Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Got it

• 13-09-2014 2:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Why is every "OK" action now labelled "Got it" on websites / mobile apps? Must everything be Americanized?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Right on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Why is every "OK" action now labelled "Got it" on websites / mobile apps? Must everything be Americanized?
    You realise "OK" is itself of American origin?

And that Americanized is an Americanisation of Americanised?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I swear to god - if I hear someone saying "Reach out", once more, I'll cry.

I actually got an email a few weeks back, an Irish person, "I'm just reaching out ... etc"

Another one that's starting to annoy me is "beautiful"

"Hi, welcome to my corner of the Internet, I'm Jake and I make beautiful websites"

I could go on but I won't.

Or people who start sentences with either "so" or "umm"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

people who say 'guys ...' do my head in. I wouldnt say beautiful is an american phrase, or so or umm though. people say those things every day regardless

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

maccored wrote: »
    people who say 'guys ...' do my head in. I wouldnt say beautiful is an american phrase, or so or umm though. people say those things every day regardless

Well it's more when they begin their statement with "so" or "umm"

"So I was getting coffee in Starbucks* today"

or

"Umm, you do realise *the* best place to get coffee is Starbucks, don't you?"

*Starbucks mentioned because that's normally where you'll find these clowns. :D

Advertisement