Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV set with DVB-T2 and DVB-S2

• 08-01-2012 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Just wondering if there is any such thing as a combo HD TV set with both DVB-T2 and DVB-S2?? If so please post model name and mumber with source and price.
    I know a lot of people who are expecting a lot more from Saorview than what is available and get a bit annoyed when I tell them they can get free sat channels with a set top box... they wonder why they got the new tv in the first place. (these are people out of the freeview overspill area, or dont want to erect a new aerial for wales and some would have existing dishes.)
    A combo TV set would be great for these people... well for everyone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Not sure such a thing exists.
    There are Freesat/Freeview (not T2 though) but they are older models, probably discontinued by now - check out Panasonic and Sony

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

excollier wrote: »
    Not sure such a thing exists.
    There are Freesat/Freeview (not T2 though) but they are older models, probably discontinued by now - check out Panasonic and Sony

Panasonic GT20 series have both tuners as well as high end Samsung 3D TV's but they're expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

There are plenty of UK Satellite and Irish DTT (Saorview) TVs with the integrated tuners out there. They wont have Freesat 7 epg facility on satellite (just now next) and they aren't Saorview approved, but they would display the stations etc, similar to what a HD combo box would do.

Philips XXpfl7655k_02
    Philips XXpfl7606k 3d LED TV

Samsung UeXXd5700 LED TV
    Samsung UeXXd6200 LED TV
    Samsung UeXXd6500 LED TV
    Samsung Ue46d6510 LED TV
    Samsung UeXXd7090 LED TV

Sony Kdl XXex525baep LED TV

LG XXlv375s LCD TV

(the XX is the screen size, in many cases they start at 32" - the Sonys have a 26")

By the way you do know a combo box like the Ferguson is less than a €100. The combo TVs are expensive. It would seem to me to be cheaper to just add a combo box to cheaper LCDs........

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭joceadaigh

STB wrote: »
    By the way you do know a combo box like the Ferguson is less than a €100. The combo TVs are expensive. It would seem to me to be cheaper to just add a combo box to cheaper LCDs........

Ye I was thinking there may be some cheaper models out there that may have these features but not many people know about. Its hard to find full specs on the samsung website.

Anyway, for the prices I see for the model already listed I'll be advising combo stbs instead. Its just a lot of people have it in their head they need to change their tv for saorview. Its hard to convince them otherwise. And of course they want everything saorview approved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The combo TVs are niche market rip offs. It costs them maybe €20 extra.

You can buy a 42" Saorview set and Humax Freesat HD PVR and still have change in some cases.

Note there are no properly compatible with Saorview and especially not with "Freesat HD" Combo boxes yet. Unless you have a Sky Sub, you can't beat a UK "Freesat+ HD" PVR for UK TV. Also that is were most of the channels are on. In reality Saorview has effectively four & half channels, RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4 and 3e, the RTE News news now is just repeats of main RTE and the other channel is mix of RTEjr and RTE1+1, i.e. Repeats.

watty wrote: »
    I can see that from the prices i've found on the above listed... :mad:
    You can buy a 42" Saorview set and Humax Freesat HD PVR and still have change in some cases.
    I was hoping to a solution that would let older, or just less tech savy people have all the stations on one remote.

I've always hoped that we'd be able to get reliable freeview from wales here and not bother with distributing the satellite throughout the house, but neighbours trees are blocking Arfon transmitter, and the other main transmitters are a no-go if the post here on boards are anything to go by.
    Haing to tell my dad what control he needs to watch whatever channel every day gets tirering... and what about others who dont have 4 grown-up lads to tell them. And trying to explain how to record is another story... I'm not looking forward to the forthcomming olympics when he'll want to record from satellite and terrestrial at the same time. :eek:
    Of course its a piece of p*** for most people here...
    Note there are no properly compatible with Saorview and especially not with "Freesat HD" Combo boxes yet. Unless you have a Sky Sub, you can't beat a UK "Freesat+ HD" PVR for UK TV. Also that is were most of the channels are on. In reality Saorview has effectively four & half channels, RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4 and 3e, the RTE News news now is just repeats of main RTE and the other channel is mix of RTEjr and RTE1+1, i.e. Repeats.
    I think this whole digital swtichover was a huge lost opertunity for RTE and Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Rick_

Finne1993 wrote: »
    That link has text at the top of the article saying "This TV will not work with digital signals in the Republic of Ireland, you will require a digital set top box or satellite source"

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5299342/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/2|14419512|Televisions|14419667/c_3/3|cat_14419667|LED+TVs|16180235.htm

This one doesn't, so I presume that it will work with Saorview, and is a damn good bit cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

joceadaigh wrote: »
    I can see that from the prices i've found on the above listed... :mad:

I was hoping to a solution that would let older, or just less tech savy people have all the stations on one remote.

I've always hoped that we'd be able to get reliable freeview from wales here and not bother with distributing the satellite throughout the house, but neighbours trees are blocking Arfon transmitter, and the other main transmitters are a no-go if the post here on boards are anything to go by.
    Haing to tell my dad what control he needs to watch whatever channel every day gets tirering... and what about others who dont have 4 grown-up lads to tell them. And trying to explain how to record is another story... I'm not looking forward to the forthcomming olympics when he'll want to record from satellite and terrestrial at the same time. :eek:

I think this whole digital swtichover was a huge lost opertunity for RTE and Government.

I got a saorview box, a freesat HD box and a harmony remote control for the folks. I set up two activities on the remote, "Watch Irish TV" and "Watch UK TV". They simply have to press one button or another and then it's just channel up/down for them and bob's yer uncle. They never used a guide before so they don't really care about it now. If they do want to use it it'll still be the same button on the remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

joceadaigh wrote: »

I had the same problem with my parents so I printed out the Freesat EPG from wikipedia on one A4 page. I then used a label printer to label all the remotes TV, DVD, Freesat and Saorview. I then wrote down how to switch between of each of them using the TV remote. I stuck the two sheets in a A4clear plastic sheet back to back so now they now can work the TV without having to keep asking me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭paulhardman

If anyone's interested, I picked up a Samsung UE46D8000 at the weekend for our lounge, beautiful telly. Specs say it has a DVB-T2 and -S2 tuner.

The interesting part is when you first plug it in, it asks you to select a country, UK or Ireland. If you select Ireland, it'll then do a network search on Air (Saorview) and Satellite, with selectable pre-programmed satellite channels built in. All the Saorview channels come in perfectly, along with all the FTA stuff available from 28.2E.

If you select UK, however, Freesat pops up as an option as well as Satellite... and magically it gives you the Freesat EPG as one option, and (UK)Freeview EPG on the Air setting. A quick renumbering of the Saorsat channels (which all appear in the 800s) and the TV now has full Freesat HD and Saorview... and a hard disc shoved in the back and it all records nicely.

Just thought you might like to know!

If anyone's interested, I picked up a Samsung UE46D8000 at the weekend for our lounge, beautiful telly. Specs say it has a DVB-T2 and -S2 tuner.

The interesting part is when you first plug it in, it asks you to select a country, UK or Ireland. If you select Ireland, it'll then do a network search on Air (Saorview) and Satellite, with selectable pre-programmed satellite channels built in. All the Saorview channels come in perfectly, along with all the FTA stuff available from 28.2E.

If you select UK, however, Freesat pops up as an option as well as Satellite... and magically it gives you the Freesat EPG as one option, and (UK)Freeview EPG on the Air setting. A quick renumbering of the Saorsat channels (which all appear in the 800s) and the TV now has full Freesat HD and Saorview... and a hard disc shoved in the back and it all records nicely.

Thanks Paul.

Yes that model is a "Freesat HD" model. It has been mentioned here previously, but they are quite expensive at €1500+.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

The current range of Freesat HD Panasonics work just fine as well and are considerably cheaper than some other makes. The correct audio option on TV3 & TG4 may have to be selected manually but this is the only issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭championc

If your budget can't stretch to high end Panny's, look in Amazon for a Panny G20B.

Sofar ME3000 Battery Storage Inverter for sale in Ballinteer, Sth. Dublin - see Adverts.ie - https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/solar-sofar-me3000-battery-storage-inverter/32914042 or PM me

recyclebin wrote: »
    I had the same problem with my parents so I printed out the Freesat EPG from wikipedia on one A4 page. I then used a label printer to label all the remotes TV, DVD, Freesat and Saorview. I then wrote down how to switch between of each of them using the TV remote. I stuck the two sheets in a A4clear plastic sheet back to back so now they now can work the TV without having to keep asking me.

I'd give it about 2hours before those instruction get "put in a safe place" and never seen again. I'd need to glue it to the coffee table.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Yeah, I've been trying to justify buying one for the past three months. Problem is my current TV, now 5 years old, cost a fortune and is still working (too) well.
    Good viewing. :)

NewHillel wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been trying to justify buying one for the past three months. Problem is my current TV, now 5 years old, cost a fortune and is still working (too) well.
    Good viewing. :)

Now that's a difficult choice alright. Panny always seem to launch their new TV range about now every year and so you should see last years' models now being heavily discounted (in the UK anyway).

However, it strikes me that the next best option in a TV is an embedded (Linux) PC rather than Internet Widgets so that's something to be holding off for. Having said that, it's very easy to get an old PC, load up Ubuntu and connect it to your TV and you have a full media server and lots of other possibilities.

Sofar ME3000 Battery Storage Inverter for sale in Ballinteer, Sth. Dublin - see Adverts.ie - https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/solar-sofar-me3000-battery-storage-inverter/32914042 or PM me

championc wrote: »

However, it strikes me that the next best option in a TV is an embedded (Linux) PC rather than Internet Widgets so that's something to be holding off for. Having said that, it's very easy to get an old PC, load up Ubuntu and connect it to your TV and you have a full media server and lots of other possibilities.

Ye it's something a young family might be interested in but for the less tech savy it wouldn't be a priority.

A less expensive version of that Samsung sounds like the solution.

Paddy C wrote: »
    That link has text at the top of the article saying "This TV will not work with digital signals in the Republic of Ireland, you will require a digital set top box or satellite source"

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5299342/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/2|14419512|Televisions|14419667/c_3/3|cat_14419667|LED+TVs|16180235.htm

This one doesn't, so I presume that it will work with Saorview, and is a damn good bit cheaper too.

Don't mind that, they're just obliged to put that note in as no Panasonic TVs are Saorview approved even though Saorview works fine on all of their latest models.

The OP wanted a TV with Freesat and Saorview, the TV you've linked to only has Freeview HD. Granted, its an awful lot cheaper but useless for UK channels unless you're near the border or on the South East Coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 moz1

Interested in one of these myself, could you tell me if series link is available on the freesat channels from the EPG?

• Advertisement

moz1 wrote: »
    Interested in one of these myself, could you tell me if series link is available on the freesat channels from the EPG?

Is Series Link not a Sky thing only ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I have a problem with the 7000, basically identical to the 8000 minus metallic surround and a few €
    Cant seem to have both DTT and Sat channels listed in same favourites or channel list. Have to switch between sources (in tools) Air or Sat. contacted Samsung and they say it is not possible.
    What you say seems to indicate otherwise, will have to play a bit more.

As for recording, USB keys wont work, needs a usb powered HDD min 5400rpm, 34mbs write.

A very pretty TV with a lot under the bonnet but not so sure about the Smart parts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Apogee

championc wrote: »
    Is Series Link not a Sky thing only ?

No, it's available in the UK on DTT (Freeview+) and additionally on satellite (Freesat+).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

wil wrote: »
    Cant seem to have both DTT and Sat channels listed in same favourites or channel list. Have to switch between sources (in tools) Air or Sat. contacted Samsung and they say it is not possible.
    What you say seems to indicate otherwise, will have to play a bit more.

I have a similar Sony DTT/Sat TV, two separate tuners therefore two separate channle lists. If you could receive Saorview and the UK terrestrial service Freeview (same tuner) it would be possible to have them in the one list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

watty wrote: »

Panasonic TXL42D25L
    have this and it was far from a rip off being a lot cheaper than other 42 inch models such as basic Sony with only 1 tuner etc at the time of purchase. Works with DVB-T and S getting me Saorview and Freesat

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Panasonic TXL42D25L
    have this and it was far from a rip off being a lot cheaper than other 42 inch models such as basic Sony with only 1 tuner etc at the time of purchase. Works with DVB-T and S getting me Saorview and Freesat
    The verb RIP OFF has 1 sense: 1. deprive somebody of something by deceit.
    Panasonic state the TX-L42D25L is an 'Ireland Model' (as per your link) but it is not totally suitable for receiving Ireland's digital terrestrial television (DTT) service. Feel deceived?

There is a reason why the Panasonic TX-L42D25L could never be Saorview approved. It is not equipped with MHEG5 middleware. You are therefore deprived of some aspects of the Saorview service.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

The verb RIP OFF has 1 sense: 1. deprive somebody of something by deceit.
    Panasonic state the TX-L42D25L is an 'Ireland Model' (as per your link) but it is not totally suitable for receiving Ireland's digital terrestrial television (DTT) service. Feel deceived?

There is a reason why the Panasonic TX-L42D25L could never be Saorview approved. It is not equipped with MHEG5 middleware. You are therefore deprived of some aspects of the Saorview service.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

The TV was never advertised or sold as Saorview compatible but yet it gets Saorview (bar the MHEG5) and it will do all I wanted it to do so therefore it is 'far from a rip off'

The phrase rip-off has a few explanations and the TV does not fall in to any of these for the price paid

rip-off (r p ôf , - f )
    n. Slang
    1. A product or service that is overpriced or of poor quality.
    2. Something, such as a film or story, that is clearly imitative of or based on something else.
    3. A theft.
    4. An act of exploitation.

Q.E.D

Regardless of all that there is number of reasons that non Saorview certified Panasonic products should not be pushed here.

Remember this is a thread about combo sat and dvb-t TVs. Panasonic have employed very strange interpretations of standards in their combo products so far, with incomplete firmware to diasble functionality outside the destined Country for DVB-T reception on combo products. This has been a valuable lesson for Irish people who have bought their products. Their support has been nothing short of dismissive to the Irish punter (there are countless threads - Panasonics support has been consistently - hard luck not meant for Ireland). They do not fix the problems.

In the case of the L model from late 2009/early 2010 there really is no excuse for not having MHEG5 included with the Irish profile in the software settings. Most manufacturers leave its use open (ie Samsung/Sony/LG). The min and basic spec has not changed since Feb 2008.

In the Panasonic products that have been hacked (because of the lack of easy firmware fixes) they still have problems with audio streams which require manual interaction everytime you change a channel.

Only a moron would suggest any model Panasonic for Saorview reception unless it is certified. Given that there never will be a Combo Freesat/Saorview certified product it would be a massive leap of faith to recommend one. Do not learn the hard way.

I dont sell TVs or work for any other manufacturer, I can only give you my and other peoples (bad) experiences of Panasonic suitability for non certified TVs.
    The TV was never advertised or sold as Saorview compatible but yet it gets Saorview (bar the MHEG5) and it will do all I wanted it to do so therefore it is 'far from a rip off'

The phrase rip-off has a few explanations and the TV does not fall in to any of these for the price paid

Forget about certification for a second.

The minimum standards for basic reception of Saorview were openly published in Feb 2008. The basics.... MPEG4 AVC and MHEG5 (per Uk profile).

How come these setting couldnt be employed in Panasonic sets released until 2011 when the country setup is Ireland ? After all these L models are "Irish" models. Suitability ? How come the other manufacturers could get it right ? Would a firmware release be too much to ask for or do the sales figures not merit it?

Posters here have been talking about the specs on this very site since 2008. Its not as if all the manufacturers havent known. Wherent Panasonic were chairing the CEDA group for long enough ? Basic compatability for Ireland in pan european shipped TVs must have been a low priority.

Hopefully their products in the future will allow more interoperability between the UK and Ireland..

Remember this is a thread about combo sat and dvb-t TVs.

My Panasonic TXL42D25L is such a TV - so not sure where you are going there as the OP asked for any TVs that had combo sat and dvb-t
    Only a moron would suggest any model Panasonic for Saorview reception unless it is certified. Given that there never will be a Combo Freesat/Saorview certified product it would be a massive leap of faith to recommend one. Do not learn the hard way.

I take offence to you suggesting this as I am far from a moron. My TV will get Saorview presently but I am fully aware it may not always get Saorview if something drastic changes in the future and I am not recommending the OP buys one tomorrow but I do reccommend Panasonic as the TV is top class in picture quality and feature set. I am offering advice on a TV that has a combo set of receivers that the OP originally asked about

If the OP wants to get a Panasonic then surely its up to them and a case of buyer beware

• Advertisement

My Panasonic TXL42D25L is such a TV - so not sure where you are going there as the OP asked for any TVs that had combo sat and dvb-t

I take offence to you suggesting this as I am far from a moron. My TV will get Saorview presently but I am fully aware it may not always get Saorview if something drastic changes in the future and I am not recommending the OP buys one tomorrow but I do reccommend Panasonic as the TV is top class in picture quality and feature set. I am offering advice on a TV that has a combo set of receivers that the OP originally asked about

If the OP wants to get a Panasonic then surely its up to them and a case of buyer beware

Its nothing personal !

Panasonic may well be top class in your mind, but their basic operation in Ireland has to be questioned if not certified given their previous form.

Feature set !!!! Dont you think that the basics should be available in your L model (MHEG5 ????) given they are advertised and MARKETED for Ireland by Panasonic!

Right tuners and right middleware are the basics. It is no good having high PQ if you have to connect a Saorview box because the manufacturer couldnt get the bloody basics right.

Look I only suggest you google Panasonic and boards.ie and you will understand my justification for only a "moron would recommend".....

And yes it is the reason why I didnt list ANY Panasonics in my original reply to the OP.

Advertisement