Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I have one pair of run shoes currently in use. I only wear one model, ever.

Do I have a problem?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Oryx wrote: »
    I have one pair of run shoes currently in use. I only wear one model, ever.

Do I have a problem?

Nah, I'm the same lately. Only bought a new pair when mine were feeling smashed in October and a Start Fitness promotion had them down to £80.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Lord knows I am no running shoe expert, but here's one of many similar articles I've read on the subject. And quite honestly, I have learned to respect the body and am willing to be active in my quest to keep myself injury free.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/study-backs-rotating-shoes-to-lower-injury-risk

Saturday, November 14th, 2014

Run plan: 8 miles steady (8 - 8:15 min/mile pace)

I was dressed for success (and for the frigid temps!!)...and introduced an old tool I haven't used while running in probably 9 or 10 months - my iPod. :D Yep, I'm going back to some of my ways and habits that seemed to bring me some success. Probably silly, I know, but 2013 was a very good year, while 2014 was the dumps.

This run felt amazing. I had my new adizero Boston boost running shoes on, and I swear they have little engines in them. I did this in the field, modified figure eight style, and tried my best to keep the pace as close to the specified range as possible....but these legs are fresh, and by mile 7 I totally gave into perceived effort. There was plenty of gas left in the tank at the end of mile 8, so that tells me I was disciplined with respect to the spirit of this run even if the pace indicates otherwise. And because I did this run on fresh legs (week 1 of training plan), I would bet dollars to donuts that this very same run might yield different results in a few weeks with accumulated mileage in the legs.

7:50, 7:46, 7:39, 7:46
    7:49, 7:48, 7:32, 7:24

Actual run: 8 miles in 1:01:41 for an average pace of 7:43 min/mile

I immediately hopped on the Black Cat after the run for a little kitty love - 30 minutes of gentle spinning while I ate my lunch. :)

And then it was some feel-good stretching, core and evil foam rolling to put an exclamation point on my training day. All is good in the hood!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Wow great pace for that run Dory!

• Advertisement

Sunday, November 16th, 2014

Run plan: 13 miles easy

I was looking forward to this run....in large part because I had decided to do this run based on heart rate. Yep, in my sincere mission to train smarter and to get all I can from each session based on their objectives, this session was about the use of energy and building aerobic endurance....therefore, my heart rate was to be my guide. Long story short...my max heart rate is somewhere in the neighborhood of 180 (for some reason I have 184 in my head from a year ago - outdated, I know, but trust me, this is not an exact science I am employing here), and so if I understand the zones correctly, I want to stay within 60 - 75% of my max heart rate for this type of session. Therefore, I knew I needed to stay at 135 bpm or below today.

Chilly out, so I bundled up accordingly. Tunes were my company, and the field was my familiar battlefield. The run was good - I kept a very close eye on the heart rate, but unfortunately let it drift a little higher than intended every now and then - mainly on the hills, and also towards the end of the run. Overall, however, I think I was very disciplined all things considered. I did find myself wondering from time to time if I could control my heart rate mentally and/or physically without compromising pace....but the absolute most interesting thing that came out of this run was the fact that I never once felt the need to stop or the need to take a gel. I didn't even need water. Hmm. This was intended to be a fat burning run, so I guess I had plenty of fat to burn! :eek::(:o Legs were ready to stop by the time the 13 miles were up, but aerobically I was totally fine.

The following stated as min/mile, bpm:
    9:49, 132
    9:44, 136
    9:52, 135
    9:57, 135
    9:38, 134
    9:37, 135
    9:41, 136
    9:34, 137
    9:13, 138
    9:29, 141
    9:24, 140
    9:26, 140
    9:28, 140

Actual run: 13 miles in 2:04:53 for an average pace of 9:36 min/mile and an average heart rate of 137 bpm

I wanted to get a little more aerobic base training in, so I hopped on the Black Cat and spun easy for an hour, keeping my heart rate around 125 bpm. It was high cadence, low resistance while I ate my lunch. :)

Followed all this up with stretching and foam rolling. !!!!

Tuesday, November 18th, 2014

Run plan: 6 miles easy + strides

Holy mackerel!!! Just when I thought it couldn't get any colder, the deep freeze set in. :eek: And the deep freeze was only trumped by the arctic wind that I battled today in my field over lunch. :eek::eek: Thank god for good running gear, otherwise this would have been absolutely miserable. Okayokayokay, so my face felt like frozen ice that could have easily shattered, but all the parts of my body that were covered were reasonably comfortable.

So, the run itself was fine. Went easy...didn't wear my Garmin...listened to music...thought of myself as a teeny tiny wedge cutting through the wind, and was happy to have that wind as my training partner today. I did the strides in the flat, straight middle section of the field - 6 of them, approximately 100m each. Felt good to let it rip.

Actual run: 6.3 doing-it-like-an-eskimo miles

Hopped on the Cat when I arrived home from work this evening to spin for 60 minutes while I read my new book, IronFit - Strength Training and Nutrition for Endurance Athletes. I am honestly still relatively ignorant on all things triathlon or endurance sport, but I am learning, and I want to learn. I'm also reading my power meter book (yawn), and I'm waiting on another book about IM training. Knowledge is power, and I'm approaching 2015 with both guns blazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Hi Dory,

I was just wondering are the short and easy turbo sessions something that are prescribed by your run coach or are you adding them in yourself, and how do you find them? Do you think they benefit your running or is it just a way of keeping your bike legs ticking over?

I'm a fan myself and think they're wondrous for tight and tired legs, almost like a massage in ways, really freshens and loosens them up.

pointer28 wrote: »
    Hi Dory,

I was just wondering are the short and easy turbo sessions something that are prescribed by your run coach or are you adding them in yourself, and how do you find them? Do you think they benefit your running or is it just a way of keeping your bike legs ticking over?

I'm a fan myself and think they're wondrous for tight and tired legs, almost like a massage in ways, really freshens and loosens them up.

Hi Pointer!

This is definitely my idea to add these bike sessions. It's all run focus right now with an ultra and then a marathon in the next 5 months, but I'm also trying to accomplish many things by spinning on the bike in a non-impact, supplemental kind of way for as soon as the marathon is done, it's all about IM training. :) And there is no doubt, my legs recover much quicker if I spin on the bike. Fresher and looser, as you say!!! So, I'd say the spinning benefits the running by facilitating recovery.....AND I am trying to keep the bike legs ticking over knowing what looms on the horizon.

Snap!

That's exactly my thinking but it's based on nothing only my own feelings and I was hoping someone would agree with me.

Best of luck in the Ultra and Marathon. Any thoughts on another IM yet?

• Advertisement

pointer28 wrote: »
    Snap!

That's exactly my thinking but it's based on nothing only my own feelings and I was hoping someone would agree with me.

Best of luck in the Ultra and Marathon. Any thoughts on another IM yet?

:) IM Louisville.

Wednesday, November 19th, 2014

Run plan: 2 miles easy, 8 x 1 minute hills :eek:, 2 miles easy

Well....the good news is, my sleepy little town is not short on hills...and the bad news is, I have not done any sort of hill work in almost a year. :o Yikes!!! But I knew the perfect hill I was going to tackle for this session - it's one I used to run (and cuss) all the time pre-injury. From start to finish, it's about a mile long - ridiculously steep to begin with in the center of town, then it levels off and then into a slight decline, and then it begins a healthy climb that morphs into a healthier climb and then keeps going. It was at the beginning of the healthy climb that I designated as my starting line for each of the 1 minute excursions.

This was done sneaky lunchtime style all bundled up to protect myself from the bitter elements. (I can't say how important it is to have good winter gear!!) A 2 mile jaunt into town, and I was getting my head in the game. I had my watch all set to alert me to my 1 minute hill reps, and then to my 3 minute recovery reps (I was given the recovery range of 2:30 to 3 minutes, and I took the 3 minute option :D), and after a few deep breaths I was off and running. Or should I say, off and huffing and puffing? Wow. The first 30 to 40 seconds of each hill rep wasn't too bad, but once the grade and distance hit a certain point, I felt like I was running in ugly slow motion. I'm sure I was a sight to see on Main Street over the busy lunch hour, running up and down this hill for a total of 32 minutes....and no doubt I was the topic of conversation at a few dinner tables tonight!

I approached each hill rep with the goal of trying to keep the effort high (3k effort, 10k-HM pace) and even over all 8 reps....and I honestly think I did a pretty good job. There's no point in stating the individual hill paces since the Garmin has serious limitations when recording such small increments, but suffice it to say what it did record indicated pace was brisk and effort was consistent. (Oh hell, here are the paces..which don't mean a thing...but this is Dory, and I live for numbers and stats and all that dorky stuff - 6:44, 6:17, 6:14, 6:19, 6:32, 6:30, 6:28, 6:20) I seemed to recover pretty well between reps, but the last 4 were definitely the toughest....and I pushed it on the last one to the point that I nearly lost my breakfast and morning snacks on the sidewalk by the local car wash. That would not have been pretty! After the nausea passed, I headed back through town at an easy clip, very happy to have that session behind me!!!

Actual run: 6.86 hilly, hill, hill on Main Street, USA miles

Post work, it was 40 minutes of spinning on the Cat to loosen the legs....followed by some heavenly stretching, core, and then oodles of foam rolling, giving special attention to my TFL and quad muscles.

Thursday, November 20th, 2014

Run plan: 6 miles easy + strides

Other than it being a good 30 degrees warmer and a few notches down on the blow-yer-roof-off-da-house wind scale, today's lunch hour run looked just like Tuesday's lunch hour run. However, I felt slower today, and I was aware of yesterday's hill session in the legs. Legs weren't/aren't sore, just some muscle fatigue....which is a bit shocking when I do the hill session math: 8 x 1 minutes running up a hill = 8 minutes running up a hill = less than 1.5 miles running up a hill. So, my legs have 8 minutes, or less than 1.5 miles in them, and I am aware of it? It just seems so wrong on the surface.

Actual run: 6.3 slow-with-the-hills-in-them-thar-legs field miles + 6 as-spiffy-as-I-could-get 100m strides

A 60 minute evening spin on the Cat made the legs feel like butter.

Two nights in a row now I've had the same dream.....I'm doing an IM....and the run section takes place in a cluttered yet familiar store I used to happily frequent as a youth - the local Variety Store. We all had maps to show us the path around the store to get our 26.2 miles, and there were also official race people standing at the end of the aisles to point us in the right direction. The problem was, I had lost my course map, and the race peeps were also merchants so they were multitasking by assisting customers AND directing us, which meant they weren't always available to help us at the aisle intersections, which meant I hadn't a clue which way to go most times. :confused: Ugh!!! Very frustrating!!! And why the heck am I having this sort of dream now??? It's not even taper madness!!! If this is any hint how the next 11 months are going to go for me, I better buckle my seat belt!

Easy to see that dream is your concern at facing into training and being unsure what way to go..... although.... its a shop... buying stuff... triathlon.....

yup. you just need to buy stuff.

Easy to see that dream is your concern at facing into training and being unsure what way to go..... although.... its a shop... buying stuff... triathlon.....

yup. you just need to buy stuff.

That's funny....I just ordered a few running items from lululemon last night! :)

Friday, November 21st, 2014

Run plan: 4 miles recovery

Sneaky lunchtime chilly lovely-little-jaunt-around-the-field-while-I'm-light-on-my-feet recovery run. Keeping with the program....this was all recovery. Discipline. Without guilt. I don't think the body has felt this good in a year.

And speaking of guilt and discipline and rest (not recovery)....here's an article I already shared on pointer's log that has me rethinking some of my habits. Training smarter...I want to train smarter.
    http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/multisport-lab/articles/rules-of-rest-111814.aspx

Actual run: 4.2 recovery miles to prepare me for the weekend

All your running is making me nervous. Only what... 12 weeks till the Ironhoochie meetup at Donadea for that wee little 50k jog.....

All your running is making me nervous. Only what... 12 weeks till the Ironhoochie meetup at Donadea for that wee little 50k jog.....

:eek: 12 weeks??!! And to think, just the other day someone said it was a long way off. Not!!!

Dory Dory wrote: »
    :eek: 12 weeks??!! And to think, just the other day someone said it was a long way off. Not!!!

My longest run since april is 13k.... dya think I should be concerned? :)

• Advertisement

My longest run since april is 13k.... dya think I should be concerned? :)

Ah no....you'll be grand. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Two nights in a row now I've had the same dream.....I'm doing an IM....and the run section takes place in a cluttered yet familiar store I used to happily frequent as a youth - the local Variety Store. We all had maps to show us the path around the store to get our 26.2 miles, and there were also official race people standing at the end of the aisles to point us in the right direction. The problem was, I had lost my course map, and the race peeps were also merchants so they were multitasking by assisting customers AND directing us, which meant they weren't always available to help us at the aisle intersections, which meant I hadn't a clue which way to go most times. :confused: Ugh!!! Very frustrating!!! And why the heck am I having this sort of dream now??? It's not even taper madness!!! If this is any hint how the next 11 months are going to go for me, I better buckle my seat belt!

Sounds like you need a target race so you can focus the residual taper madness. My most memorable running stress dream was finding myself running towards the finish line .... from the reverse direction ! Where there any clowns ?

Edit: Ooops. Had not read the above ...12 weeks to the next event ? Ok, in that case .... **shakes head sadly**
    And speaking of guilt and discipline and rest (not recovery)....here's an article I already shared on pointer's log that has me rethinking some of my habits. Training smarter...I want to train smarter.
    http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/multisport-lab/articles/rules-of-rest-111814.aspx

Yes, I've got serious about this in the last year. I think the "stepback" week every 3/4 weeks might be the key to staying health in the long term. It also allows you make allowances for "real life" - e.g. I am travelling next week so next week was scheduled as my stepback week, no serious sessions, as much easy running as I can fit in without stressing. Lot of the pros also take a few weeks off every year - so I am now doing the same post every target race - no running at all for a week: not easy, not recovery. I am hoping that this will allow me continue my injury free streak.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Sounds like you need a target race so you can focus the residual taper madness. My most memorable running stress dream was finding myself running towards the finish line .... from the reverse direction ! Where there any clowns ?

Edit: Ooops. Had not read the above ...12 weeks to the next event ? Ok, in that case .... **shakes head sadly**

Yeah...12 weeks...but I think I am SO focused right now on all of 2015 that that is why I had that dream twice. I had another dream last night about either running or the IM, but it's a vague memory at this point in my day. But that Variety Store dream is still crystal clear in my mind!!!
    pgmcpq wrote: »
    Yes, I've got serious about this in the last year. I think the "stepback" week every 3/4 weeks might be the key to staying health in the long term. It also allows you make allowances for "real life" - e.g. I am travelling next week so next week was scheduled as my stepback week, no serious sessions, as much easy running as I can fit in without stressing. Lot of the pros also take a few weeks off every year - so I am now doing the same post every target race - no running at all for a week: not easy, not recovery. I am hoping that this will allow me continue my injury free streak.

After 2 solid years of run training, I am finally convinced that rest (and recovery) is (are) your friend(s). I'm apparently a slow learner.....or perhaps just stubborn thinking I'm Wonder Woman. :) And I'm sure I frustrated the daylights out of a particular person who has been trying to teach me these things. !!! Fingers crossed we both stay injury free in 2015 and beyond!

Saturday, November 22nd, 2014

Run plan: 2 miles easy, 8 x 1 mile @ MP w/ 90 sec recovery, 2 miles easy

Frigid, freezing cold this morning. :eek: 14 degrees Fahrenheit when I awoke at 5:30 this morning, and still only 30ish degrees when I finished up work mid-morning...however, I knew the temps were supposed to climb, so I waited until after noon to head out into the field to get this session done. And what a brilliant move that was because by 12:30 it was sunny and 50 degrees, which in my book is perfect weather to run in!

This was a pretty good run. I'd say my legs weren't quite as fresh and sharp as last Saturday's 8 mile steady run, but I think all things considering they felt fine. And I wore my pink adizero Boost's, and I still love them!! :) I did happen to notice that I tended to go out too fast on most of these 1 mile intervals, and then I had to slow it down over the last half of that mile to get closer to my targeted 7:30-7:40 pace. It's something I know I do every now and then, and it's something I will have to work on. The other thing I noticed about this run was how decent my 2 mile cool down pace was and felt. Most times I'd say that the final 2 miles of a quality session might be a good bit slower than the 2 mile warmup, but for whatever reason, today's cool down pace was exactly the same as the warmup pace. I actually didn't realize that until just now recording it in my log.

2 miles easy @ 8:55
    7:32, 7:25, 7:24, 7:28
    7:23, 7:25, 7:22, 7:17
    2 miles easy @ 8:55

Actual run: 13.3 miles in 1:47:16 for an average pace of 8:04 min/mile

After a quick wardrobe change, I hopped on the Black Cat, turned on the tunes, ate my lunch, and enjoyed a 50 minute spin that definitely did the legs some good.

Gentle stretching, stretching, stretching came next....and then some fairly painful foam rolling to finish it all up for the day. Whoop whoop!!! :)

Sunday, November 23rd, 2014

Run plan: 12 miles easy

Chilly and overcast to start with this morning, so I bundled up accordingly...but because I knew it would be a good bit warmer by the time I finished this run, I wore clothing that seems to "adjust" with the temps. And today was an Asics day - I'm doing a 3 shoe rotation at the moment.

And for the moment I am wearing the heart rate strap (that I absolutely hate wearing) and letting heart rate dictate the pace on these long, easy runs. As noted in my post from last Sunday, my goal with this type of run is to stay at 135 bpm or less (75% of max HR). Why? "Training in this zone improves the ability of your heart to pump blood and improve the muscles’ ability to utilize oxygen. The body becomes more efficient at feeding the working muscles, and learns to metabolise fat as a source of fuel." That's why.

Those crazy kids from Gogol Bordello were my very welcome company on this run, and it was hard not to bust loose a few times with their high energy, wicked gypsy violin and clever guitar. But I stayed fairly disciplined (by Dory standards), and like last Sunday, I was impressed with the lack of need for nutrition or hydration....instead, the body was self sufficient and required no outside assistance to fuel the demands of the run. My legs (and feet), on the other hand, were pooped by the time I got to mile 10, but the heart and lungs were wiling so they followed along dutifully to finish in style.

9:32, 9:59, 9:53, 9:47, 9:54, 9:59

9:52, 9:54, 10:04, 9:49, 9:59, 10:05

Actual run: 12 miles in 1:58:48 for an average pace of 9:54 min/mile and an average HR of 136 bpm

Wardrobe change, then a 60 minute spin on the Cat, keeping HR between 120-125. Put a fork in them, the legs were done when this was over.

Stretching....lots of gentle stretching.....then evil foam rolling. Week 2 in da books!!

Monday, November 24th, 2014

Run plan: 4 miles recovery

This was a sneaky lunchtime super-easy, loosey-goosey, shakin'-the-legs-out kind of run. Gah, legs were heavy and had the weekend in them. Thighs felt vaguely sore and not so vaguely huge. (they felt REALLY huge! :eek:) But everything improved as the midday trot unfolded...except I was way overdressed for the 70 degrees and sunshine. Thank god for the healthy breeze that was blowing me around!

Actual run: 4.2 heavy legged noontime field trotting miles

I decided to embrace this day as a recovery day so I pampered myself with some evening Injury Prevention Yoga, core, additional stretching, and slightly painful foam rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

The only thing huge about you is your winning smile and game for a game attitude :)

Tuesday, November 25th, 2014

Run plan: 4 miles easy, am.....6 miles easy, pm

A loverly jubberly noontime field trot in an easy breeze and sunshine. This felt pretty heavenly...and how nice to be out in such pleasant weather, especially when the weatherman is calling for snow tomorrow!!! :eek:

Actual run: 4.2 heavenly noontime field miles

Well, this little evening run really drove something home to me that I already knew but had been ignoring: the degree to which I have neglected running any hills is shocking. :(:o With the introduction of a second run in the day, and with daylight being nonexistent by the time I finish up work, I am (thankfully) being forced to hit the up and down streets of my little town. Wow. Basically, after I was injured, all street running stopped...honestly, running on pavement scared me....and I restricted all my runs to the safety of my grassy, soft field. Yes, there are some hills in the field, but they are more like baby bumps, if I am honest. And, better to have my come-to-Jesus moment sooner than later so that I can get my act together and hone my hill hoofing skills.

On a positive note, I had rare company for this run - and it was nice. I train almost exclusively by myself, but I can see how a periodic running partner this winter could be a good idea to keep things "fun". The run was kept honest and to an easy pace...but then again, after my friend threatened to tie an anchor to my @ss if I didn't go easy, I knew I couldn't get away with any fast footed shenanigans. But the hills. Good god the hills. I'm going to have to learn to embrace them all over again.

Actual run: 6.51 evening miles in 1:02:55 for an average slow as molasses in January hilly street pace of 9:41 min/mile

Wednesday, November 26th, 2014

Run plan: 13 miles steady

Today was supposed to be a track session (:eek:), but the snow that fell all day long (:eek:) scuppered that idea. So, I was instructed to swap out today's session for Saturday's....meaning, tonight I'd be doing 13 miles at an 8-8:15 min/mile pace....on the treadmill. :eek: <exhale> And, like last night's hilly street run, I haven't been on the treadmill since my injury. I wasn't totally jumping for joy over this idea, but I also appreciate the dynamics and challenges unique to the treadmill, and realize its value as a training tool and how it can enhance any plan.

So, downstairs I went....to knock this session out in rock and roll fashion like the good old days.

And you know what?

I owned this session. :)

I eased into an 8 min/mile pace over the first couple of miles, and then I never looked back. Legs felt good.....head was in the game....and I was focused on the task at hand. It had all the elements of a quality session. The only thing missing, perhaps, was a few more miles.

Actual run: 13 steady tready miles at an 8 min/mile pace and a 1% incline

• Advertisement

Fair dues running a HM on a treadmill, I think the best I've ever managed is 20 minutes.

Then again, we don't have your weather so I suppose it's a choice between treadmill or nothing at all.

Advertisement