Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shy

• 12-06-2012 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

finally..ive heard them around me for years whilst out walking in our local hills and woodland..ive sat with binos and scanned the trees hoping to get a glimpse of these noisy elusive birds but nothing.until last night just caught the little blighter flying across a gap...i cant believe it...after all this time...im over the moon..i spotted my first jay!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

There are a few in the woods at the driveway glenview hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Maudi wrote: »
    finally..ive heard them around me for years whilst out walking in our local hills and woodland..ive sat with binos and scanned the trees hoping to get a glimpse of these noisy elusive birds but nothing.until last night just caught the little blighter flying across a gap...i cant believe it...after all this time...im over the moon..i spotted my first jay!

They are amazingly hard to see in Ireland. In a lifetime, I have only seen them 4 times here (all in Phoenix Park in either the Furry Glen or by the US ambassador's residence). I lived in Germany for a while and you might see them 4 times in one week. They are very cool birds to see; well done!

Des

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Desmo wrote: »
    Maudi wrote: »

They are amazingly hard to see in Ireland. In a lifetime, I have only seen them 4 times here (all in Phoenix Park in either the Furry Glen or by the US ambassador's residence). I lived in Germany for a while and you might see them 4 times in one week. They are very cool birds to see; well done!

Des
    thanks i was well pleased! and you are right nortoriously hard to see...i heard them in one particular small wood last year every evening..and ended up sitting with tripod and binos dertermined to spot them...never did..i could pinpoint almost to a tree where they were but for the whole summer after work...nothing...till now...someone told me they hug the trunk of trees..thats why they is so hard to spot..now for my next obsessive compulseive project....

Advertisement