Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

icdg wrote: »
    It’s pretty obvious though why it doesn’t apply to Ireland; BT cannot sign any deal with Sky for wholesale access in Ireland while the Eir Sport deal continues.

But after that deal comes to an end; well who knows...

Can people with Sky currently pay extra to get the BT channels in Ireland or does eir have exclusive rights?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The answer to that question isn’t really either of the alternatives you posed.

Sky customers who don’t have Eir broadband can take the Eir Sport pack (eir Sport 1&2, BT Sport, and Box Nation) as a stand-alone pack at €25pm. Because eir do not have a wholesale deal with Sky, you need to order direct from eir. Strictly speaking you don’t even need an active Sky subscription at all, just a Sky STB and viewing card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If you're a UK viewer; you should be disappointed to hear that BT Sport's 4K channel is not part of this wholesale deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

If you're a UK viewer; you should be disappointed to hear that BT Sport's 4K channel is not part of this wholesale deal.
    This has been the case for over 2 years now since BT Sport launched their 4K channel which is exclusive to BT TV customers only and is via broadband connection. Disappointing for those subscribing to BT Sport via Sky but old hat nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

The answer to that question isn’t really either of the alternatives you posed.

Sky customers who don’t have Eir broadband can take the Eir Sport pack (eir Sport 1&2, BT Sport, and Box Nation) as a stand-alone pack at €25pm. Because eir do not have a wholesale deal with Sky, you need to order direct from eir. Strictly speaking you don’t even need an active Sky subscription at all, just a Sky STB and viewing card.

I think Eir Sport is now €27.50 pm now or a whopping €330 per year to any rich subscribers who didn't do black friday. I cancelled when my last deal expired. They are rip off merchants - big price for very little worth watching! They kept putting Black Friday price up by 15-18% every year. Enuff is enuff as they say!

When sky had the monopoly for sport the price was always reasonable think.
    Other players in the market just screwed it price wise for everyone.

• Advertisement

Massive, and i stress very much unconfirmed report, that at least the Irish pay-TV rights to the Pro14 are to return to Eir Sport next season.

http://www.the42.ie/eir-sport-pro14-tv-rights-3793899-Jan2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Massive, and i stress very much unconfirmed report, that at least the Irish pay-TV rights to the Pro14 are to return to Eir Sport next season.

http://www.the42.ie/eir-sport-pro14-tv-rights-3793899-Jan2018/

Does this deal cover the uk too? Premier sports is the eir version in the uk.
    Or will we see the FreeSports channel on freesat being used?

We don’t know. As of now there is no deal. Just an unconfirmed report. My suspicion is that this must include U.K. too and Premier Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Very interesting. The Pro 14 were looking for a big increase in TV money. SKY probably didn't think getting into a bidding war with Eir was worth it for only non exclusive rights or not essential to their business model now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/sky-sports-tv-coverage-guinness-14149861 irish rights only according to this. sky tendered but only wanted full uk and irish rights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/sky-sports-tv-coverage-guinness-14149861 irish rights only according to this. sky tendered but only wanted full uk and irish rights.

The neck of Sky to automatically think that they should have Ireland rights as part of the UK deal.

Premier League deal should be the same

Schwanz wrote:
    Premier League deal should be the same

It is. Ireland rights sold separately but SKY and BT always get the same rights as the UK.

That’s the wrong premise in both cases.

Sky’s offer, it appears, was to pay for a U.K. and Ireland deal. Not a case that they’d only pay for U.K. and expect to get ROI rights thrown in for free. For the Pro14, having the Irish rights represents a large portion of the value of the deal. Without Irish rights, you are effectively talking rights to the games of the four Welsh and two Scottish teams. The Pro14 doesn’t have the same following in either country, even among rugby fans, as it does here (because unlike here, where the fans embraced the provinces, the Welsh fans in particular were aghast at what they saw as “shotgun marriages” between teams, Neath and Swansea in particular. From a fan perspective it would have been like Man United and Liverpool announcing a merger). You can fully and completely understand Sky walking away in those circumstances.

As for the Premier League, it does sell the Irish and U.K. rights to its game separately. It is not for us mere mortals to speculate why the same companies always win the same rights to the same packages in both countries....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

As for the Premier League, it does sell the Irish and U.K. rights to its game separately. It is not for us mere mortals to speculate why the same companies always win the same rights to the same packages in both countries....

We all know that the PL throw in the Irish rights except the 3pm to mirror the games in the UK lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

TG4 will have no Pro 14 games? ****e.

We don’t know that either. In fact we know little or nothing about the detail of this, because it’s not actually done yet.

This WalesOnline article seems to be of the view that yes, it’s a joint Eir Sport/Premier Sports deal covering both U.K. & Ireland:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/little-known-pay-tv-channel-14157733

could this be considered a backward step for the Pro14? taking Eirs money and reducing exposure in England replcing sky with premier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Schorpio

could this be considered a backward step for the Pro14? taking Eirs money and reducing exposure in England replcing sky with premier?

Yes, in my opinion. Though others are welcome to disagree! Although it remains to be seen what games TG4 might get (if any).

I remember the Setanta days, and I barely saw any domestic rugby. When RTE2/TG4 got the rights, I was over the moon. In fairness, it does make the Eir Sports package very tempting from a rugby perspective - Pro14, Champions Cup, World Cup. Shame Eir are a terrible company, with an appalling customer service record, and who don't give two hoots about providing half decent infrastructure to anyone outside the urban environment.

I cut the pay tv cord last year though, and I'm not going back. Yes, the sports I love are all slowly migrating behind a paywall, but the solution is to not buy it. If enough of us do it, then the tide might turn. I'm definitely not holding my breath though!!

It's all about the money and how much Eir are paying. Pro 14 has more exposure now with the South African teams involved and in theory demand more money from broadcasters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Badabing wrote: »
    It's all about the money and how much Eir are paying. Pro 14 has more exposure now with the South African teams involved and in theory demand more money from broadcasters.

I think the additional exposure from the addition of the SA teams isn't a factor when it comes to the Eir deal. Nobody in the Northern Hemisphere is now avidly watching Pro14 games because 2 teams which weren't good enough for Super Rugby are now playing in this league.

The Pro14 don't 'demand more money from broadcasters' as you put it. Broadcasters need the league as much as they need the broadcasters. It's a case of highest bidder wins. In this case it seems territorial rights were also a factor for Sky. But the likes of TG4 are dead in the water if a dedicated sports broadcaster decides it wants a slice of the pie. No way they can compete with that sort of financial muscle.

It's the same reason that both BBC and RTE have been slowly losing their rights too.

I don't disagree with you. The devil will be in the detail. If Eir outbid SKY for the Irish rights that's a big deal, but then the UK rights go to Premier, are they getting less money from Premier than the last contract. My point is that the Pro 14 would want to be getting more than the 14 million a season they got in the last deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Will some of these matches be available on the FreeSports channel with this new rights deal?

would eir be paying 5 million a year for it? thats what sky were reportedly paying for uk and irish rights with bbc etc paying 5 million?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Absolutely is a backwards step if FTA coverage is taken away. There are plenty who enjoy it that cannot afford pay tv.

Probably not of interest to many, but Eir Sport’s loss of Australian Rugby League rights to Sky confirmed today.

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/11240622/sky-sports-sign-five-year-deal-to-show-regular-nrl-matches

What Premier Sports/Eir Sport 2 will do to fill their summer schedule who knows. More GAA repeats I guess.

BT Sport Box Office added to Sky on EPG 494, though what it will be showing (boxing and UFC, I guess?) is currently a mystery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

Talk of Sky losing the rights to Spanish football in today's papers.
    I would love to see BT/eir pick it up. Drop the French football, even though I'd miss the Marseille games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

BT Sport Box Office added to Sky on EPG 494, though what it will be showing (boxing and UFC, I guess?) is currently a mystery.

Weren't they already showing Boxing on a Boxnation box office?
    GGG vs Canelo was on box office last year.

• Advertisement

There is a Box Nation HD channel alright that shows live fights and is available on a PPV basis alright. It’s not part of the BT/eir arrangement at present though.

As for La Liga - I’d be skeptical on that front. A few years back the press told us that BT had the rights in the bag and Sky had pulled out of bidding only for Sky to announce that they had kept the rights. That said Sky just aren’t putting the same effort into their coverage of late as they did a few years back, el Classico aside. BT would be no better mind you having dropped the European Football Show wrapper for their Ligue 1/Serie A coverage, one of the best football panels on TV while it aired.

Advertisement