Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you think? BOI or PTSB?

• 29-06-2012 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

I would love to have your opinion, as I am looking into switching from Ulster Bank.

I have narrowed it down to between BOI and PTSB, but I have no previous experience with either one, so if you could give me some pros and cons that would be great.

I'll be opening a current account with debit card and an online savings account.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

hidden charges im closing my account

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

Thanks for responding. Would you mind explaining what kind of hidden charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

I've been banking with BOI for years. For my basic banking needs I've never had any problems, and to date I've never been hit with charges. BOI are up front about what you need to do to avail of free fees. There are hoops that you need to jump through to avoid paying them which is mildly annoying, but at least you can get free banking.

I have also banked with nearly all of the others and have found the service to be similar in most cases. The only one that I've had problems with is Ulster Bank and that was before the current fiasco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

PTSB do free day to day banking. Im moving to them once my ulster bank accounts are back in order!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Sarn wrote: »
    I've been banking with BOI for years. For my basic banking needs I've never had any problems, and to date I've never been hit with charges. BOI are up front about what you need to do to avail of free fees. There are hoops that you need to jump through to avoid paying them which is mildly annoying, but at least you can get free banking.

How do they sort out setting up new transfer recipients? I used to have a BOI account and I closed it because you had to wait for a confirmation letter in the post to set one up, and generally a lot of operations were done that way. Also, they didn't have Visa Debit at the time.

I will be leaving UB I guess, so it's between BOI and PTSB as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

mhge wrote: »
    How do they sort out setting up new transfer recipients? I used to have a BOI account and I closed it because you had to wait for a confirmation letter in the post to set one up, and generally a lot of operations were done that way. Also, they didn't have Visa Debit at the time.

I will be leaving UB I guess, so it's between BOI and PTSB as well...

After registering a mobile number you can then add payees by mobile phone confirmation but the transfer will be limited to €3,000. They also have Visa debit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I am currently a mortgage holder with PTSB,a decision I will regret for the rest of my life...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Kev. wrote: »
    I am currently a mortgage holder with PTSB,a decision I will regret for the rest of my life...

+1 ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Kev. wrote: »
    2qk4u wrote: »
    +1 ....

Why?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

whatever you do stay away from BOI and AIB. horrendous customer service an charges.

this is the reason i will never leave ulster bank

• Advertisement
Advertisement