Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

Anytime I've seen O'Riordan play football he's looked like a rolls royce of a player - I don't think Kennedy is quite in his league as a footballer?

Very very few of our minors are. Riordan is a real one off that comes around every so often. But i rate Kennedy as both a hurler and footballer. Very very solid. Bill Maher a very hardworking hurler but a classy footballer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Meanwhile, Tipp boss Eamon O'Shea has gone across the border and brought in former Offaly sharpshooter Brendan Murphy to his backroom team.

Murphy, 34, has taken over from Kevin Delargy as team doctor for the Premier County. Murphy, working in Roscrea, enjoyed a 13-year inter-county career with Offaly before retiring in November 2012.

He was on medical duty for the Offaly senior hurlers against Tipperary in last year's All-Ireland qualifier, after being asked to fill in on the day, but this is his first full-time inter-county role.

And Murphy acknowledged that his experience as a former inter-county player should help him to fit in quickly with Tipperary.

He said: "It makes it a bit easier that you've been there and can see it from a patient's point of view and a doctor's point of view."

Murphy added: "I got a call from Eamon, had a think about it and went for it. It's going to be busy."

Croom, South Liberties and Ballybrown have looked to Tipperary. After six seasons Sean Hehir departs South Liberties and is replaced by Kildangan’s Seamus Gleeson. Newly promoted Croom have Tipperary’s former Antrim manager Dinny Cahill as coach. He replaces Mike Galligan.

Ballybrown have former Tipperary and Toomevara hurler Eoin Brislane at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 chunkylover95

Logue was in the nets for Kerry today. Think in the long term Tipperary will regret letting him slip through their fingers, a quality keeper and was the most likely to succeed Gleeson in the long term, it's a pity really. But you can't blame him at all for wanting to take an opportunity at inter county.

Logue was in the nets for Kerry today. Think in the long term Tipperary will regret letting him slip through their fingers, a quality keeper and was the most likely to succeed Gleeson in the long term, it's a pity really. But you can't blame him at all for wanting to take an opportunity at inter county.

Good reactionary keeper in terms of shot stopping but there has been times when he has had to think about things that his decision making has been questionable. Agreed though he is one of the better keepers we have to choose from.

• Advertisement

We've not lost him at all - Wasn't David Butler with Kerry hurlers last year - he has played two preseason games now with the tipp hurlers this year...

I didn't know that evolving tipperary. Apologies. I suppose the argument is there that making the move to Kerry for the time being is a good one for him to develop and then come back as Butler did.

That argument could be made alright... Remains to be seen if Butler will make the cut for League and championship. We'll see...

I've asked around about him as a hurler....and one reply I got was: "He's a very good hurler...but he's too good at the trough.' I don't know if that's being fair to Butler - We'll have to see!!!

He's looking sharp at the minute it seems so hopefully he can carry on that form. I'd like to see Mikey Heffernan get more of a look in, he is a serious hurler on his day.

Mikey can hurl - but can he hurl against a defence like Kilkenny and Limerick - We're set up in such a way where we have to win games with a touch and strike rate which is almost 100% when they get it in the forwards - as they struggle to win ball and when they do they have to make use of it - and that's very tough against physical defenses like KK and Limerick - that's just the type of player we have - mickey is not going to add to a ball winning game - we have seamus and bubbles |(Lar to a lesser extent now) - we have to find work horses and ball winners to complement 2 to 3 scorers to feed the bullets. I can't see Mikey adding to that - so in effect he is up against Bubbles and Seamie (Lar, Noelie, and Jason Forde) to get a place in the team (and anybody else to looking to break into the squad and team).

those are the two teams we struggle against big time - Limerick and KK - because of the type of player and game we play - now we are also one of the few teams to who can beat KK and Limerick even when they are on their game - because of the players and type of game we play - but on average the irremovable object always beats the irresistible force in a psychical game like hurling - Kilkenny's backs have been instrumental to their success and the workrate of their forwards who are also serious stickmen to be fair

• Advertisement

Clare won - 16 points to 15- a lot of frees given away by Tipp - 16 in the first half.

https://twitter.com/BrophShane/status/556824537854394368/photo/1

Brendan Maher tried out in the corner - well, named in teh corner - don't know how he operated (wasn't at the game):

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2015/0118/673576-clare-tipperary/

and was on frees

Playing Maher in the forwards is interesting, could free up wing back for Mickey Cahill to come in if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

ya brendan maher played well.scrappy enough game clare played the short passing game and seemed to be playing with an extra man in midfield.wasnt much between the two teams and miles away from what we can expect later in the year.

I wonder can he take a penalty!!!

Seems a bit crazy from Clare - I suppose they want to get confidence back - but putting out a fair team with a good few first teamers with an extra man in midfield in the Crystal cup - playing the same short game - and not trying out something new at this time of year...but I suppose Davy knows what he wants to do and will just try and make Clare as good as possible at it

Tipp had been motoring along fairly contentedly without ever really worrying the Banner defence, instead enjoying a controlled performance from Stephen Maher and the busy Gearoid Ryan and a terrific turn by Brendan Maher as a play-everywhere, pick-pocketing centre-half forward.
    “It was his first game and he has been sick so I was going to take him off but fitness wise it was good for us to finish it,” said Eamon O’Shea.
    These are the concerns in January, rather than the score board: bringing players on, treating injuries and trying to gauge where everyone is at.
    “I was going to take him off after 15 of the second half but he wanted to stay on.”
    With the introduction of Kieran Bergin and Patrick Maher, Tipp suddenly seemed to rouse themselves and issued four quick points on the trot which introduced the prospect of Clare extending their losing streak into the New Year. Brendan Maher flicked a point to level it at 0-15 after intense Tipp’ forward pressure, with Patrick Maher applying his customary brand of energy and ball-winning prowess to the game, busting open what had been a tightly bound Clare defensive unit.
    “I was surprised,” smiled O’Shea of that swift comeback.
    “We were happy. It was a competitive game and it brought us on I would say. We were playing five forwards and a man out and they had to work very hard. But I was happy with the work rate. It was hard for forwards on a day like today.”

Right the times report has put a few things right - Tipp were playing with five forwards too and one man out - Brendan Maher was at 11

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Seems a bit crazy from Clare - I suppose they want to get confidence back - but putting out a fair team with a good few first teamers with an extra man in midfield in the Crystal cup - playing the same short game - and not trying out something new at this time of year...but I suppose Davy knows what he wants to do and will just try and make Clare as good as possible at it
    Is it really that crazy? Get the cob webs out early and as you say get as good as possible at what the coach wants
    RIP but tbf what relevance does that have to this thread?

• Advertisement

Not crazy - but just emphasizing a point - I think everyone knows how Clare play now and he needs to find alternative tactics - a plan b and c

It's relevance is obvious. One of Tipperary's biggest rivalries is with Kilkenny - they've pulled out of a competition due to a bereavement. I thought it was a nice gesture - if you're disinterested you can report me to the thread police!

Also, came across this Cody quote - the man is ruthless -

"People say going out in a match that ‘we’re prepared to die to win this game’ but that’s a dangerous thing to say. You should never say you’re prepared to die to win. You should always be prepared to kill to win a game. That’s the difference."

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

South draws made last night for Senior , Intermediate and Junior , anyone got them ? Under 21 and Minor will be made on Friday .

Is it really that crazy? Get the cob webs out early and as you say get as good as possible at what the coach wants

RIP"]http://www.the42.ie/kilkenny-walsh-cup-1894545-Jan2015/?utm_source=twitter_self[/URL] [/QUOTE]RIP but tbf what relevance does that have to this thread?

Ah well to be fair id make an exception in this case. Kilkenny may be our old foes but the tragic death of one of the family members of one of their players puts the whole area of rivalry into perspective. The GAA is one big united family at the end of the day. My deepest sympathies to Lester Ryan and his family

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Ah well to be fair id make an exception in this case. Kilkenny may be our old foes but the tragic death of one of the family members of one of their players puts the whole area of rivalry into perspective. The GAA is one big united family at the end of the day. My deepest sympathies to Lester Ryan and his family

Perfectly put.

Kilkenny have withdrawn from the Walsh Cup as a mark of respect to the Ryan family.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

are the tipp hurlers out this weekend does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Moyorris

They have to Kill Mallock on Sunday at 12 Noon

Senior Hurling Challenge - Tipperary v Kilmallock (Limerick) in Annacarty at 12 noon on Sunday

• Advertisement

“Len would have known . . . I wouldn’t have been an aggressive player and they gave me a bit of poetic licence. Lads would have indulged me a bit and my job was to make sure that indulgence paid off and the ball was . . . that I would do what I had to do. It was a responsibility. You had to finish chances. It wasn’t free.
    “Those guys wouldn’t give you anything for free. So it was a really good club and they would have looked after ye on the pitch and made sure that you were given the space to do what you wanted to do. But Len was just so passionate that I still carry the responsibility of that with me.”

“Listen, I want to win as well. I think the evidence is there that Kilkenny have a regime that manages to win games, as well as playing really brilliant hurling. They have class players to win those games. In terms of Tipperary, we are trying to find a way to get the wins to reflect what we do on the training pitch. But we are not quite there.
    “I can talk about performance but if you look at the players, the players want to win. It is if you don’t win – and Kilkenny have been gracious the odd time we do beat them – but if we don’t win, I am not going to say that it was a failure. Other people will and other people see it as a failure and they are absolutely entitled to.
    “But I won’t look at my team, knowing the work they do, and say that they have failed. We don’t have any baggage because of where we are. You do have to recognise the quality of the competitor you are facing. I do think Kilkenny are up there in terms of world teams in the environment they have created. That is down to Brian and the structure they have. And Tipp, we have been there since 2008 and have been very, very close and you just keep going. That is what you do.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/eamon-o-shea-interview-i-won-t-look-at-my-team-knowing-the-work-they-do-and-say-that-they-have-failed-1.2077506?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement