Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

cjpm wrote: »
    Surveying company working on the Northbound carriageway of the N20 between Rathduff and Mallow the past week, wire rope section as far as I can see.

Anyone know what for???

The entire road and surrounding land was surveyed in great detail only 4 or 5 years ago when the M20 was being
    designed.......:confused:

Probably for resurfacing ... Parts of it getting a bit rough... They were surveying by carrigtohil a fee months ago,and that's being resurfaced now...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭corkoian

Found out today that there is plans in place to prevent right hand turns between Waterloo and Rathduff with road users intending to turn right at Rathduff having to turn left for mallow, turn 1.5km further back the road and then starting heading towards Cork.

The NRA's reasoning behind the idea is because of the two accidents that occurred at the junction after the park (heading towards malllow) on the main road sign posted for Grenagh. One involved a car exiting from the junction which the road was partly to blame while the other was caused because two people in a Van were speed and arguing resulting in the van colliding with the ditch.

I think that is why they were surveying the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭cjpm

corkoian wrote: »
    Found out today that there is plans in place to prevent right hand turns between Waterloo and Rathduff with road users intending to turn right at Rathduff having to turn left for mallow, turn 1.5km further back the road and then starting heading towards Cork.

The NRA's reasoning behind the idea is because of the two accidents that occurred at the junction after the park (heading towards malllow) on the main road sign posted for Grenagh. One involved a car exiting from the junction which the road was partly to blame while the other was caused because two people in a Van were speed and arguing resulting in the van colliding with the ditch.

I think that is why they were surveying the road.

Where did you hear this??

I wonder are they considering this at other junctions?? Would explain why they were only surveying one side of the road (the west side) between Rathduff and Burnfort.

Stopping the right turn movement at the picnic area would encourage traffic coming from Grenagh to get onto the N20 at Rathduff and perform the right turn movement in the 50kph zone.

While safer it would create serious tailbacks in Rathduff outside the shop, with people queuing to get the chance to cross.

I live in the area and the shop owner at Rathduff was telling me. Getting on the road at Rathduff is already torcher in busy times, since its 50km cars dont slow down till the car in front of them does resulting in the traffic being bumper to bumper rather than gaps to cross. People just head to mallow direction and turn at Curtins pub and head to Cork that way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Making the right turn onto the main road heading south could be improved by providing a waiting/merging/acceleration lane for a short distance to the right of the mainline southbound lane.
    This would enable right turning drivers to make the manoeuvre in two stages, first cross the northbound lane then after waiting for southbound traffic to clear merge into the southbound lane when safe to do so.

This is an example from the US, it would obviously need to be handed for traffic driving on the left ;) and allow priority on both directions of the mainline. CLICK HERE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Any possibility that this could get the go-ahead with the budget on the horizon? taking about it today here at home and the state of the road between Mallow and Limerick is just disgraceful - another death last week, how many more have to die I wonder to sanction money for the linking of the republics 2nd and 3rd cities.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Any possibility that this could get the go-ahead with the budget on the horizon? taking about it today here at home and the state of the road between Mallow and Limerick is just disgraceful - another death last week, how many more have to die I wonder to sanction money for the linking of the republics 2nd and 3rd cities.

In fairness the death last week was the guy had a suspected heart attack

corkoian wrote: »
    In fairness the death last week was the guy had a suspected heart attack
    My bad I did not hear that but still the road is in an awful way - Ballybeg bends especially on a national main road is just embarrassing. Roundabouts in Mallow are a complete disaster too and even more disruption when the main one is upgraded to cater for the truck in and out of the new Dairygold plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Mallow to Buttevant road shut this morning due to an accident by the quarry

Mallow to Buttevant road shut this morning due to an accident by the quarry
    It's ridiculous at this stage - whatever about building a motorway along the full length they should start with a section starting in and around the Dromahane exit bypassing Mallow, Buttevant and rejoining the existing road just after Charleville... That would ease the situation in Mallow and get rid of the awful road between Mallow and Charleville for the heavy traffic.

• Advertisement

Local papers (Corkman & Mallow Star) here are going with the fact that the Mallow Ring Road is now a step further with the Dairygold expansion.

2v93pme.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

that's not so good news for the M20.

It had been suggested that it would be 'one or the other'. Although with the economic forecasts not so bad these days, hopefully that will change.

that's not so good news for the M20.

It had been suggested that it would be 'one or the other'. Although with the economic forecasts not so bad these days, hopefully that will change.
    I think we might see small sections of the M20 announced in the future - I think around Mallow and between Mallow and Charleville is the primary concern... Between Mallow and Cork I would be very surprised to see any movement over the next decade. The upgrading of the roundabout in Mallow (making it wider) to cope with the Dairygold trucks is also in an advanced planning stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Even a Mallow relief road would still be welcome news, far too often there are delays coming into Mallow on the "bypass" regardless of whether you're coming from the Cork end, Killarney end or the Charleville/Limerick end.

But yes, it's no substitute for the real solution, which is a proper motorway between the country's two biggest cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Does anyone have any maps showing the Mallow relief road scheme ?

Does anyone have any maps showing the Mallow relief road scheme ?
    No official maps out there as far as I know but I would imagine it will look something like this - a bridge over the Blackwater would be needed and they would have to go outside Mallow Golf course and Mallow GAA Complex so it would be a big undertaking.

1zdnsb6.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That'd suffer from the issue of being too long for through traffic to be any point except in extreme traffic (like Enfields relief road was, pre-M4)

MYOB wrote: »
    That'd suffer from the issue of being too long for through traffic to be any point except in extreme traffic (like Enfields relief road was, pre-M4)
    I suppose with a M20 junction off the road in future it would make the road vital because the next exit would be Buttevant (M20) or Mitchelstown (M8)- the M20 will have to be that far out so a link road is inevitable anyway.

I think you would see all HGV's (except traffic West and from Dairygold) made take the road to ease traffic at the two roundabouts and the new road would form part of the N20.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

I'm fairly sure the relief road will only be on the northern side of town, at least the plans I saw years ago were that way. It just directed the N72 traffic onto the N20.

Subpopulus wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure the relief road will only be on the northern side of town, at least the plans I saw years ago were that way. It just directed the N72 traffic onto the N20.
    You see its all up in the air as the M20 was to take away the Cork/Limerick traffic and the northern relief road was to tackle the west/east traffic... whatever they plan something needs to be done - the town in dying a slow death with traffic at peak times and sending trucks into the clock house junction is just ridiculous.

That's before the massive Dairygold expansion which could kill the town altogether increasing truck traffic North, South, East and West.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You see its all up in the air as the M20 was to take away the Cork/Limerick traffic and the northern relief road was to tackle the west/east traffic... whatever they plan something needs to be done - the town in dying a slow death with traffic at peak times and sending trucks into the clock house junction is just ridiculous.

That's before the massive Dairygold expansion which could kill the town altogether increasing truck traffic North, South, East and West.

But Mallow isn't that much of a bottleneck for Cork/Limerick traffic which doesn't actually go through the town. Personally I'd still go through Mallow rather than go that far out of my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Vanquished

This is the link road that was/is envisaged as part of the M20 project.

Vanquished wrote: »
    This is the link road that was/is envisaged as part of the M20 project.
    You see with the M20 on a permanent delay it will be a big decision to see what way they might proceed in relation to the relief road ... the idea was always to have the M20 take the Limerick/Cork traffic from the roundabouts but with Dairygold now expanding everything will feed into the main roundabout going west/north and south.

Trucks/traffic travelling east/west (say Fermoy to Killarney) will be stuck in Mallow at peak times for a ridiculous amount of time... they will meet traffic at the lights at the clockhouse, the lights at the bridge (turning right), turning left at the junction after 4home, trucks/traffic merging from the Dairygold plant/Mallow town and to the main roundabout taking all Cork, Limerick, Killarney traffic... the town will grind to a halt as Dairygold traffic increases and the economy improves as people are back to work.

But Mallow isn't that much of a bottleneck for Cork/Limerick traffic which doesn't actually go through the town. Personally I'd still go through Mallow rather than go that far out of my way.
    Ya if they could let the Cork/Mallow traffic flow without stopping (getting rid of the roundabouts) and build a northern relief road things would manage.

Another think they could do is have the two lanes of traffic able to go north and south at the roundabouts, cutting the traffic into one lane north and south means one lane is almost empty and the other is full roundabout to roundabout at peak times.

No official maps out there as far as I know but I would imagine it will look something like this - a bridge over the Blackwater would be needed and they would have to go outside Mallow Golf course and Mallow GAA Complex so it would be a big undertaking.

1zdnsb6.jpg

This could actually work nicely.

If funds were to come available, the section between Mallow and north of Charleville could be built. It would be an easy tie in at Mallow as the southern section if built on your map would feed traffic into the M20 at the N72 junction.

Some guy from the NRA on there saying how the M20 is now the top priority unfounded project.

Dublin ministers for transport though couldn't give a **** about the rest of the country.

Some guy from the NRA on there saying how the M20 is now the top priority unfounded project.

Dublin ministers for transport though couldn't give a **** about the rest of the country.
    Where did he say that? - yeah it's a disgrace, if there was a Cork transport minister it would have gone ahead years back ... Unfortunately road safety and economic development between Ireland's 2nd and 3rd cities are not the top priority.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Where did he say that? - yeah it's a disgrace, if there was a Cork transport minister it would have gone ahead years back ... Unfortunately road safety and economic development between Ireland's 2nd and 3rd cities are not the top priority.

Sean O'Neill

17 mins 30 secs in:> http://www.todayfm.com/player/shows/The_Last_Word_with_Matt_Cooper/7/15052/06th_October_2014_-_The_Last_Word_with_Matt_Cooper_Part_2

I suppose the only good thing is that we are first on the list when the government decide to spend a few pound.

I was passing through Mallow last Thursday and Friday evenings between 4-5 ... Tailbacks from the main roundabout, past the fire station and people stuck around the second roundabout and a bit past ... That's just traffic going N to S, I have also heard it reported that traffic is backing up all the way to the speed limit signs out the Killarney road in the mornings.

The N20 is a big big problem now on our road infrastructure network - Mallow, Buttevant and Charleville are all dying a slow death.

Here's hoping we get a nice surprise next week in the budget and they get building the country again - the jobs alone from such a project would be great for the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Although the M20 might be the most important unfunded project from the NRA's point of view, remember that Irish Rail and the RPA also have dibs on the dept of transport purse strings, and with congestion in Dublin worsening, DART underground goes up the list and peak hour congestion in Mallow Co. Cork goes down the list for quite valid economic/social reasons other than Dublin bias. When Irish Rail get's it's €4bn to start tunnelling, that's when the M20 has a hope of going ahead.

Advertisement