Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1k General purpose laptop

Options
  • 29-06-2015 8:40pm

I'm looking to buy something that will last me a while, with a big screen. Liking this mostly for the processor (not many i7-4720HQ at this price) and the screen size, though I realise the resolution is a bit substandard, and I read that the build isn't the best:
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/toshiba-l70b150-173-laptop-silver/326094/396.0.0

Can anyone suggest a better machine in the same sort of budget? Usage: daily web dev main machine, music & video production, occasional gaming. Happy to go AMD, or buy abroad, if it makes sense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I'm looking to buy something that will last me a while, with a big screen. Liking this mostly for the processor (not many i7-4720HQ at this price) and the screen size, though I realise the resolution is a bit substandard, and I read that the build isn't the best:
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/toshiba-l70b150-173-laptop-silver/326094/396.0.0

Can anyone suggest a better machine in the same sort of budget? Usage: daily web dev main machine, music & video production, occasional gaming. Happy to go AMD, or buy abroad, if it makes sense.

I'd falter at the screen resolution given the price. I run FLStudio at 1920 x 1080 and it's till a struggle to have an organised space if you have the mixer, arrangement window and a few plugins open. Looks like a lot of bloatware on that machine as well. Have you looked at any Dell options? The Studio series are usually pretty vesatile

@mordeith Thanks for the input. Can you suggest a specific Dell model in the same budget?

I use FL Studio as one of my DAWs and I know what you mean - it takes up a lot of real estate. The new vector interface works pretty good on my old Vista machine, although I have a dual monitor setup there. Using Reaper, resolution is less important. I also have Sonar S3 - but only use that for MIDI file playback.

That said, this machine will spend most of its life as a web dev machine. It will probably be linked to an external screen via HDMI in the office (can graphics chipset do better resolution?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

@mordeith Thanks for the input. Can you suggest a specific Dell model in the same budget?

I use FL Studio as one of my DAWs and I know what you mean - it takes up a lot of real estate. The new vector interface works pretty good on my old Vista machine, although I have a dual monitor setup there. Using Reaper, resolution is less important. I also have Sonar S3 - but only use that for MIDI file playback.

That said, this machine will spend most of its life as a web dev machine. It will probably be linked to an external screen via HDMI in the office (can graphics chipset do better resolution?)

These models all come with FHD and plenty of RAM
    http://www.dell.com/ie/business/p/inspiron-laptops.aspx?c=ie&cs=iebsdt1&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=mn#!facets=111726~0~1780116,111726~0~1780115,213169~0~3086418&p=1

You are compromising on the CPU though.

Thanks. I figure I can address FHD with an external monitor, when required, and I can always upgrade the RAM if needed. The processor is not upgradable and the 5500U in the Dells is a lot slower.

Advertisement