Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to pick????

• 16-11-2010 4:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I'm torn between getting a full bred ikc reg English Springer Spaniel or a full bred ikc reg German Shephard puppy.. Any one got any advice or suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm torn between getting a full bred ikc reg English Springer Spaniel or a full bred ikc reg German Shephard puppy.. Any one got any advice or suggestions??

Haha, there's a bit of difference there alright between the 2 breeds.

If it were me, and i HAD to choose between them 2 breeds only i'd go for the Spaniel for 1 reason, that every time i had to take the German Shephard out i'd have to muzzle it. Breaks my heart every time i see a muzzled dog. That's 1 of the reasons we went for a boxer, nice big sturdy dog but no muzzle.

If it wasn't for the muzzle then the German Shep would win hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

if i was u what i think i would do is write down the pros and cons of what u think the dogs needs might be. then i would try and find both breeds as both pups and adults and spend some time with them. I would then come home and do the pros and cons again.
    this is what a friend did when she was undersided about two breeds. she swears it works cos he is so happy with the breed she went for. Like she said took time but worth it.

good luck with your chooice

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

be a devil and get one of each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I have a springer and he is brilliant :D

I got him when he was 7 and am doing everything I can to persuade my Dad to let me get a pup as given how brilliant Boe is even with a really really rough and horrible upbringing, how fab would a dog be we raised from a pup? :P

I adore springers they have such a great personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I think it depends on what you want from a dog. My experience is that springers are really enthusiastic and willing but can be a bit of a blonde bimbo! Well mine is anyway, I train her in agility and she spends more time spinning in circles and vibrating than actually listening! German shepherds are more sensible and seem to be a bit easier to train. The muzzle law is a drawback alright but again I think it depends on where you live. I live in a very quiet area and no-one bothers with the muzzle law.

• Advertisement
Advertisement