: I'm one of two pregnant women in the gym but the other lady just does pilates. I'm getting a few funny looks now that my bump is very noticable and I think its hilarious when I catch them staring :D The only ones that leave me kinda sore after are the side kick outs and the kickbacks done with on the extention bar with weights strapped on my ankle, My public bone feels loosened (:eek:) for a while after but by evening its grand again..

The one thing that makes the birth easier is strong legs.. might sound funny but you can get a hell of a push in when the quads are able for it. I wouldn't be able to function without it. It gives me the time to clear my head if anything is bothering me and I then don't feel guilty if I have a 2 hour nap in the afternoon :D . Long may it continue

cbyrd wrote: »
    I wouldn't be able to function without it. It gives me the time to clear my head if anything is bothering me and I then don't feel guilty if I have a 2 hour nap in the afternoon :D . Long may it continue

I hear ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

73trix I'm on the final countdown now too.

I'm 34 weeks now and everything is a lot slower. Got a couple of little trots in over the weekend, just about 2 miles total saturday and about 6 miles sunday. It was generally trot up to a mile, walk a half mile. Was very slow and took ages but it was lovely to be outside as the weather was nice and going the longer distance meant I got up to the nice part of the river path with less people and more greenery, I miss it! I'm walking about 3 miles a day total in my commute, which is taking me way longer now but I usually feel better for it.

Went to prenatal yoga on saturday morning (walked/jogged to there as my little 2 miler). It was a tough enough class for me, my legs and hips are very tight anyway and it was mostly working on them. The little propped-up lie-down on the raised cushions at the end was worth it! My pelvis had been a bit temperamental in the last couple of weeks and on sunday and monday it was quite sore, getting out of chairs and starting walking I was like a cripple. It is mostly gone away again now, thankfully. I think the yoga might have stretched me a bit too much for the pelvis, must take it easy next class (although my other half was like, "that's great, he'll just drop out of you!")

On our last antenatal class last week, the mid wife asked if anyone was doing exercise. Only 3 out of about 15 are doing anything at all, and we three got a few looks from the rest like we were mad. It is a shame more women (or people in general) don't see exercise as part of normal life or normal pregnancy, it can do so much good :)

That's fantastic, MiA. I gave up jogging about 21/22 weeks. Too uncomfortable. Now walking is getting too uncomfortable so swimming is my main exercise now. Yep, I agree, it's mad how many people don't exercise. I'm trying to do as much as capable of and missing what I can't really do anymore. I will be like a wasp if I have to stop my swimming but so far so good and really hope I can keep it up as much as over the last few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Yeah, the main consensus about running when pregnant, or any exercise other than maybe swimming or yoga is that "you're mad". I felt pretty self conscious running during my first pregnancy but now I think my neighbours are used to seeing the crazy pregnant running lady and even my Mam has accepted that its good for me and the baby!

73trix wrote: »
    . I will be like a wasp if I have to stop my swimming but so far so good and really hope I can keep it up as much as over the last few weeks.

Lol, a wasp! I'll be the same.
    Yeah I'm just counting myself very lucky that I can still jog a little, it could all stop tomorrow.

I came out of the gym today and it was lashing rain.. so I ran like a mad thing to the supermarket .. there were a few auld ones waiting with trolleys inside the door and the looks some of them gave me cos they saw me leg it across the car park.. it was hilarious !! :D
    On another note, in the diabetes clinic yesterday and while i was told 'yeah going to the gym is grand but you need to be walking at least 30 - 40 mins on the other days...!' :eek: What ever happened to rest days to allow the muscles to heal, my trainer said to me today that if i'm looking for weight loss it'd be okay but 3 days training per week should be plenty!! I suppose it'd mean i won't have to lose any baby weight after.. I've put on 10lbs in 16 weeks.. :rolleyes:

My pool has closed! It is a wee outdoor pool run by the city, only open for a few months during the summer but it was grand and also free. Went past on sat morning and it was empty. I could have cried; I thought it would close at the end of august, it is still bloody roasting here. There aren't any public pools here in the city at all, the closest are YMCAs but you can't just pop in, you have to join up and pay every month. Otherwise it is a yearly gym membership which I can't really afford. :( Raging!! :mad:

My other half and I are planning on signing up for a half marathon in March - it will be my first race after giving birth in September and I want to have a target whether I walk it or jog it. We've been talking about this one race for a while and last night decided to go for it. Then he said "but we can't both do it! who'll mind the baby?" Terrible parents, we both forgot we'd have a baby to think of then! :eek::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Thought I'd post my progress here. Just finished the 10 mile in the Phoenix Park this morning. Himself is 19 weeks old, so delighted I got around in one piece!

Keep up the good work ladies.

And DO YOUR PELVIC FLOORS!! :P

olaola wrote: »
    Thought I'd post my progress here. Just finished the 10 mile in the Phoenix Park this morning. Himself is 19 weeks old, so delighted I got around in one piece!

Keep up the good work ladies.

And DO YOUR PELVIC FLOORS!! :P

Well done olaola! That is brilliant after 19 weeks. Phoenix park is hilly too.

I'm so bad at doing the kegals :( never remember.

My other half and I are planning on signing up for a half marathon in March - it will be my first race after giving birth in September and I want to have a target whether I walk it or jog it. We've been talking about this one race for a while and last night decided to go for it. Then he said "but we can't both do it! who'll mind the baby?" Terrible parents, we both forgot we'd have a baby to think of then! :eek::pac:

That's so funny!! :D
    Although there is no reason why u can't put baba in a buggy and walk/jog. When are u due? Or get a baby sitter. :D:D

That's so funny!! :D
    Although there is no reason why u can't put baba in a buggy and walk/jog. When are u due? Or get a baby sitter. :D:D

Ah I'm sure we'll get a baby sitter or something, we just totally didn't factor in the baby at all! I'm due sept 16th.

I think you'd be right.. After all you'll have the celebrating to do when you complete it. :D
    You're nearly there, I'm not due til Nov 13th and my last 3 were all 2 weeks overdue :eek: so all going well I'll be back in the gym just after Christmas, before if I can manage it.

I think you'd be right.. After all you'll have the celebrating to do when you complete it. :D
    You're nearly there, I'm not due til Nov 13th and my last 3 were all 2 weeks overdue :eek: so all going well I'll be back in the gym just after Christmas, before if I can manage it.

Yeah the celebrating after is what is all about!

I'm 29+4 today and I got the best Kegels workout on the treadmill today :D I started at 6kms per hour and what I usually do is 10 mins flat and 5 on the incline and 5 flat and then onto the bike.. every time my left foot hit hte treadmill I didn't know if I was going to wee :D she had her head right on my bladder.. I managed to last 15 mins and then i had to run for the loo! Funny on the incline it didn't happen but I get a little winded now..
    I've given up the bike as it's too awkward, so I'm on the crosstrainer for 15 mins and then I have a new TRX program thats really good. The only difficult bit is the body lifts from the floor.. I must look so funny trying to get down and then trying to get back up again.. the trainer took pity today and gave me the step to sit on so it's not as much of a lift now.. (like chin ups except lower) I'm now on the couch in my jammies feeling suitably tired

How's everyone getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

sounds like you're doing great cbyrd! Ha I remember baby putting a stop to many of my runs by threatening to make me wee myself, the little minx.
    41+1 today and safe to say no exercise going on, at all! I've been pondering what to do post baby and hoping to start off with yoga or pilates and then maybe get back into some sort of gentle running routine before Xmas, not rushing back into anything really! Hoping my pelvic floor cooperates :D

36+4. Still swimming about 2-3 times/ week, thank goodness for it. Only exercise I get. was a waste of time buying my pilates DVD....just never got into it at all.
    As for kegels?? Meh...now and then.Gonna live to regret my lack of discipline with them, I fear... :eek: Why something so simple is so hard to do is beyond me....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Just to update, I got a maternity support belt when I was 6 months pregnant to help with my ligament pains when walking the dogs. At the time I thought it was pretty useless but now I think it is the best thing EVER!!! I have a small bump so at 6 months the thing just didn't support me but as my bump got bigger and the pains got worse I wouldn't be able to walk 5 mins without it. 34+6 today and still walking 1hr-1hr30 a day thanks to my unattractive-looking but supportive friend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

I feel so guilty, I've been doing nothing much at all lately. Am 34+3 today and just back from a few days break in Mayo. I was so much more disciplined on the first but my 18 month old has me wrecked at the moment. Waking at night sometimes and throwing strops. When I get home from work i spend an hr with him, cook dinner, eat and chill for an hr on the couch before bed. My husband is as bad and we're both avid runners (well we were!!). I'm feeling pretty lazy. I need to get back to at least walking!!

I have one of those belts too, I just find it so awkward in the gym so I use my swimsuit which is too tight for swimming but is perfect for under my gym gear. It stops my bump bouncing and keeps me in place :) a bit like a compression vest.
    I was thinking yesterday that I might try it again tomorrow morning and see does it keep her off my bladder :D
    I'm hoping to start swimming soon too... just to take the pressure off my right rib cage where she has her feet parked

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Delighted to have found this thread. 17 weeks and running (well jogging) away. Not too hard or anything, usually up to 5k a couple of times a week at a comfortable pace, just find the hills more difficult than usual, but I do feel great after a run. Didn't do alot during weeks 5-11 as I found I was very tired and nauseous but great to be back doing a bit the last few weeks. I do find that people think I'm a bit nuts if I say I'm running now that my news is out....

Also been doing a brisk walk at lunchtime now, which is great and recently taken up a pregnancy yoga class. Definately find the exercise helps with the crampy\strechy pains that occur sometimes and definatly helps the quality of my sleep.

39 wks Tomorrow. Still swimming and loving it. However some day I am nearly expecting the staff to run me!! Will go another week if possible but maybe draw the line at due date. Not sure....

I'm 32 weeks today and still managing the gym 2 or 3 times a week, I've mostly given up the treadmill now as it causes too many braxton hicks and get uncomfortable, so i just do 20-30 mins on the crosstrainer instead, I'm getting the cardio without the impact. I'll keep going as long as i can, its keeping me sane :D although I will have a nap when i come home ;)

Hi. I'm wondering about exercise post section. I am 5 wks post op now. Have walked with buggy to town couple times about 20 mins each way without issue for past 2 wks. Considering going to a social event soon that will be about 30-35mins each way. I can't drive yet so thought I'd walk with buggy. Is that a bit far? I'm feeling goo d physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Hi all,
    Hoping for a bit of advice! Just did the test on Monday and it came up positive (or BFB If I'm learning the lingo right?!). It was a bit of a shock as we just got married and hadn't really started trying, but a really happy shock.

Anyway, the whole exercise thing has been worrying me, so great to see lots of support here.

I've two quite specific questions I hope you can help me with.

I normally do pilates once a week. I did it this week right before I took the test, and during it hurt my back doing shoulder bridge, which I've never done before. It may or may not be related, but I'm wondering should I quit it or keep going? Should I talk to my teacher (it's kinda awkward cos she's a family friend and we're not telling anybody yet!).

Also, running - I'm a keen runner and have done 2 marathons and lots of half marathons. I've signed up to do the Run in the Dark 10k next Wednesday. Since the wedding, I haven't done a huge amount of training (5-8k 2-3 times a week) so am pretty unfit anyway, but could definitely manage 10k. I'm worried though, this might be risky?! I am thinking of switching down to the 5k as it's easy to switch? And do it at a slow pace? Loads of our friends/ family are doing it, so I don't want to arouse suspicion by not doing it, plus I think 5k should be fine?

My back is still sore, so I don't think I'll be doing anything for the next day or two anyway! Going to see the doc tomorrow, but from what I've heard, they always err on the side of caution to cover themselves anyway.

Hi. I'm wondering about exercise post section. I am 5 wks post op now. Have walked with buggy to town couple times about 20 mins each way without issue for past 2 wks. Considering going to a social event soon that will be about 30-35mins each way. I can't drive yet so thought I'd walk with buggy. Is that a bit far? I'm feeling goo d physically.

I'm 5 weeks post section too. I'm walking between 30 mins and an hour atm, if I do a long walk one day I do the short one the next as my scar usually hurts a bit after and I don't want to overdo it.

I'm 5 weeks post section too. I'm walking between 30 mins and an hour atm, if I do a long walk one day I do the short one the next as my scar usually hurts a bit after and I don't want to overdo it.
    Well done. That's great. I think I should be up to it. Not meant to drive for another week. Although if pissing rain, might b r tempted. It's only local....

• Advertisement

Well done. That's great. I think I should be up to it. Not meant to drive for another week. Although if pissing rain, might b r tempted. It's only local....

Lol I know the feeling, hate not being able to drive. But I went to my doctor yesterday and he said I'm fine now to start driving again.

Advertisement