Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat V Dog Problem

• 15-11-2010 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

New neighbours moved in next door over the weekend with their dog its a small thing probably a King Charles pup (i'm no dog expert sorry)
    This morning our moggy went for a wander along our garden wall (adjoining the new neighbour) and the pup went ballistic which is totally understandable but our cat being the little psycho he is :D decided to hop off the wall into the neighbours garden and terrorise the puppy
    The neighbours called to my door asking for the name of our landlord as they wanted to lodge a complaint :eek:
    Rather surprised at finding that we actually own the house and aren't renting but that's not relevant really

They want my cat either confined to the house or given away :eek:

Our cat is a male neutered moggy hates strangers but seems to take delight in terrorising other animals

He lives indoors and goes out 3 times a day generally for 20-30 minutes a time and most of that is spent sitting on our shed roof surveying his surroundings
    He is litter trained and sleeps indoors but I don't see why I should have to keep him indoors 24/7

Any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Could you put spikes on your wall, like this -

gallery8.jpg

It might stop him walking on the wall between the 2 houses and terrorising the dog.

There's a cat trying to hunt my rabbits and it's digging out my flowerbeds trying to get at them. When I either find out who owns the cat, or manage to catch the cat there's going to be murder.

It's an old boards argument (if you search for dog v cat you'll get plenty of threads) but in my opinion unless you can keep your pet on your premesis at all times, no matter what species that pet is, then it shouldn't be let out of the house. It's simply not fair for any pet to go into someone elses garden and terrorise their pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

nice new neighbours you got there .tell them to get over themselves,its a cat for pity sake ,tell them to keep there dog in ,or get a real dog not some little half dog but i dont think you get a christmas card from them this year:D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

Could you put spikes on your wall, like this -

gallery8.jpg

It might stop him walking on the wall between the 2 houses and terrorising the dog.

There's a cat trying to hunt my rabbits and it's digging out my flowerbeds trying to get at them. When I either find out who owns the cat, or manage to catch the cat there's going to be murder.

It's an old boards argument (if you search for dog v cat you'll get plenty of threads) but in my opinion unless you can keep your pet on your premesis at all times, no matter what species that pet is, then it shouldn't be let out of the house. It's simply not fair for any pet to go into someone elses garden and terrorise their pet.
    i got 6 rabbits and 1 cat and the cat is afraid of the rabbits, put pepper on your flower beds cats not meant to like it

sandra06 wrote: »
    i got 6 rabbits and 1 cat and the cat is afraid of the rabbits, put pepper on your flower beds cats not meant to like it

The rabbits aren't bothered by the cat, but I'm very bothered by the digging. Will try the pepper

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

A one-off, I'd ignore.

But if your pet was repeatedly coming into my yard and causing trouble, then yes, I'd be asking you to confine your pet - be it a dog, digging and pooing, a cat, crapping and teasing my animals, or a rabbit digging under the fence - in each of those instances, if it's your animal, it IS your problem.

I don't let my six cats wander all over the place, shit in other people's gardens and attack their animals so I don't see why I, or anyone else, should have to put up with someone else's animal doing it to me?

Try to confine your cat with a fence topper, or ask your neighbours to turn the garden hose on him if he comes into their yard.

Here's the thing - a cat can easily damage a pup. There's been more than one pup lose an eye or suffer an ulcerated eye from a scratch from a cat. If they presented you a vet bill because your cat attacked their dog, on their property, would you pay it?

And reversal - let's say they had a dog destined to grow larger than a CKC, if it came onto your property and attacked your cat, would you expect them to pay the vet bill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

angelfire9 wrote: »
    He lives indoors and goes out 3 times a day generally for 20-30 minutes a time and most of that is spent sitting on our shed roof surveying his surroundings
    He is litter trained and sleeps indoors but I don't see why I should have to keep him indoors 24/7

Just thinking if he only gos out three times a day for half an hour could you keep this to a regular time, tell the neighbour this so they can keep their dog in side when your cat is out and when your cat is in their dog can roam around their garden. It seems only sensible but it really depends on how resonable your neighbours are.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

This is a common discussion on here alright. I can see your annoyance at this especially as you lived there first and such but, like others have said, cats and dogs should be confined to their owners property, end of story. Roaming cats are a nuisance and my dogs used to be driven mad by s neighbours cat that would sit out of reach taunting them. your neighbours don't sound very reasonable though, if they've only moved in you'd think they'd try and keep things amicable. secure your fence to stop your cat getting out cos at the end of the day, they have a right to let their dog out into the garden too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Love the spikes anyone know where I could get them or equivalent?

BTW Thanks for replies everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The spikes - I used to have an outdoor cat in Ireland many years ago. She irritated the hell out of a neighbour by lying on his garage roof all day. He put wet cement on the edges of the roof and laid about a foot - I swear to God, a FOOT - thick of broken glass in spikes set into the cement.

She used to tiptoe elegantly through it every day and take her snooze on his roof.

You're better off with an inclined netting sloping into your garden that prevents the cat gaining any access to the top of the fence.

She used to tiptoe elegantly through it every day and take her snooze on his roof.

LOL

• Advertisement

Love the spikes anyone know where I could get them or equivalent?

BTW Thanks for replies everyone :)

This was where I got the pic from
    http://www.cactus-products.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I would agree with sweeper, if you get some wire mesh or netting and put supports up with a 45 degree angle inwards, then attach the wire/netting, the cat can't jump over it.
    Once the height is sufficient and the angle right, also make sure there's nothing to climb on to make it over the fence.
    It also keeps your cat safe from cars and dogs and nasty neighbours (one of mine throws stones at my cats, as do her kids), while the kitty can still safely enjoy your garden.
    I have this set up, one cat still escapes occasionally(houdini could learn from him), but most of the time it works.

I found 2 ft of a over hang works best, mine goes up about 3 ft from the wall then inwards for the top 2ft. (My wall is less than 4ft high, if yours is higher you might not need it that high)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Your neighbours could have been more tactful with the way they approached you, but there's a good chance that they're worried about the rest of the people in the area and the possibility that they will be seen as the newcomers with the noisy dog.

I'm always aware that even though I can't stop roaming cats from coming near my garden if my neighbours get annoyed by the dogs barking at the cats I'm the one going to get in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Frankly? Would tell them where to go and how to get there.

They are new; they need to get used to the neighbourhood.

Give the cat away indeed...Cat will get used to the dog soon.

Suggest THEY keep the dog inside. Give and take time.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Frankly? Would tell them where to go and how to get there.

They are new; they need to get used to the neighbourhood.

Give the cat away indeed...Cat will get used to the dog soon.

Suggest THEY keep the dog inside. Give and take time.
    So you're suggesting that the OP give an ultimatum to their neighbours? That doesn't sound like 'give and take' to me. Give and take would suggest that both sides attempt to reach a compromise, such as the OP having set times to let the cat out so that their new neighbours can take the dog in during those times as was suggested above.

The dog's owners were probably a bit tactless in the way they went about it, but they're just requesting that the OP keep the cat out of their garden which is a perfectly reasonable request.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

kylith wrote: »
    So you're suggesting that the OP give an ultimatum to their neighbours? That doesn't sound like 'give and take' to me. Give and take would suggest that both sides attempt to reach a compromise, such as the OP having set times to let the cat out so that their new neighbours can take the dog in during those times as was suggested above.

The dog's owners were probably a bit tactless in the way they went about it, but they're just requesting that the OP keep the cat out of their garden which is a perfectly reasonable request.

I think what Graces7 was alluding to was the neighbours requesting the cat should be kept in the house at all times, hardly a fair request and certainly not a compromise on their part.

Op, if you do a quick search online you will find some very good examples of cat fencing, or fence toppers like mymo has suggested. Bear in mind the material used must be strong and flexible or your cat will find it easy to climb over. As a cat owner myself i would prefer to spend a few euro making sure my cat was safe and sound in my own garden!!

Morning all
    Quick update

I spoke to the neighbours as suggested and told them that the cat gets out for 30 mins three times a day at 9.15, 4pm and 7.30pm
    They were not happy but seemed to accept this solution

In the meantime I am looking at some fencing options (thanks for all suggestions so far)

This morning has been interesting though
    Was up at 8 to sort out mini me for school and the cat was going MENTAL at the front door jumping up at the handle desperate to get out
    Very unusual for our moggy as he is normally quiet in the mornings

Of course me being a total MORON instead of looking out the window to see what was outside I opened the door
    Out like a flash was our psycho kitty to say hello to a certain brown & white puppy who was pooping in our garden (payback I'm guessing)

I have now witnessed first hand the "terrorism" of our cat towards this pup
    There was no scratching or hissing or screeching he simply jumped on the dog's back and the mutt was too shocked to roll over and knock him off
    Both of them got a saucepan of water thrown over them the cat ran back into the house and the pup went home
    (I hasten to add the dog was not injured because he was wearing a heavy tartan kinda coat)
    Note to self: must take photo

Queue another rant from the neighbours that if their dog gets a cold I'll be getting the vet bills! :eek:

I am SORELY tempted to give up and let the cat have free run outside 24/7

My neighbours are idiots :(

EDIT:
    This is the kinda coat i'm talking about:
    http://www.dogjacketsandcoats.co.uk/tartan-dog-coats/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Oh god.
    Sorry OP, I think you're stuck with bad neighbours. I've no suggestions for you - you're looking into cat fencing and all the rest, and honestly, I'm not sure what else you can do? And their dog was in your garden.....was there anybody with it or was it roaming around free...coz that in itself isn't great either.
    As for the Sweeper and the cat on the garage roof - some people:rolleyes:. How on earth was the cat on the garage roof interfering with the neighbour in any way??!

There was no sign of anyone with their dog this morning
    I think (trying to give them as much credit as possible) that the dog escaped via the side gate when they put out their bin this morning but they didn't notice

I'm torn between laughing at their stupidity and being furious with them at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

LOL:D
    so puppy can come and poop in your garden and your cat cannot go in their garden?

Honestly you need to speak to your neighbours and come to an arrangement before this gets out of control. It sounds like an episode of roadrunner or something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Poor you, your neighbours sound awful

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsis

What's with your neighbours, they give out about your cat being in their garden but then their dog is in yours. Why should you be going to the effort of containing your cat in your garden if they're not going to do the same?! If it was me I would not be happy. Of course it seems very likely that you could have continuous arguments on your hands here but you should still stand your ground and not let them walk all over you. Tell them that you're getting you garden cat proofed so your cat can't get out but they're going to have to do similar with their garden. It's their responsiblilty to keep their pet contained in their garden!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

<snip>

Hang on a sec... THEIR dog pooped in YOUR garden, and they've got the cheek to threaten with vet bills????

:eek:

I'm sorry to say it, but you seem to have got yourself a case of nasty a$$hole neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Most of you know from previous threads my opinion on cats in other peoples gardens (i.e they shouldnt be) but i feel just as strongly about roaming dogs (and im a dog lover). Your neighbours, while entitled to have their dog out the back, sound like complete and utter ar*eholes! The cheek of them saying anything to you and then letting their dog out to crap in your garden! Im sorry OP that you have to deal with such people. If it happens again id record the date and time of the pooping and give the details to the litter warden along with their name and address to get a fine issued. People like that don't deserve to be treated with civility

Oh for gods sake!! Having someone elses cat in my garden drives me nuts, but equally would someone elses dog pooing in my garden. Tell them to take their vets bill and walk, if they can't control their own dog and keep it on their property then they pay the consequences.

Fair play to you organising a rota and looking into cat fences, they now also need to be as responsible.

OP, you're acting magnificently in this. I can't believe that they had the cheek to allow their pet into your garden after asking you to keep your cat out of theirs. I hope you asked them to keep their dog as contained as your cat will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

If they carry on with this nonsense I'd be complaining EVERY time I heard a bark out of their dog. Get the dog warden out to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Morning all
    Quick update

(I hasten to add the dog was not injured because he was wearing a heavy tartan kinda coat)
    Note to self: must take photo

Queue another rant from the neighbours that if their dog gets a cold I'll be getting the vet bills! :eek:

I am SORELY tempted to give up and let the cat have free run outside 24/7

My neighbours are idiots :(

EDIT:
    This is the kinda coat i'm talking about:
    http://www.dogjacketsandcoats.co.uk/tartan-dog-coats/

thanks for giving me a laugh out loud!! what a ridiculous thing to put on the dog!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

thanks for giving me a laugh out loud!! what a ridiculous thing to put on the dog!!

It's not that ridiculous, I know a mini jack russel that has such short fur that she might as well have none. When it's cold and she's out she quickly starts shivering(nearly died as a pup too developed into a lung infection) She had a coat but because of a bad experience with a collar she hates anything around her so doesn't like the coat but it's either that or pick her up and stuff her under your own coat. Which a 50+ year old builder has done and felt like a tool carrying around this little dog.

Forgot to add, op keep us updated if there's any further developments. Was thinking too if they thought you were renting maybe they are, you could complain to their landlord

• Advertisement
Advertisement