Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Megalomania A Pipe Dream?

• 21-02-2013 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭

I wanted to rule the world when I was a kid. Megalomaniacs were everywhere in the 80s, the pussy stroker in the 007 films, Gorbachev, the baddie in Dangermouse, Richard Branson. Other kids used to go around the playground singing 'Who You Gonna Call' and 'Wax on, wax off', but I went around saying

'No, Mr.Bond. I expect you to die.'

Now, when the world is smaller, and easier to take over than ever it was, no one seems interested any more.

Are there any more megalomaniacs out there, or am I the only one left?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Where To wrote: »

Nah, it's a Megadrive game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Sure who can afford the likes of a death star or an island volcano in this economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

No but the realisation of the goal(s) associated with it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I'm about two missions away from global domination in Command & Conquer Red Alert. THE WORLD WILL KNEEL BEFORE ME! MWAHAHAHAHA!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I'm backing Pinky to get there before you OP!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Ruling the world would be a full time job. I would just prefer to be rich and live a life of debauchery and sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Plenty of megalomaniacs operating, maybe no volcano bases, but read up on people like the Koch brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭jprboy

I can't say but I do think that the grave of Karl Marx is just another Communist plot.........

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

Em Rupert Murdoch?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Great Black Sabbath song.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I went blind after 'pussy stroker'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Where To wrote: »
    the baddie in Dangermouse,
    Baron Von Greenback was an inspiration to us all.

Since you haven't taken over the world already you've probably made some of these mistakes
    The Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord
    and
    http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/dungeon_a.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sure who can afford the likes of a death star or an island volcano in this economy?
    Try the budget range on http://www.villainsource.com/lairs.html
    Ex-al Qaeda caves - now available CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP

al-Qaeda caveNeed a quick place to lay low and plot your evil schemes -- but you have no money? Well, don't despair. For pennies a day, you and up to thirty of your closest terrorist buddies can find some warmth and partial shelter in one of our Afghan Caves. Recently abandoned by their previous occupants, these "natural lairs" sport real stone floors, natural stone ceilings, pleasant open-air entrances, and convenient "potty holes." And you might find a spare shell casing or two, a khyber knife, or even the badly photocopied plans for a horseback invasion of Kabul. You might even score a used dialysis machine!

Does not include obvious, accessible self-destruct mechanism -- but it might collapse at any time.

Price: US$18.50/month
    Sharper Image™ presents The Inflatable Lair

Inflatable LairHaving made billions on the Ionic Breeze®, the folks at The Sharper Image* are diversifying into Global Domination. Their first item for the Evil-enablement market? The Inflatable Lair®!

Just activate the battery-powered air pump**, and in minutes*** you'll have a lair worthy of a Supervillain!**** The inflatable lair is made of defense-grade mylar,***** and contains numerous compartments designed for plotting, scheming, and torturing; plus an exterior inflatable "Bikini Girl Lagoon." Includes convenient, obvious self-deflate mechanism.

Price: US$129.99
    *VillainSource is not affiliated in any way, shape or form with The Sharper Image. They're controlled by the Church of England / Vatican Bank / Reptilloid Conspiracy. Note also that we have never suggested that The Sharper Image Founder, Chairman and CEO Richard Thalheimer is himself a Reptilloid. As we have pointed many times, Mr. Thalheimer is only half-Reptilloid.
    **Requires nonflammable oxygen-hydrogen atmosphere, or equivalent; also, batteries.
    ***Roughly 1,850 minutes.
    ****Not any supervillain we'd hang out with.
    *****Do not use sharp objects, firearms, dental instruments, knitting needles or live tigers in The Inflatable Lair®.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

That North Korean lad seems to be having a go.

That site has everything you need for world domination http://www.villainsource.com/misc.html
    Multi-level marketing scheme

There's not much in the world more evil than a good Multilevel Marketing Scheme.

Why, it's been estimated that MLMs have ruined more lives than W.W.II, the Bhopal Disaster, and child actors combined.

And don't forget that many of today's largest Global Domination Conspiracies, like Amway and the International Cabal for Fascism, Terrorism, and Fine Quality Home Goods at Reasonable Prices, started as MLMs.

Get everything you need to start from this informative home presentation, brought directly to you in your lair or secret base. No obligation.

Price: Free

*Just contact Lord Kraal, Crusher of the Weak, Regional Sales Leader at 818-555-MLM1, and arrange for him and his lovely wife, Lady Ikog, Masher of Nads, to stop by your home or office to give an exciting no-obligation two-hour presentation about opportunities in MLMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭circadian

That North Korean lad seems to be having a go.

He's like the kid whose parents told him he's the best in the world at everything only to fail at everything.

At least he's trying.

circadian wrote: »
    He's like the kid whose parents told him he's the best in the world at everything only to fail at everything.

At least he's trying.
    but he is the best in the world, his best round of golf was 17 (the ball bounced in to the next hole)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I was going to take over the world but then I realised how much effort it would be running the whole place. Who could I delegate to? How do I balance the budget between palaces and doomsday weapons? And all that dancing!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,952 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

but he is the best in the world, his best round of golf was 17 (the ball bounced in to the next hole)

This is one of his better holes in one.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    This is one of his better holes in one
    That's a 14Kt explosion

which is about the size of the weapons they have, looks small in the valley

• Advertisement
Advertisement