Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

That fancy youtube thing! - Music for Oulwans 'n' Oulfellas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

foxinsox wrote: »
    SNIP
    Kelis - Really annoying papmusic
    I should ban you for inflicting us with that. I could do it. No one would say anything, it'd be 'Justifable Modacide'.:cool:

/Hand hovers over the 'Ban' button.
    You redeemed yourself with Florance but still...

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

OldGoat wrote: »
    I should ban you for inflicting us with that. I could do it. No one would say anything, it'd be 'Justifable Modacide'.:cool:

And, you've got Admin backing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Beruthiel wrote: »
    And, you've got Admin backing.

Lots of it. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

hee hee..

just checking to see that people were paying attention! :D

apologies for the bleeding ears!

I guess I was having a moment, I'll try my upmost not to have another one! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

foxinsox wrote: »
    hee hee..

just checking to see that people were paying attention! :D

apologies for the bleeding ears!

I guess I was having a moment, I'll try my upmost not to have another one! :o

Good lord I would be seriously grateful if you don't.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I love Youtube. So many of these were lost to me until I discovered it.

Not the best of music but songs I remember fondly.

Who said Anneka was cheesy.:eek: I went into the hairdressers after seeing her and wanted them to do my hair in the Cleopatra style with a red rim around it but they weren't up for it. :(

However, I did convince my mother to let me go to the hairdressers the day after seeing this

and get my hair cut in the page boy style. Memory lane is pretty long, I'd better stop walking before I sound like Granpa Simpson. :D

Not sure if any of you are doing the same thing as me, but I am using the links on this thread quite a lot for background music. I use them one day and then a couple of days later I am back using them again. Great thread and some really great memories. My poor aching bones are getting a lot of dancing exercise LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Mike 65 - Thanks for that, I've loved that song for ever.

And here's one that was literally Top of the Pops 30 years ago today (albeit this is the live version):

And this was number today in Ireland 30 years ago:

Man I had a thing for her. Wonder what was number 1 40 years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Bearhunter wrote: »
    Mike 65 - Thanks for that, I've loved that song for ever.

And here's one that was literally Top of the Pops 30 years ago today (albeit this is the live version):

I've gotta say, I prefer Ferry's version to Lennon's own.

When I hear Lennon's version all I can hear is him bleating away to Yoko, like an overgrown child

When I hear Ferry's, I hear an homage to a dead hero. The bit at the end when it's just Bryan's whistling, his synth and his fringe brings a tear to my eye. It makes you wish John Lennon was still around to get an attack of the old green eyed monster.:( (Yes, I'm an unashamed lifelong Beatle's nut)

Isn't it amazing how the same song can take on a completely different meaning depending on the performer and the context?

I agree, but for slightly different reasons, Sardonicat. I was never a Beatles fan and Lennon's solo career was even worse as far as I was concerned, so Ferry's treatment was always going to be better for me. He's a suave ould bollix still; saw him playing down here recently with Roxy Music, a great concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I agree, but for slightly different reasons, Sardonicat. I was never a Beatles fan and Lennon's solo career was even worse as far as I was concerned, so Ferry's treatment was always going to be better for me. He's a suave ould bollix still; saw him playing down here recently with Roxy Music, a great concert.

Fully agree re Lennon's solo career. Most of it is woeful, sentimental, self-indulgent whining.

But Ferry's version of Jealous Guy was obviously recorded shortly after Lennon's murder and I think it just captures the sadness and pointlessness of his death. Ferry's JG manages to capture the beautiful simplicity that lay in the heart of a man whose life became complicated and ridiculous.

It was the simplicity that people mourned, not the delusions of millionaire used to mass adulation singing about having no possesions from his mansion.

Just a bloke whistling a sad, beautiful tune 'cos he messed up with his mrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

And this was number today in Ireland 30 years ago:

Man I had a thing for her. Wonder what was number 1 40 years ago?

http://www.irishcharts.ie/search/number_one :)

This was number one in Ireland the day I was born..Cant say I remember ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A very apt song title for this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I know its not from back in the day! But Happy Summer! This song always reminds me of beautiful Corfu :) I learned to make lemonade! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Memories of Cagney's "Night Train" on 2FM after Ryan's "light out" in the 80's

also, he played this tons on the same show...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

This is the song that was no1 when I was born:(
    Title: EVERY STEP OF THE WAY
    Artist: DICKIE ROCK

I'm not posting a video

dubtom wrote: »
    This is the song that was no1 when I was born:(
    Title: EVERY STEP OF THE WAY
    Artist: DICKIE ROCK

I'm not posting a video

Ah go on!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Just checked my own and I'm in the same boat as Dubtom...:D

Not a chance of posting it here...I'd get an immediate Admin Ban for posting the equivalent of a certain bottle of (baned) wine....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pigs - Pink Floyd montage video with some interesting shots from the staging of the Animals album cover photo shoot and footage from the Wall concerts 80/81 with some of the Pigs from the '87/88 tour (I think it is)

Tzetze wrote: »
    :cool:
    What a wonderful eclectic collection of music. It's like listening to John Kelly on Lyric but with video. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

What a wonderful eclectic collection of music. It's like listening to John Kelly on Lyric but with video. :)
    Just reminded me of the first time my dad saw a telly, he asked "who put the pictures to the Shannon Scheme?".....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

The John Kelly Ensemble is my favourite radio show. Thanks for the compliment! :D

I remember hearing a wonderful bit of harpsichord music on his show once upon a time and was taken by how very 'Rock' it was - the original heavy metal. A year later I was trying to talk to a metalhead and tell him that there is more to music then 6 strings, a plectrum and an amp that goes up to 11, but for the life of me I couldn't remember the composers name.
    I phoned Lyric.
    "Errr, I heard some music...about a year ago...harpischord...really thumping...Who was it?"
    While on to them they phoned JK and off the top of his head he told me "Domenico Scarlatti".
    Kudos and respect to him. Wonderful show.

I now have a Scarlatti canon queued up on the car just to play whenever I pull up beside boy-racers blaring death-metal at me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Advertisement