Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone import chinese carbon bike lately?

• 29-10-2014 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im thinking of importing one of the Chinese carbon frames, and I just want to see if anyone from here imported one lately and what were the customs fees?

I know people talked about anti-dumping charges, but I believe this applied more to traders importing in quantities.

I'd like to hear some first hand info rather then guestimations on what people paid on duty/vat and if you paid??

Best regards,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Anyone?

So there's nobody here that imported a chinese bike?:roll eyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lumen wrote: »

Thanks, I saw this thread , came up in the search. Still not a definitive answer to it.

It's such a grey area with this taxes, its unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Imported a set of wheels 2 weeks ago from Far Sports. Order to shipping time took 2 weeks (quicker than advertised), 5-6 days shipping, delivered by courier and in my case no charges. I had set aside another €100 for duties but it wasn't needed.

Very happy with the wheels quality is good but will get Dara in Bee Bikes to have a proper look over the winter.

No idea on the frames and what the possible charges could be. I have seen a couple of import frames and the quality varied a good bit which will depend on the supplier.

Best of luck

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Nobody will be able to give you a definitive answer.

What is certain is that you are liable for customs duties, VAT and anti-dumping duties.

What is uncertain is whether your consignment will be charged for all of the above. By their own admission, customs can't inspect every package coming into the country. And, the application of anti-dumping appears to be inconsistent. Some people get hit with it, some don't.

If it were me, I'd budget for the maximum amount and regard it as a saving if they don't charge me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

del_boy13 wrote: »
    Imported a set of wheels 2 weeks ago from Far Sports. Order to shipping time took 2 weeks (quicker than advertised), 5-6 days shipping, delivered by courier and in my case no charges. I had set aside another €100 for duties but it wasn't needed.

Very happy with the wheels quality is good but will get Dara in Bee Bikes to have a proper look over the winter.

No idea on the frames and what the possible charges could be. I have seen a couple of import frames and the quality varied a good bit which will depend on the supplier.

Best of luck

Any more info? Links, pics, price, style etc etc. A PM would work if you dont want to put them on the OPs thread.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I imported a frame early last year ... wasn't hit for any custom fees or anti-dump taxes ....
    I did set aside a sum of money just in case but wasn't needed... i assume i just got lucky and as Oscar says customs can't inspect every package.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

@theBlaaMan got my wheels from Far Sports who have very good reviews online from any number of cycling sites. Went with these in the 38mm rim. Shipping is extra with this site so bear that in mind as some sites include free shipping. Very similar to the wheels reviewed on Road.cc but slightly heavier.

Only had one quick 30k spin so far. I had a pair of Open Pro rims on Ultegra hubs that are well built and reliable but not very light and not very aero. Differences on the previous wheels were

1. Weight noticeably lighter (didn't weigh them but definite difference)
    2. Get up to speed quickly no extra effort, once above the 30 kph mark they feel easier.
    3. Did a loop and had a strong headwind coming back and they were definitely quicker in those conditions.
    4. On the little short hills in NCD they felt great immediate response from out of the saddle and this was the biggest improvement for me. Really noticed it and loved that immediate response feeling.
    5. They came without the stickers on so I left them off and the bike looks great with them on and without the stickers. I'll stick a picture up at some point.
    6. On good surfaces they feel great and even on some of the buzzy tarmac in NCD they felt solid and maybe a little bit less feedback than the open pros (I'll have to check this again). On crappy surfaces the stiffness is a pain and you get bounced all over the place, not pleasant and not surprising.
    7. They come with FSA break pads for the carbon rims and there is a difference in feel when braking. It feels a bit grabbier and in the dry its fine but not sure if I'd risk them on hills in the wet.

Very happy so far. Hope the above helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

Xpro wrote: »
    Anyone?

So there's nobody here that imported a chinese bike?:roll eyes:

Haven't imported a frame but recently bought a pair of 50mm carbon clinchers from ebay/china. Valued at €300, incl shipping.

Customs charged €90 for them.

I ordered the frame , all the fees, dutys, accounted for, so will see what happens.
    Spend a good bit of time looking for the right frame/factory, that many to choose, but this one came out on top with 1000's of miles covered, 1000's of positive reviews, so I hope it will be all good.

Ultra High Modulus Torayca 1000-Mitsubishi 60T Carbon Di2 Compatible Frame only 800grams
    I will update when the frame arrives:cool:

2hs2dl1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

I ordered the frame , all the fees, dutys, accounted for, so will see what happens.
    Spend a good bit of time looking for the right frame/factory, that many to choose, but this one came out on top with 1000's of miles covered, 1000's of positive reviews, so I hope it will be all good.

Ultra High Modulus Torayca 1000-Mitsubishi 60T Carbon Di2 Compatible Frame only 800grams
    I will update when the frame arrives:cool:

Where did you order from?

12 element wrote: »
    Where did you order from?

HongFu Bikes China

Just an update to my Chinese frame import.

Bike arrived, it took less then a week to arrive from China, which is excellent. Had some small delay with customs which was expectable.

The frame looks and appears to be of a high quality. It definitely looks much better then a Branded carbon entry level frames that I have seen for sale for much much more.

The quality is excellent, no rough edges, everything is a direct fit,very well finished frame.( The part I was most worried about)

Still to finish it off, have all the components here,Ultegra6800 groupset, inc Mavic Cosmic Carbones.

Will post some pics when all is done:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

How much did it cost in the end once it cleared customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Nice video of what can happen with these frames: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=756527174424965

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Nice video of what can happen with these frames: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=756527174424965

Posted by a bike shop !

No details about the frame, or from whom the frame was bought.

Anything could have happened to that frame prior to this video.

Dont get me wrong there are bad chinese frames out there.
    This one is definitely one of them.

Any more info on this frame would be of great benefit to anyone thinking of getting a frame from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I'd be wary of Pinarello frames that cost €200, that sort of thing is very dodgy. On the other hand, there are some pretty good Chinese name frames out there-I think someone mentioned Hongfu. The other thing to remember is that most carbon frames are manufactured in China anyway, so you would think there would certainly be enough expertise in terms of frame assembly to make something decent. The big issue would be quality control.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Rua_ri wrote: »
    Posted by a bike shop !

No details about the frame, or from whom the frame was bought.

why would the shop tell you where the bad places are? so that you know where the good ones are? correctly, the only shop they care about you thinking is good is themselves, so they're not going to help people filter out the poor sources. whats the benefit for them?

the fact that it was posted by a bike shop doesn't diminish it in the slightest.

a boards poster i know had a set of chinese wheels disinetegrate on him on a local hill, it's detailed in his log on here, so it isn't one of these well I've heard of a guy who it happened to. much as people want a bargain, a lot of the Chinese stuff is pure rubbish. it's for everyone to decide if the saving justifies the risk. that said, lots of happy customers out there too.

at least you don't get as many people claiming that the frames are excess branded frames that came off the same production lines after hours. wishful thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

mossym wrote: »
    why would the shop tell you where the bad places are? so that you know where the good ones are? correctly, the only shop they care about you thinking is good is themselves, so they're not going to help people filter out the poor sources. whats the benefit for them?

the fact that it was posted by a bike shop doesn't diminish it in the slightest.
    I wasn’t inferring that the bike shop should filter the good from the bad of Chinese manufactures and i will admit that is in every bike shops interest to undermine Chinese frames, unless of course the bike shop sells Chinese frames.

What i was inferring is that if someone posts a random video of a busted carbon bike, then in the interests of anyone contemplating buying one they could add more information to inform potential buyers before they purchase.
    How do we know that this frame was even from China?

Sorry to here about the wheel disintegration, again a link to that issue would be helpful to people who may be thinking of buying unbranded carbon wheels online.

While we are posting info on busted carbon frames, here is some more random busted carbon frames from the internet.
    www.bustedcarbon.com

Buyer beware.

Sorry I don't want to turn this into Chinese bikes VS Brand bikes, but heres my say:

Theres cheap and budget chinese frames and then theres good frames.
    So far from browsing the net and various bike forums, Im yet to come across a major Hongfu-Dengfu frame failure, So I'm not worried about some bike shop posting a video of a flex in the frame.

There have been some great results with those frames and thats good news.

Check out UAM cycling team ( CKT Bikes) in spain. Manufactured by Hong fu for the team.

FYI: also just google Broken Carbon Frame and you will find the majority of the photos are of Treks, Specialized, Giants and the likes, and only a few are of the generic chinese frames.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,983 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

FYI: also just google Broken Carbon Frame and you will find the majority of the photos are of Treks, Specialized, Giants and the likes, and only a few are of the generic chinese frames.
    how many generic chinese frames are out there though, compared to trek, specialized and giant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I have 2 pairs of tubular carbon rims from China, wheels were built up here and have had no issues - 1st set was used for a cyclocross season by my husband, then on the road and I have been using them for cyclocross this year.

Admittedly some of the stuff from China isn't great quality, but have seen high end carbon frames and wheels fail too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You've achieved this:
    Sorry I don't want to turn this into Chinese bikes VS Brand bikes

By saying this:

Result:
    how many generic chinese frames are out there though, compared to trek, specialized and giant?

Now roll out impending arguements. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing pics op.

Thats true, but it goes show you that theres no point in pointing the finger, when carbon failures can occur irrespective of brand.

After all, nowadays all the carbon stuff is made in China. Some is good, some is bad.

Happy cycling!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

At least you get a proper warranty with a proper brand. Can't imagine you get much comeback on a cheap chinese import should anything go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 slowmoving

Thats true, but it goes show you that theres no point in pointing the finger, when carbon failures can occur irrespective of brand.

After all, nowadays all the carbon stuff is made in China. Some is good, some is bad.

Happy cycling!

Nowadays the vast majority of carbon bikes are still NOT made in China nor ever were.
    A lot of brands do have their frames manufactured in Asia but there is still a lot that manufacture in Europe, for those who like to stay relatively local like myself 😀.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Beasty wrote: »
    At least you get a proper warranty with a proper brand. Can't imagine you get much comeback on a cheap chinese import should anything go wrong

Agreed. My branded carbon frame cracked, i sent it back to them, they sent me back a new frame. That won't happen with a 'no-brand' bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

mal1 wrote: »
    Agreed. My branded carbon frame cracked, i sent it back to them, they sent me back a new frame. That won't happen with a 'no-brand' bike.

The no brand frames are a lot cheaper, a y€500 frame is a lot easier to replace than a €2000 one for some of us, so people may not care about warranty.

My big brand road bike set me back a few bob and the frame was made in Taiwan. It's the best bike I've ever ridden. The S-Works version was just too pricey and probably overkill for my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

mal1 wrote: »

What kind of premium did you pay for the service? Might it have been as chesp to buy 2 carbon frames for China?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

slowmoving wrote: »
    ... there is still a lot that manufacture in Europe, for those who like to stay relatively local like myself.
    Do you have a last of mfrs who make carbon frames in Europe? I thought that had pretty much died out.

Advertisement