Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throwers and throws coaching

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭longjump67

Fellan Mc Guigan smashed the U-16 Hammer Record today at the AAI JUvenile Champs in Tullamore 70.74m. All his legal throws were better than the old record.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

longjump67 wrote: »
    Fellan Mc Guigan smashed the U-16 Hammer Record today at the AAI JUvenile Champs in Tullamore 70.74m. All his legal throws were better than the old record.;)

Great throwing, impressive to see.
    Similar with Marco Pons on Sat, broke the old u19 discus record with his first throw and then took the record to an impressive 55m and all legal throws over old record.

A number of other CBP in the 2 days, boys u12 James Kelly of Finn Valley, James is the younger brother of John who is no stranger to setting throwing records.
    Girls u12 also new CBP.

Not a record but an impress throw of over 13.50m in the u14 girls shot, some decent discus throwing as well in some ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

This is brilliant to hear about. You don't want to put pressure on these young athletes but the future suddenly looks rosier.

yes the standard seems to be improving, my own girl medalled in the Javelin with a 24m+ throw not bad for an 11 year old:D. 21m won the same event last year.

yes the standard seems to be improving, my own girl medalled in the Javelin with a 24m+ throw not bad for an 11 year old:D. 21m won the same event last year.

Time that Anita Fitzgibbon was knocked off her perch :)

• Advertisement

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Time that Anita Fitzgibbon was knocked off her perch :)
    ??? sorry who is Anita Fitzgibbon:confused:

??? sorry who is Anita Fitzgibbon:confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oQ-Nmrll-0

Oh have actually seen her throw at the AAI games.
    Sorry for my ignoranance only new to the throwing game, I'm a long jump coach by choice but have gotten into the throws by association because of my daughter.
    Think my girl has a way to go yet to reach that standard.
    She was dissappointed with her throw on Sunday as she had been throwing 26-27m in training that week, but think the nerves got the better of her, but over it now, thats the thing about it at that age they don't analyise things for too long and get over it quickly, thank God.:D

Team announced for European Juniors and throwers well represented!
    3 male hammer throwers, 1 female hammer thrower and 1 male discus thrower.

Absolutely delighted for the 5 involved and I know they will do themselves and Ireland proud!

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=20198

A couple of noteable performances in the throws at the Schools international over the weekend.
    Jagger throw over 16.15m in the Shot to win Bronze and Kelly 15.03m.
    I believe that is BP's for both with the 5kg.
    Hanlon won Bronze in the discus by just 3cm with a throw of 42m
    Moffit won Bronze in the hammer with a throw of 57.62m
    Whelan placed 4th in the Javelin, just 10cm outside the medals.

No medals in the girls throwing.
    Parkinson 4th in Discus, McSweeney 4th in Shot, Akers 4th in Hammer, Burns 5th in Javelin.

looking at last years International results it seems the standard in the girls throwing is on the rise in general in these islands..
    those 4th place performances would all have been medal winning performances last year.

RoyMcC should be happy to see Duquemin winning the discus comfortably.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/schools-international-field.pdf

• Advertisement

RoyMcC should be happy to see Duquemin winning the discus comfortably.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that :) A nice series. Big brother Zane also picked up medals over the weekend in both shot and discus at the England senior championships.

He used to compete here for a club called West Waterford.

When I saw the results from recent Munster Championships, I noticed the name Rocket from West Waterford winning the Boys U14 hammer and discus.
    I assume he's related.

Donnie's boy, Josh. Turned up today for a pole vault taster wearing a Woodies T-shirt! Seems a talented all-round athlete and a nice lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

Looking through a book of Olympic results this morning, I noticed an event in the 1912 Olympics called the "Two handed javelin" which was won with a throw of 109m. Now, I know very little about throwing so had to look it up as I couldn't quite visualise someone throwing a javelin with 2 hands.

The men's two handed javelin throw was a track and field athletics event held as part of the Athletics at the 1912 Summer Olympics programme. It was the only appearance of the event at the Olympics, along with the other two handed throws. The format of the event was such that each thrower threw the javelin three times with his right hand and three times with his left hand. The best distance with each hand was summed to give a total. The three finalists received three more throws with each hand. :)

notsofast wrote: »
    Looking through a book of Olympic results this morning, I noticed an event in the 1912 Olympics called the "Two handed javelin" which was won with a throw of 109m. Now, I know very little about throwing so had to look it up as I couldn't quite visualise someone throwing a javelin with 2 hands.

The men's two handed javelin throw was a track and field athletics event held as part of the Athletics at the 1912 Summer Olympics programme. It was the only appearance of the event at the Olympics, along with the other two handed throws. The format of the event was such that each thrower threw the javelin three times with his right hand and three times with his left hand. The best distance with each hand was summed to give a total. The three finalists received three more throws with each hand. :)

Brilliant, they should bring it back.

Martin_Sheridan.jpg

Here's Mayo man Martin Sheridan winning Olympic discus gold in London 1908 - the throw was off a raised pedestal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Here's Mayo man Martin Sheridan winning Olympic discus gold in London 2008 - the throw was off a raised pedestal.

No Wonder Bolt won by so much in Beijiing..... Everyone else was running in the real Olympics in London. Chinese propoganda at its finest claiming they were hosting the Olympics:p

Edited :o

Some decent throwing at the National Seniors.
    Men's hammer 70+ by McCullough was probably no surprise but impressive 3rd place by McCabe (59m) who is still a junior next year.

Claire Fitzgerald with 2 Golds (50+ in the Discus and 14+ in Shot) and 40+ in Jav for Silver had an impressive championships.

Tomas Rauktys had Gold in Discus (50m+) and Silver in Shot (16m+) and also Gold in the 56lb.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/senior-results.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

So, the Worlds coming up in a few days. . .Irish throwers are, sadly, absent, however the throws are bound to throw up a few epic competitions, not least the men's Shot Put, where Armstrong, Cantwell, Hoffa, Nelson, and Michnevich have been neck-and-neck all season. . .to put it in context, none of the 5's 2nd best throws this season would beat any of the others' best throws. . .

And the womens shot. Vili vs Ostapchuk. Should be epic.

What about the Javelin? Can anyone trump Thorkildson when he's on form. . .can anybody dent Harting's discus hopes. . .and can Goldie Sayers take an unexpected Javelin medal for Britain?

Just in case you missed it, Crusaders Phil Conway recently set a new World M60 mark for shot, 12.60m, at the All-Ireland Masters in Tullamore.

Phil represented Ireland at the 1972 Munich Olympics and has since done great work in coaching the throws events in Ireland.

Just in case you missed it, Crusaders Phil Conway recently set a new World M60 mark for shot, 12.60m, at the All-Ireland Masters in Tullamore.

Phil represented Ireland at the 1972 Munich Olympics and has since done great work in coaching the throws events in Ireland.

Yeah he had a massive throw in the last round i think it was, Phil has indeed done some great work in both coaching and as an official, well done Phil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

I was on a training session by him before in Santry I think.

Finn Valleys Dempsey Mc Gugian finnishes the season off with a 66.85m throw in Germany today.
    This young athlete is still a junior next year and with the likes of young Mc Cabe also throwing well, we could see the first junior to throw over 70m for the 6kg Hammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Search for Footage of Ireland's Golden era of Hammer Throw beginning for an exhibit:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/olympian-task-hunt-to-find-hitlers-films-of-irish-hammer-throwers-secret-178832.html

Would be great if they unearthed this footage

ecoli wrote: »
    Search for Footage of Ireland's Golden era of Hammer Throw beginning for an exhibit:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/olympian-task-hunt-to-find-hitlers-films-of-irish-hammer-throwers-secret-178832.html

Would be great if they unearthed this footage

Indeed, great on several levels. It's such a technical event that it would be intriguing to see how a 1936 throw would differ. I can't imagine O'Callaghan could have the foot speed of today's operators for example.

Sad how Irish/Irish-Americans were at the forefront of the heavy throws only to sink without trace in modern times. Maybe there's a little revival going on though.

How many throwers do you reckon Ireland will have in the World Juniors this year?

How many throwers in the world juniors this year?

interesting....

I don't see any females making it

might not be too many males either.....a few in with a shout...
    Pons (Discus), McGuigan and McCabe (Hammer) and Martin & Oosthuysen (Javelin)

thats all I can think of at the moment..

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Javelin thrower here. Training away the whole time now so Crawford better watch out :D

Javelin thrower here. Training away the whole time now so Crawford better watch out :D

Good man, a rare breed in these parts. Which club? Who coaches you?

Which Crawford? Damien or Aaron.

• Advertisement

How many throwers in the world juniors this year?

interesting....

I don't see any females making it

might not be too many males either.....a few in with a shout...
    Pons (Discus), McGuigan and McCabe (Hammer) and Martin & Oosthuysen (Javelin)

thats all I can think of at the moment..

Think you're right, Pons, Mc Guigan & Mc Cabe. Think the Javelin throwers could find it though to get through.

Advertisement