Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Atari Ardfinnan

• 24-05-2015 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭

Having just watched a documentary about how Atari buried thousands of video games (and essentially the company itself) in the New Mexico desert, I was reminded that Atari was also an Irish story, and more particularly a Tipperary story.

Atari opened a plant in Ardfinnan in 1974, and later a larger plant in Tipp town in 1978. They both manufactured arcade game machines, and I remember they were a reliable location for co-op jobs when I was in NIHE Limerick in the late 1970's.

ATARI built a huge factory in Dooradoyle in Limerick but never really got going there and it eventually became Dell's first Irish manufacturing location.

The Ardfinnan factory closed in 1989, later became the Moy Isover plant and is currently closed.

BTW
    One of Atari's employees in California formed his own company with a colleague to make a personal computer, one of the main specifications being that it had a colour screen so that it could also play Breakout, a game they had designed for Atari.Their names were Steve Jobs and Bill Wozniak.

Comments

cml387 wrote: »
    Having just watched a documentary about how Atari buried thousands of video games (and essentially the company itself) in the New Mexico desert, I was reminded that Atari was also an Irish story, and more particularly a Tipperary story.

Atari opened a plant in Ardfinnan in 1974, and later a larger plant in Tipp town in 1978. They both manufactured arcade game machines, and I remember they were a reliable location for co-op jobs when I was in NIHE Limerick in the late 1970's.

ATARI built a huge factory in Dooradoyle in Limerick but never really got going there and it eventually became Dell's first Irish manufacturing location.

The Ardfinnan factory closed in 1989, later became the Moy Isover plant and is currently closed.

BTW
    One of Atari's employees in California formed his own company with a colleague to make a personal computer, one of the main specifications being that it had a colour screen so that it could also play Breakout, a game they had designed for Atari.Their names were Steve Jobs and Bill Wozniak.

I remember seeing an Atari plant one time back when i was 11 or 12 on a trip somewhere alright but couldnt remember if it was in Bansha en route to Limerick or Ardfinnan en route to Cork. And now you tells me they also had one in Tipp town so i must have seen both of them and mistook the tipp town one for bansha

Thanks for this little trip down memory lane :)

Here's another article about namcos takeover in 1996

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/namco-buys-tipperary-atari-plant-1.97177

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Discussing this with some pals at work, game destruction was a feature of the Limerick plant as well. They laid all the unwanted cartridges out in the carpark and got a roadroller to run over them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

I remember seeing an Atari plant one time back when i was 11 or 12 on a trip somewhere alright but couldnt remember if it was in Bansha en route to Limerick or Ardfinnan en route to Cork. And now you tells me they also had one in Tipp town so i must have seen both of them and mistook the tipp town one for bansha

Thanks for this little trip down memory lane :)

I think the one in Tipp town was off the main routes, so it's likely you saw the one in Ardfinnan.

I think the one in Tipp town was off the main routes, so it's likely you saw the one in Ardfinnan.

Another thread about it here

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057379666/1/#post94265128

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

The one in Tipp Town was just off the N24 coming into Tipp from the Waterford side..

Advertisement