Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

a week off in October - Barcelona, Munich, or somewhere else?

Options
  • 22-08-2013 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

I have a week off in October 21st to the 27th. Non negotiable.
    I will be travelling solo. I am open to any suggestions. Is there enough to do in a German city for a week.
    My plan Barcelona would be a few days in the city and then maybe a few quiet days out in Sitges.
    I open to any other suggestions, but I onothing to flash.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

Berlin & Madrid two fab citys ! was in both this year !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I wouldn't go to a German city for an entire week, but the trains are quite good in Germany so you could go to one city and stay for a few days, and then take a train to another city and fly back from there a few days later. You could do Hamburg and Berlin for example, the ICE takes less than 2 hours to get from one city to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I wouldn't go to a German city for an entire week, but the trains are quite good in Germany so you could go to one city and stay for a few days, and then take a train to another city and fly back from there a few days later. You could do Hamburg and Berlin for example, the ICE takes less than 2 hours to get from one city to the other.

You could easily stay in Berlin or Munich for a week, Munich offers good possibilities for train day trips.

But if the OP goes to Barcelona he may get weather not so differerent from Ireland today, which may be very pleasant. That said I was in Barcelona in Octiber once and the streets were flooded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

I was in Barcelona last October it was the perfect time of year for it I think, it's still quite warm,I swam a few times. Plus not too overcrowded with tourists.
    Consider flying to Athens as well it's an underrated city and you go head to an island for a few days..still very warm in October there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 TourRadar

Perhaps you should look at doing a tour which takes you across a few cities. As a solo traveller it would be a great way to get to meet some other people! By tour I don't mean the stereotype of old people hopping on and off to take a few pictures at every tourist spot, but there are some really cool backpacker tours that you can take and are lots of fun! If you have ever seen the Paddywagons going around Ireland, there are similar versions of this all over Europe, so you can get to a few cities in Germany or even across Europe in your week off with minimal planning on your behalf and maximal fun and meeting new people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Thanks for all the advice folks. Still looking round. I have some checking out stand by flights that week for me. So I will see how that works out.

Berlin seems to be topping a lot of lists, so maybe 2 european cities, with one been Berlin and then a train to some other city.

I wonder is that the week of school holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Berlin is amazing, just something about it. Ive my week off work 28th Oct and Im heading to Munich for 5 days, plan to do a lot of day trips of which there are many from Munich.
    Also couldnt recommend Krakow enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Tsipras wrote: »
    Consider flying to Athens as well it's an underrated city and you go head to an island for a few days..still very warm in October there

Athens!?! Are you serious?

I had the misfortune of spending a week there a few years ago and it easily the most horrible city I've ever been in. It's a concrete jungle with no green space and few trees. It's very expensive, the locals are not friendly and the food is rubbish. There wasn't a single thing I liked about the place. I visited before the economic capitulation of Greece so I can only assume it's gotten worse.

Some of the islands are nice, but there's no way I would go back to Athens.

Re the OP's question. Berlin is brilliant. Would you think of heading further east? Budapest and Prague come to mind. Both are great places to spend some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Thanks for all the replieI folks. Heard a few people say they were not impressed with Athens.I got a bit a carried away and started looking at USA. Had my mind set on new York but accommodation prices nipped that in the bud. So that's a trip I need to plan further out (maybe next year) I got a very good price for Vegas for 900 quid through American sky (flights and accommodation) Which seemed very good. But since then they got back and told me the price was wrong. It is now 1000. Still reasonable but price is creeping up and I was hoping to keep it down. I may have to revert back to Europe! Budapest & Berlin are top of my European destination list if I decide to pull the plug on Vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hey guys, gonna hijack this thread, I just booked 4 days in madrid with ryanair, I heard it's easy to get to the city - catch a 15min train- is this correct?

Also any recommendations of what to see and do? and stay?
    Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement