Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using Ancestry.co.uk site.

• 04-08-2014 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I have two separate trees on Ancestry for my paternal and maternal sides. I was wondering is it possible to merge both in Ancestry to make one tree or would that look too messy?

My second question is, how do I create a new tree using a person in an existing tree so that I don't have to re-enter all that person's information again.

Now I'm wondering if they are both the same question? I am confusing myself here.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Funny that - I'm in the middle of amalgamating some of my trees too. I don't know of a way other than manually which is tedious work but I'm happy with the results. Also I've found a few mistakes and Ancestry has provided a few new hints which didn't appear the first time around.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks. Maybe I'll get some new hints too when I get down to all that entering again. I actually think there is some sort of merge facility on a person's profile. Will check it again later.

Hah, found it. When you go into a person's profile, on the right side beside 'print' is 'More Options', click the down arrow on the side of that and it says:

Add a note
    Save person to another tree
    Merge with duplicate

So does saving person to another tree bring all the person's details, and relatives with him/her? Anyone know? I'm just a bit scared of faffing it all up now.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Save person to another tree

How did I miss that before.:confused:

Genealogy Forum Mod

Scratch that - there needs to already be a matching person in the other tree so not really so useful for what I'm doing.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Looking at Family Tree Maker it looks like it can be done.

Ponster wrote: »
    Looking at Family Tree Maker it looks like it can be done.

Do you mean in Ancestry as well as FTM?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

No, I mean that if you have FTM then it appears that you can merge several Ancestry trees into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

When your using the merge function you can create the new person, when you select Save Person to Another Tree the box that opens on the bottom right you get the option to create a new person, when you do this it will give you the option of adding that persons family members too, as far as I know it only gives the option of adding family members that are dead though but from a certain generation back it will give you everyone...

Personally what I'd do is keep the individual trees and start a new one of the 2 of them merged using the copy to a new tree function, you'll have to add probably the first one or two generations yourself but then the rest will copy over as you work your way through each family, that way you can spot any mistakes along with possibly getting new hints too...

Another question on the Ancestry site please. When my sub is up I know I can still get access to my tree, but will I still be able to send and receive messages? I am in contact with a couple of people at the moment, will I have to drop the messaging and revert to emailing instead?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, messaging still works

Thank you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Actually, I thought messaging did not work.

I've had to resubscribe before to see new messages. Has it changed?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Actually, I thought messaging did not work.

I've had to resubscribe before to see new messages. Has it changed?

Must have, as I've received messages with no subscription for some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Without a sub, I think that you you can receive messages and you can reply to those but you cannot send a new message.

Advertisement