Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

• 16-08-2010 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

WP7 or Windows Phone 7

tmobile_hd7_color.pngsamsung_omnia7_color.pnglge900pressbestboyz4.pngwindowsphone7series.jpg

A complete rewrite of Microsoft mobile system that has been so neglected for a long time. And has been used more for business purposes and in GPS systems rather then for the average user

The Operating System target was to make an easy user interface that would suit majority of people and remove all the question marks in the usability and looks of the user interface.

This why the square blocks came with whats called live tiles where live updates come up from ie. your Facebook friends or messages or emails pop up and interact in the tiles. As you can see its completely different from any other leading phone manufacturer. You can play around/move edit and add content to your home screen.

Also as the name suggests that Microsoft is trying to move away from PDA's and PDA style phones that were completely stylus operated and being finger friendly and easy to use.

Windows Phone 7 Platform currently doesnt support some essential features as copy and paste or multi-tasking third party applications but has said to bring those in the upcoming updates in 2011

My review of HTC HD7 vs Samsung Omnia 7

also some useful links added for readers :)

Microsoft's Website

Windows Phone Central for Updates and Coming Phones

More links/info Provided by AntiVirus :)

Xbox Hub, Need for Speed, & Rocket Riot

The Sims 3 on Windows Phone 7

Sharepoint & Office 2010 on Windows Phone 7

Looking Forward To It? 180 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    67% 121 votes
    Windows is for PC not for phone!
    21% 38 votes
    Whats Windows Phone 7?
    11% 21 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

To be honest, I doubt I would go Windows Mobile again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

why not :) thought you loved ur HD2 ;)

idk while i want a new OS to be out there...there's only 2 decent OS for phones there...that iOS and Android and both of them are fading off now...

the philosophy behind WP7 is easy UI...which i think was easily done by MS since EVERYONE hated the Windows Mobile cause it had too much customization and the UI was ugly until HTC Sense came along...

its still sad that Flash wont be natively supported by WMP7 and HTML5 wont come out for another year :(

I do like my HD2 but it is prone to turning itself off, today I had to take the battery out to get it to restart again, the freezing, I love the HD2 more than I love WinMo.

I mainly use it for browsing on Opera and motweets, if it wasnt for the screen and good for browsing & tweeting, I doubt I would have stuck with it.

Not enough people are developing for WinMo. It is dying..

I think I would probably go Android next time.

well if its a htc android you wont find alot of diff between them...though i prefer win sense it has nicer colors and layouts. idk what you do to your phone...my phone is loaded with apps and it never freezes...

me being more advanced user than an average joe i find WinMo with Sense the ultimate OS cause you can do anything you want with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

idk while i want a new OS to be out there...there's only 2 decent OS for phones there...that iOS and Android and both of them are fading off now...

wtf? Android is the fastest growing smartphone OS out there.

• Advertisement

well if its a htc android you wont find alot of diff between them...though i prefer win sense it has nicer colors and layouts. idk what you do to your phone...my phone is loaded with apps and it never freezes...

me being more advanced user than an average joe i find WinMo with Sense the ultimate OS cause you can do anything you want with it.

I don't do anything to my phone, I use motweets and opera. It is a common windows mobile issue.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5813092_fix-windows-mobile-freezing.html
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=607949
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PHLIXoLd3A
    http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2010/06/17/htc-hd2-review-problems-and-questions/

Stephen wrote: »
    wtf? Android is the fastest growing smartphone OS out there.

Yes and even internally, Microsoft are worried.

its growing because there's nothing else out there...

@Angel well thats why hotfixes are provided...guess you havent upgraded your phone software in a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

angel01 wrote: »
    Yes and even internally, Microsoft are worried.

Microsoft aren't worried now, microsoft will be worried if the new OS is a failure.

its growing because there's nothing else out there...

@Angel well thats why hotfixes are provided...guess you havent upgraded your phone software in a while?

There are lots of competition out there.

I have upgraded a while ago, I will probably flash it to the O2 Uk ROM soon.

• Advertisement

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Microsoft aren't worried now, microsoft will be worried if the new OS is a failure.

Believe me they are already worried... ;)

angel01 wrote: »
    Believe me they are already worried... ;)

Why should I believe you? Microsoft have said many times they are well behind in the mobile phone battle, they know how good Android and Apple are doing.

Can you back that up with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Windows Phone 7 looks interesting but it's too little too late. Android is growing exponentially with growth increasing every month. Apple are catching up but due to the fact they launch one phone per year that's getting more and more difficult. If Windows Phone 7 can make enough of an impact then I would guess they would reclaim the corporate market.

well i do hope that happens...i always like to have a choice when it comes to phones...and lately ive been extremely bored of android...it was kinda a big deal to go through the app market at first cause didn't have so many on Windows Mobile...

but now its gone a bit boring...

and as i said Android and iOS has such a big share because their the only decent phone OS out there...

hence why i want a new player in the market to bring more competitiveness in to shake both apple and android to make more innovative phone features!

It will be interesting to see how well xbox live works with the new Windows Mobile 7. I'm sure Microsoft will be pushing some xbox 360 games developers to build mini games to run along side the main 360 game.

well if im right windows mobile phones will have xbox scaling chips for sweet graphics

Here's a list of the first wave of games for Xbox LIVE games on Windows Phone 7. There's a new xbox live on Windows Mobile website with a nice little video clip of some of the games running.

http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/microsoft-announces-windows-phone-7-xbox-live-gaming-titles

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/phone/default.htm

3D Brick Breaker Revolution (Digital Chocolate)
    * Age of Zombies (Halfbrick)
    * Armor Valley (Protégé Games)
    * Asphalt 5 (Gameloft)
    * Assassins Creed (Gameloft)
    * Bejeweled LIVE (PopCap)
    * Bloons TD (Digital Goldfish)
    * Brain Challenge (Gameloft)
    * Bubble Town 2 (i-Play)
    * Butterfly (Press Start Studio)
    * CarneyVale Showtime (MGS)
    * Castlevania (Konami)
    * Crackdown 2: Project Sunburst (MGS)
    * De Blob Revolution (THQ)
    * Deal or No Deal 2010 (i-Play)
    * Earthworm Jim (Gameloft)
    * Fast & Furious 7 (i-Play)
    * Fight Game Rivals (Rough Cookie)
    * Finger Physics (Mobliss Inc.)
    * Flight Control (Namco Bandai)
    * Flowerz (Carbonated Games)
    * Frogger (Konami)
    * Fruit Ninja (Halfbrick)
    * Game Chest-Board (MGS)
    * Game Chest-Card (MGS)
    * Game Chest-Logic (MGS)
    * Game Chest-Solitaire (MGS)
    * GeoDefense (Critical Thought)
    * Ghostscape (Psionic)
    * Glow Artisan (Powerhead Games)
    * Glyder 2 (Glu Mobile)
    * Guitar Hero 5 (Glu Mobile)
    * Halo Waypoint (MGS)
    * Hexic Rush (Carbonated Games)
    * I Dig It (InMotion)
    * iBlast Moki (Godzilab)
    * ilomilo (MGS)
    * Implode XL (IUGO)
    * Iquarium (Infinite Dreams)
    * Jet Car Stunts (True Axis)
    * Let’s Golf 2 (Gameloft)
    * Little Wheel (One click dog)
    * Loondon (Flip N Tale)
    * Max and the Magic Marker (PressPlay)
    * Mini Squadron (Supermono Limited)
    * More Brain Exercise (Namco Bandai)
    * O.M.G. (Arkedo)
    * Puzzle Quest 2 (Namco Bandai)
    * Real Soccer 2 (Gameloft)
    * The Revenants (Chaotic Moon)
    * Rise of Glory (Revo Solutions)
    * Rocket Riot (Codeglue)
    * Splinter Cell Conviction (Gameloft)
    * Star Wars: Battle for Hoth (THQ)
    * Star Wars: Cantina (THQ)
    * The Harvest (MGS)
    * The Oregon Trail (Gameloft)
    * Tower Bloxx NY (Digital Chocolate)
    * Twin Blades (Press Start Studio)
    * UNO (Gameloft)
    * Women’s Murder Club: Death in Scarlet (i-Play)
    * Zombie Attack! (IUGO)
    * Zombies!!!! (Babaroga)

well WP7 looks promising itself...i don't think MS can afford to loose 2 years of development...and if they spent 2 years researching and developing what users want i think they got a thing or two right...and with xbox live being available a lot of xbox fans will buy it...a lot of old people will be able to buy it cause it has big tiles in the menu which are easy to read and its a menu that's not hard to access (well neither it was on 6.5 but ppl are just lazy to test what their phone can do)

all they need is good tv campaigns like they did with Windows 7

like androids big break came from Motorola droid and Verizon campaigns actually teaching people what their droid could do...after that seeing android on it knowing it could do the same they would buy an android handset and it could do all the things and it was great campaign to it...

so good advertisement campaigns for average joes is what they really need...

they need to make a big deal out of it as apple does with their projects...

Apple iPhone got sold out in every shop in the US on the launch...so did HD2 on its launch...it was short on stock for over a month...even with Windows Mobile Running it...but who d **** heard about that? so a good intro is whats needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I've had two Windows Mobile 6.5 phones in the last 2 years and have been fairly happy with them, but definitely feel like I've been missing out on all these apps and options that Android users enjoy.

Having said that I have fairly specific requirements for my mobile, so as long as I can get something like SPB Wallet and iGo 8 for the new Windows Phone 7 I'll be happy.

And IMO the main sellling point of the new WP7 platform is the simplicity and integration of live data (calendars, contacts, photos, updates, etc being pulled from facebook, windows live, google etc in the cloud). The emphasis is on the clear presentation and organisation of all of this data, and that's what appeals to me. The idea of a single app for facebook, a single app for calendar, a single app for mail, a single app for twitter etc is very outmoded since there is now so much overlap between all these apps.

Anyway yeah, looking forward to it!

• Advertisement

hmm i tried spb shell on my hd2 before :) its a big dull home screen as the design is a bit poor...but i love the carousel ;)

what phone do you have?

hmm i tried spb shell on my hd2 before :) its a big dull home screen as the design is a bit poor...but i love the carousel ;)

what phone do you have?

It's actually SPB Wallet: password, pin and bank card management etc. Syncs with a desktop client as well, top notch.

I've tried SPB Shell as well, doesn't hold a candle IMO to Sense UI 2.5 provided by HTC. My current phone is a Touch Diamond 2, my previous was a Touch Diamond.

nah sense is better ;) it looks more professional :) though their PSB backup software is the ****...such a great piece of work to back up everything when changing roms or need a hard reset or something :) aswell CHT makes the diff...HTC should buy it and provide it with all their HTC Sense Win Mo phones...though probably htc wont even make 6.5 phones anymore...

hd2 was probably the last HTC win mo...and lmao is was a damn good one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

MS can never be written off, they have shown before that they are ready to make a loss to break into a market and then once they are in, they are difficult to get rid of. Look at the first Xbox and even the 360 for a long time. There's no way they made money on the first Xbox but it got them in the door of that market.

I would imagine that WP7 will ultimately be Microsoft's handheld gaming platform, as well as a phone OS and will take on the PSP and the DS. If they get a few big name game devs to port an Xbox exclusive or two over to WP7, they could be laughing. Most normal (non geek) people won't give a tuppenny damn what OS runs on their phone, they'll be looking for the bells and whistles and a phone where they can play games which earns them XBL achievement points and link into some of their Xbox games could be a big draw.

Personally, it would want to be pretty damn awesome before I'd move from Android to WP7 but I wouldn't be swearing lifetime loyalty to Android either. Once it's not iOS, I'm fickle... :)

Edit: I voted Yes on the poll, purely because another OS on the scene brings more competition and competition forces all parties to innovate.

i agree but i cant remember was it a speculation article i read or some one on the boards said that microsoft has to fail before it can come up with something brilliant to learn from its mistakes...given the fact its probably one of the few companies that can afford failing!

look at it this way...
    xbox wasnt a great success but xbox 360 was...
    vista wasnt a great success but windows 7 was...
    Windows Mobile wasnt a great success but windows phone is meant to be...

though alot of people have been kinda getting the idea that WP7 will be xbox mobile gaming platform and will alienate most common users...though i disagree on this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Well, the jury is still out on Windows 7, although it is better than Vista, that wouldn't be hard. Of course, MS had one or two other Windows versions before Vista... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Well, the jury is still out on Windows 7, although it is better than Vista, that wouldn't be hard. Of course, MS had one or two other Windows versions before Vista... :)

Maybe with you it is, but I have Windows 7 and love it. Everyone I've talked to who has it also loves it. It's gotten good reviews from all of the tech sites as well.

Jury just got back in...

Anyway, you might notice that Microsoft essentially abandoned the old-style WinMo even before 6.5 was released back in October last year, and features such as the Marketplace were token gestures. There was no major courting of developers or advertising or anything. They left most of the innovation up to HTC with their increasingly-brilliant Sense UI and related enhancements (in fact, this will be the only thing to miss from WinMo 6.5). The HD2 I think will be the historic proof of this.

But with WinPhone7 you can see that incredible resources are being put in to attracting developers in particular; the support here and elsewhere shows their determination. As Mr Bloat mentions above, Microsoft were in it for the long haul with the console market and they're now in a pretty good place with the xbox platform. So in this case, I would think brute force combined with some genuine innovation will get them some decent smartphone market share.

Recent WinPhone7 developments seem to be really emphasising the xbox integration, but I think this is just one aspect of a strong platform; the zune player alone makes it a terrific music phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Windows 7 was released with critical acclaim. It's brilliant and you'd be hard pressed to find fault with it. Mac and Linux users haven't a leg to stand on anymore when it comes to berating windows.

• Advertisement

lmao no one slags Windows 7 :) its the best Mircosoft OS to this date...

well best OS in general but others can argue about that :)

I love the way people that didnt have a good experience with computers cause of their inability to understand how to use it always bring up something thats completely outdated and irrelevant...

and now back to WP7 :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement