Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are you doing in retirement?

Options
  • 10-10-2014 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

New here and seeing as I am an oulfella, I was wondering how any of you are enjoying retirement?

Me, I'm very happy and thoroughly enjoying myself (no other half to worry about, now). I enjoy "playing" around on the laptop (recently bought on of these little fellas, a small notebook). It's very convenient to use while travelling as the battery seems to last for ever (up to 6 hours I think).

I also do some voluntary work in the area of local history but that's about 200 kms from home. With the free travel pass it great except to get to the meeting at 11 a.m. I have to leave home at 2.30 in the morning. and return immediately after the meeting, getting home at 7 pm, if I'm lucky other wise 8 pm.

Also have a motorhome and recently arrived back from 3 weeks in France and Switzerland. Brilliant holiday. Fabulous thing, motorhomes; best buy I've ever made.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Welcome Campingcarist! Nice to have you on board, and its a good question! Mind you, local history 200 k from home doesn't sound very local!

As the regulars already know, I am into living history and medieval crafts, in fact there is a noticeable tendency towards dressing up among the mods on this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

looksee wrote: »
    Welcome Campingcarist! Nice to have you on board, and its a good question! Mind you, local history 200 k from home doesn't sound very local!

As the regulars already know, I am into living history and medieval crafts, in fact there is a noticeable tendency towards dressing up among the mods on this forum!

I should have mentioned my other interest, genealogy and family history - though I've been doing that for the last 30 odd years.

Also, I've just started a course with FutureLearn, Maritime Archeaology. Very interesting also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Ahhh hello there campingcarist and welcome to the asylum. I loves me history and me genealogy also as well. But beware, show-offs are not appreciated, so stop waving your bus pass around, you are just making me jealous as I wait patiently on my knees for the next couple of years praying they don't abolish the little gem before I get there. Hope you join in the fun and wotnot here - we are the car-aaaazzy gang!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭looksee

(silly singsong voice) naaa na, na na naaa - I have a bus pass! And great value it is too :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

:P Right back acha! Looksee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement