Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shot size (Metric/equivalents)

• 15-08-2010 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I've been searching the tinternet for a shot size comparison table for a long time, and can't seem to find one that mentions the size of a specific cartridge i have, a nobel sport italia heavy load 0, as well as some other cartridges.

So i'm throwing it out here, in the hope that someone knows where there is a comprehensive chart, or just make one from what the cartridges we have.

I know that there's about 4 or 5 different national sizing standards, e.g. english, italian american. all using the same number type system, but being different actual sizes of shot. there'll probably be some confusion but if we can get somewhere then, it'll be farther than i've ever got.

When we get it sorted out then i'll make up some kind of chart, and post it up too (i made one from a chart i did find, even put 1:1 scale, size dots representing the actual sizes on it for easy reference, but i'm not happy with it)

So anyway, from the cartidges i have here the sizes are

shot size
    metric equivalent

3.9mm
    3.1mm
    english 4, us 5
    3.0mm
    2.9mm
    2.75mm
    7 1/2
    2.37mm or 2.41mm
    2.25mm or 2.3mm

copy the list and add to it what you can.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Not an answer, but maybe of some use

.50 (MOA) wrote: »
    I've been searching the tinternet for a shot size comparison table for a long time, and can't seem to find one that mentions the size of a specific cartridge i have, a nobel sport italia heavy load 0, as well as some other cartridges.

So i'm throwing it out here, in the hope that someone knows where there is a comprehensive chart, or just make one from what the cartridges we have.

I know that there's about 4 or 5 different national sizing standards, e.g. english, italian american. all using the same number type system, but being different actual sizes of shot. there'll probably be some confusion but if we can get somewhere then, it'll be farther than i've ever got.

When we get it sorted out then i'll make up some kind of chart, and post it up too (i made one from a chart i did find, even put 1:1 scale, size dots representing the actual sizes on it for easy reference, but i'm not happy with it)

So anyway, from the cartidges i have here the sizes are

shot size
    metric equivalent

3.9mm
    3.1mm
    english 4, us 5
    3.0mm
    2.9mm
    2.75mm
    7 1/2
    2.37mm or 2.41mm
    2.25mm or 2.3mm
    9................................... 2.03 0.080'' 562pellets in 28g

copy the list and add to it what you can.
    http://www.morningtonclaytarget.com/pdfs/science_of_shooting/3.%20Shot%20Size%20and%20Barrel%20Gauge.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭.50 (MOA)

going by that .pdf, then 0 comes between 1 and 2. it may just be this one cartridge thats confusing me?

1,0,2,3,4, . . ????? knew i was goin wrong somewhere:confused::confused:

maybe italian sizes are different?

.50 (MOA) wrote: »
    going by that .pdf, then 0 comes between 1 and 2. it may just be this one cartridge thats confusing me?

1,0,2,3,4, . . ????? knew i was goin wrong somewhere:confused::confused:

maybe italian sizes are different?

English Imperial and American may vary, a gallon is a prime example.
    You ask for a gallon of gas and they give you a smidgeen in the US; and 5.54Litres in england ~
    http://www.gunslot.com/pictures/shotgun-pellet-size-chart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭patsat

[QUOTE=Tackleberrywho;6746534
    You ask for a gallon of gas and they give you a smidgeen in the US; and 5.54Litres in england
    A us gallon is 3.785 litres..than less than a litre difference..saying 3.785 is only a smidgeen is a bit of an exaggeration!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

1/2 MOA et al

shotsizes.jpg

patsat wrote: »
    [QUOTE=Tackleberrywho;6746534
    You ask for a gallon of gas and they give you a smidgeen in the US; and 5.54Litres in england
    A us gallon is 3.785 litres..than less than a litre difference..saying 3.785 is only a smidgeen is a bit of an exaggeration!

You try getting a Tank of gas in dollars paid for in advance and sold in gallons ;)

My whole point is that even though both are said to operate the imperial system there is a few differences.

The Gallon bing a prime example, if you are buying anything from the states make sure you know your size conversions!
    or you could be like when NASA missed mars ;) they got the conversions wrong!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

5.54Litres in england ~

:confused:

1 gallon = 3.785 litres --- US

1 gallon = 4.54 litres --- UK
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    :confused:

1 gallon = 3.785 litres --- US

1 gallon = 4.54 litres --- UK

That was a type error Ezri should have read 4.54.

I sold enough gallons of oil in my time to know, even though it mostly came in 5litres farmers would still ask for a gallon!

Point being the name is misleading.
    Especially if you have an american Harley Motorbike and put an english gallon of oil.

I know a fella who did!

Advertisement