Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rootsireland - one day sub

• 17-05-2016 2:35pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭

https://rootsireland.ie/ifhf/subscribe.php

€10 for a 24 hour sub - great idea of theirs.
    I'll certainly make use of it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

You'll need more than that to get any worth out of that diabolical search engine. If they allowed for proper wildcard searches one would have a chance of finding stuff in there within that day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Tychoo

I gave up on this site. Way too expensive

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, to be fair to it, the irishnewsarchive is also a tenner for a one day sub and I have problems searching their database too.

I think it's a positive move and a good response to Ancestry/FMP having the database transcribed, which the NLI let them do for free.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Both Roots and Irish News Archive need to improve their services - merely reducing their prices is not sufficient.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

If you use the 1 day subscription, can you just put in a name or do you have to trawl through the whole lot, Thanks

• Advertisement

There is a searchable database, so you can just put in names.

Genealogy Forum Mod

To complete a search you still have to enter more than one parameter which is very frustrating.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

I signed up for their 24 hour subscription last weekend, and around 6 hours into it, I received a red warning telling me I had broken their monthly fair usage policy and could not use their website again for one month.

Part of their current deal is that if you sign up for one day, and proceed to join for one month, they will subtract your €10 from their monthly price. I was on the verge of doing this having gained some interesting new leads, but hitting their fair usage limit meant I couldn't do so.

I hadn't browsed very many records at all when I hit the limit, so beware the limit is quite tight. I wasn't using their website constantly for the 6 hours, more a few minutes here and there, probably an hour of use in total.

The reason I suddenly hit the limit was by quickly clicking through records for a very common Irish name (hoping to spot the correct parish) and I had no easy way of narrowing the results due to their search engine limitations.

I don't feel I got anywhere near a fair amount of use for €10, so just something to be aware of.

I've used the site more heavily many times in the past including last year and never hit any fair usage limits. I assume it's a new introduction.

I'm on mobile atm so please excuse short reply.
    Check their t&cs on the fair usage and I would send an email noting the issue. It doesn't make sense to have stingy policy in place for a day sub when clearly users will be trying to maximise usage

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Tychoo

Looks like a con job by RI.

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    ...It doesn't make sense to have stingy policy in place...

Yet that's been there way for as long as I can remember.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

What do you get with them, that you can't get anywhere else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

They have transcripts of more recent RC records than the NLI films, also civil and non-Catholic records.

Mumha wrote: »
    What do you get with them, that you can't get anywhere else ?

Headaches!:o

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement