Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A5 - Derry Dual Carraigeway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Can't we just lend them some money to finish this? I think the UK govt has little intention of any large infrastructure investment in the north as they believe it's on the way out but the Irish government does have an interest here for Donegal.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Why don’t we take our own advice and address the clear issues on the stretch of the Dublin-Derry/Donegal route within our own jurisdiction first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

We've given them nearly €100 million already out of a promised €220 million or so; we stopped when it was clear that nothing was going to be done.

The money is not the problem with A5, as the funds are voted and ready to spend - it doesn't even need the Executive to sit for this project to proceed. All that is needed is planning, and it can proceed automatically to tender without any further government decision needed. The problem is that a well-organised group of landowners and NIMBYs is obstructing the planning for this road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

Definitely needs some attention, lots of the N2 is actually of decent quality with a load of the at grade junctions modified to underpasses/roundabouts etc. The A5 is on another level in terms of quality though, it's horrendous and unbelievably dangerous. I, like many others, prefer to take the Belfast route to Derry from Dublin despite the A1 having it's own issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

... and not that I agree with with the NIMBYs etc are doing, but they make the M28 Steering Group look like amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Isn’t most of the N2 through Monaghan decent recently built road? Granted it’s 2+1 in places but is a fairly good road from the stretches I travelled before. Presume that 2+1 can be converted into 2+2 fairly easily. We should address this in tandem with the A5 which is unacceptable in terms of road safety

We should, but Eamonn Ryan is in control down here and is paring back N2 plans. He is not in charge up north, nor is he seemingly in charge of the purse strings in terms of potential money sent to the A5.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

We have two N2 projects on the go, first is an upgrade (mostly using the existing road with occasional deviations and extra side roads to maintain local connectivity) of the Ardee-Castleblayney section to 2+2, and a new road from Clontibret to the border. The first section is primarily for safety, this section has a horrendous record for fatal head on collisions. The second is a general upgrade for connectivity (and also safety, but the first section is massively needed for safety reasons).

The central part of the second phase, from Momaghan to Emyvale is not a 21st century national road, despite some modest improvements. Even on the open sections it has a 80Kmh speed limit and it passes a church and a school at Corracrin and then up the main street in Emyvale. Google estimates and average speed of just a fracton over 60kmh on this section and if you got behind something going more slowly then there is little opportunity for overtaking. They should keep the N2 project moving along, given the importance of road connections to the north-west and to keep the pressure on for improvement on the A5. The current back pedalling is unfortunate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

Have a look here at update.

It will take major work to be underway before I get too excited on this road project I am sorry to say. 2007 is when I started following this and this post I started dates back to 2009.

My views are my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ballyargus

the whole corridor needed a proper motorway. I go from Greystones to Derry. These days it is more viable to take the M1 to Belfast and then go by motor via Glenshane onto the new dual carriageway than it is to go via the M1, Ardee, Omagh etc.

These new plans will benefit Western northern Ireland and some of Donegal but it seems very little very late

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭timmyntc

9 Feb 2024: With Stormont back up and running this week after two years, a lot of attention has returned to this scheme with Sinn Féin in particular explicitly naming it as a priority. One of the first things the new DFI Minister John O'Dowd will have to do is consider the report by the public inquiry inspector which DFI have had since Hallowe'en. It is likely that DFI civil servants have already completed much of their work in responding to the report, so it will be up to the Minister to make a decision about whether to proceed and, if so, how to respond to the Inspector's recommendations. In terms of funding, it has been obvious for some time that the scheme is now unaffordable for the Executive. However, for the past year there have been hints that Dublin is going to step in and fund at least some of the shortfall. Dublin likely did not want to make any move on this without an Assembly and perhaps still does not want to do so ahead of the publication of the Minister's decision on the public inquiry, so as not to be accused of ignoring due process. However, there are strong hints now that this is what is going to happen. According to the Derry Journal Paschal Donohoe (the Irish Minister for Public Expenditure, National Development Plan Delivery and Reform) was asked about the A5 scheme. He replied that "The Government continues to remain committed to the development of the A5 project... the Government will shortly be considering proposals we can make that will support the really positive news regarding the reconstitution of the Good Friday institutions... We will look at how we can continue to support the development of an all-island economy to the particular benefit of the communities the Deputy just referenced. I expect there will be further progress on that soon."

Taken from Wesley Johnston's fantastic website http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/a5omaghstrabane.html

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has stated that he intends to bring a proposal to Cabinet next week recommending an increase in the Irish Government contribution to the cost of the A5 upgrade to a dual carriageway.

Still a big question mark over the project given the latest price projections - can NI fund half the project?

They should. On any project a third of the spend comes back in as tax, on this project almost all the tax will end up with the UK exchequer, so the the Irish government fund a substantial part of it then it become a bit of a no brainer. That said, it isn't clear that there is a brain in NI planning.

There is also the spectre of the Alternative A5 alliance (which basically equates to use the existing A5 and sod the deaths). They are an incredibly effective anti-road group, that really make the Maryborough Hill protestors on the M28 in Cork look like amateurs.

They're well organised, but if there had been a functioning government, the group would have had their meetings with a minister, talked through matters, and a deal would have been done where they got to have their pet project supported in the Assembly in exchange for dropping their opposition to this road.

Protest groups want to be listened to by people with the power to change things, and until a few weeks ago, NI had none of those. Now that there is an Executive, I think there will be progress in addressing their concerns.

(I'm not saying their concerns as stated are valid, but their actual complaint, the one they never mention, of "you're spending over a billion on this road and nothing on us", that complaint can be helped)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

I don't think this particular group has any desire beyond preventing the A5 upgrade, for whatever their reasons.

They definitely want something. All of these groups do. The question is only whether it's something that can be given to them or not.

Sure, there will be always be a hard core who will refuse everything, but they will have dragged along a larger number of people who see this as a way of getting something for their own communities. Satisfy those people, and the zealots have no support.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I have reservations about us helping to fund this. It is the responsibility of the UK to fund and provide infrastructure in the north. We are talking nearly half a billion euros.

Most still support the union apparently so let the UK government pay for it and provide the services there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,976 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It will someday be a road in a united Ireland, so its in the interest for Ireland to pay a part of it now, rather than all the cost of doing it later.

The problem with that kind of position is that there is actually no cost-benefit justification for NIRS to upgrade A5 south of Aughnacloy, as it goes "nowhere" (except into a foreign country). Isolationism cuts both ways.

I'm no United-Irelander, but I am pragmatic. We have a problem where an important route between two parts of our country is deficient because the other country that it goes throgh won't upgrade their section of it. The solution is to give them money towards doing what we need, even if it ends up paying for stuff that's in a different country.

... and we're not paying half of this. Not by a long way. We'll pay about 25% max of the total.

With Eamonn Ryan delaying and blocking everything at the moment in the Republic roads wise, it makes sense to use a different channel to plough that money into roads in Ireland that will benefit Ireland - north and south.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I don't at all mean to take this thread off in another direction, but just to be precise. The ring leader of that M28 protest group was actually a resident of Mount Oval, very few on Maryborough Hill were anti M28. Most of those objecting were residents of Mount Oval ( or to be more precise Mount Hovel )

Still find it bizarre that on a corridor that lies both in the Republic and Northern Ireland, with significant upgrades required on stretches on both sides of the border, that the Government is ploughing 400m into upgrades in a different jurisdiction while the Minister for Transport is performing hatchet jobs on the stretches in our own jurisdiction. One of said stretches happens to be one of the worst stretches of road on the national primary network for serious and fatal head on collisions yet has an allocation for 2024 of €0.

Am I right in thinking the Minister for Transport has no say on the allocation of money to NI part of the project?

It's purely an exchequer matter to us, so is allocated only by Min for Expenditure

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Pale Red

Any isolationist tendencies did not prevent road building south of Newry to join M1 in south. As an aside, I learned to my cost that the M1 from Belfast does not link to the M1 in the south.

Indeed. It's part of a broader funding package that includes funding for Casement Park, the Narrow Water Bridge and other items.

Advertisement