Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

8.07k in 35.00

Took this one too easy - had plenty left at the end (well, not when I was actually running up the Kyber, but you know what I mean). I was under 4.00 kms for the first couple of hundred metres, and slowed down too much. Perhaps in a less crowded race I'd have knuckled down and pushed the pace, but I doubt it.

(splits- 6.49, 6.54, 6.41, 7.09, 7.17)

Anyway, going back to the beginning of the year my targets were
    5k - sub 20
    5 mile - sub 35
    Half Marathon - sub 1.40
    Marathon - sub 3.30
    10k and 10 mile... sub 45 and 75

5 miles was done at Sportsworld, 10k I was just outside at Dunshaughlin and I'm confident of breaking next time, 10 mile, half and marathon are still in reach. 5k... probably not.

kmtd: 113.03

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

RayCun wrote: »
    5k... probably not.

Why is that Raycun, is it because marathon training is going to be the priority?
    The reason I ask is that I was 2 minutes slower than you today and I know I'll be damn close to sub 20 in Rathfarnham (sept).
    So if you want it I'd be fairly sure you can get it.

Yeah, I reckon that if I did 5k training from now to September I could go sub 20 - but instead I'll be slogging around the long runs. I'm thinking after Dublin I'll spend a year running nothing longer than 10k...

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

8.07k in 35.00

Took this one too easy - had plenty left at the end (well, not when I was actually running up the Kyber, but you know what I mean). I was under 4.00 kms for the first couple of hundred metres, and slowed down too much. Perhaps in a less crowded race I'd have knuckled down and pushed the pace, but I doubt it.

Anyway, going back to the beginning of the year my targets were
    5k - sub 20
    5 mile - sub 35
    Half Marathon - sub 1.40
    Marathon - sub 3.30
    10k and 10 mile... sub 45 and 75

5 miles was done at Sportsworld, 10k I was just outside at Dunshaughlin and I'm confident of breaking next time, 10 mile, half and marathon are still in reach. 5k... probably not.

kmtd: 113.03

Good job Ray
    Nice splits until the Khyber!

See you next week hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Good job Ray
    Nice splits until the Khyber!

See you next week hopefully
    You donthave to do specific 5k or 10k training mate. Just persevere with your marathon training and i bet if you do a 5k you will get under or very close to 20. 35.00 is a great result on that course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭neilc

8.07k in 35.00

Great race Ray, well done. Reckon you'd have no bother breaking 20 min in a 5k based on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

535318.jpg

look at your heel strike ray.\tut \tut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

You've lost faith Ray, time to start believing again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

menoscemo wrote: »
    535318.jpg

look at your heel strike ray.\tut \tut

Lol thats just what I said! He says it's cos he was going so fast

9.09k in 43.55 (4.49 average)

The old favourite - hill sessions. Decided I would finally be a bit smarter about these sessions, try to keep the pace consistent across all of the laps and run no faster than 5k effort (not 5k pace, because this is a tough enough lap)

So, warmup of just under 2k to the hill, at 5.30 pace
    Lap 1 - 1370m, 5.55 (4.19 pace)
    Lap 2 - 1350, 5.45 (4.17)
    Lap 3 - 1330, 5.45 (4.20)
    then the coach announced there'd be a 4th lap - he's always trying to sneak one in. We went a bit slower there
    Lap 4 - 1340, 6.07 (4.33)
    warmdown was the run back from the hill, same distance and pace

kmtd: 122.12

• Advertisement

8.68k in 55.40 (6.25 average)

and the run back into work. A little stiff below the right knee, but not too bad, wasn't hobbling as much as in previous weeks...

kmtd: 130.8

16.11k in 92.03 (5.43 pace)

easy run home from work.

kmtd: 146.81

8.54k in 51.57 (6.04 pace)

recovery run back into work. Legs were tired today, but not nearly as stiff as on previous runs, so the pace kept creeping up.

kmtd: 155.35

Really pushed for time this morning - bringing the kids to the cinema, and they woke up later than usual so I only got up at 7. Long slow run was out of the question so broke it into three runs

6.01k in 34.47 (5.47 pace)

Easy run from home up to car park in the Park.

10k in 48.44 (4.52 pace)

Ran along some of the 10 mile route, more or less - up Chesterfield to Ordnance Survey, Upper Glen Road and the S-bends, down Military, up Wellington, and back along Chesterfield ending with a run down the Kyber.
    Wellington Road is easy enough, sharp but short, I found the drag back up Chesterfield felt harder.

4.83k in 26.58 (5.35 pace)

Easy run home. As always, the pace never drops down completely after a faster run.

Not really long enough for the weekend run, but not too bad.

kmtd: 176.19

9.93k in 58.14 (5.52 pace)

Felt very uncomfortable at the beginning of this run, stiff below the right knee and was running with a real limp. Cleared up after 20 minutes luckily enough, so by the end of the run I was able to do the planned set of strides.

kmtd: 186.12

1 mile in Irishtown

Aviva charity mile in Irishtown stadium. Nice to do something different - I've never raced on a track before, or raced as short a distance. Could probably have gone a bit harder, I've been in much more pain in 5k races, but I'll be happy if the official results confirm I was under 6 minutes. (Didn't bring the Garmin, and forgot my stopwatch needs two presses to start :o )
    Nice to hang around with some other boardsies - meno, RQ, woddle, RAL3 - and watch the other races. Again, not something I'd usually do.

8.6k in 52.23 (6.05 pace)

Limping again at the start of this run. I'm not sure if the problem is my hip or my knee, but I'm falling onto my right foot rather than running on it. Loosened up after 10 minutes and I was running normally from there.

kmtd: 196.32

26.95k in 2.40.18 (5.56 pace)

Longest run since the marathon? It certainly felt like it... Ran up to the park, running a bit late to meet the gang in the car park, so instead of running up the Kyber I went up Military Road, and ran the route backwards until I met up with everyone near the Ordnance Survey. Back along the 10 mile route, and stopped off for water when we got to the car park again. Second lap we did the rest of the 10 route - well, Ger and I did, going up Acres Road while the others kept going on another 6 mile loop. I turned off when we got near the Kyber and headed for home.
    The first few k up to the park my legs were a bit stiff, but in the park itself I was fine. By the time I started for home though the distance was catching up with me, and I started to feel very tired. My pace through the park was 5.40 to 5.50, but on the way home it was over 6. If I'd had money with me, and hadn't been in a hurry to get home, I'd have stopped for a drink and a walk, I was that tired.
    Still wrecked now, no appetite for food so I've had about a litre of chocolate milk and several cups of tea...

kmtd: 204.27

on the good side, got confirmation of my time from Wednesday - 5.58
    Reckon I could have been a few seconds faster, but sub 6 was the goal and I'm happy to have made it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

on the good side, got confirmation of my time from Wednesday

Where did you see that?
    Well done on the sub 6

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Are you doing the 3k Ray?

• Advertisement

Got my time from PVincent -don't think the full results are ready yet, but he checked the times for people from the club.
    I'd quite like to do the 3k, but I don't think I'll be let have the evening off :pac:

Month|2010|2011
    January|38.8|105.61
    February|35.5|106.68
    March|53.2|121.83
    April|72|106.33
    May|75.9|107.13
    June|90.2|64.85pacman.gif
    July|118.1|126.92
    August|124.4|
    September|154|
    October|108.7|
    November|58.4|
    December|83|
    Total|1012.2|

I won't include the mile I did at Farmleigh this morning :)

Bloody hell, just uploaded my data from Saturday. First 22k were everywhere between 5.30 and 6.00, but the last 5k were 6.20, 6.30... crazy paces.

9.96 km in 59.10 (5.56 pace)

Recovery run on Monday

8.11 km in 41.57 (5.11 pace)

Tonight's club session. A variation on the hill sessions - 5 laps of sprint up hill, run down with some speed, jog recovery back to start and sprint again, followed by 2 longer laps, up hill down the other side and back to start, all at pace with a couple of minutes recovery between each lap, then one where we started at the top of the hill, ran down easy enough, turned and ran back at the same speed continued down the other side and back to the start. Plus just over 2k warmup to get to the hill and 2k cooldown back.

8.61 in 59.05 (6.51 pace)

Slooooooow run into work this morning - the average pace in the first half was probably well over 7 minute pace (that's per kilometre)

26.67 kmtd

8.44 in 48.45 (5.46 pace)

Easy run into work. I was half thinking of doing a tempo session this morning, since I didn't get out yesterday, but first thing in the morning is too early for hard work. This worked out as more of a GA type run, starting at about 6 min/km, finishing at about 5.30.

35.11 kmtd

Broke this into three runs -

4.97 km in 29.10 (5.52 pace)

Warm up run up to Tymon Park, then stopped for a minute for a stretch and restarted the watch

16.04 in 80.06 (5.00 pace)

This was divided too - one 8k lap, then stopped for gel and water, and another 8k. The stop let me catch my breath back, but it meant my leg started to stiffen up so when I started again it was harder to settle into a rhythm. My average pace dropped from about 4.56 at the stop down to 5.00 at the end, but I think I could have gone a bit faster if necessary.

3.41 in 20.48 (6.06 pace)

Supposed to do a full 5k, but could not be arsed finding another loop on my way home :)

kmtd: 59.53

Broke this into three runs -

4.97 km in 29.10 (5.52 pace)

Warm up run up to Tymon Park, then stopped for a minute for a stretch and restarted the watch

16.04 in 80.06 (5.00 pace)

This was divided too - one 8k lap, then stopped for gel and water, and another 5k. The stop let me catch my breath back, but it meant my leg started to stiffen up so when I started again it was harder to settle into a rhythm. My average pace dropped from about 4.56 at the stop down to 5.00 at the end, but I think I could have gone a bit faster if necessary.

3.41 in 20.48 (6.06 pace)

Supposed to do a full 5k, but could not be arsed finding another loop on my way home :)

kmtd: 59.53

6 mile wu, 10 mile @ pace?

3 mile, 10 mile, 2 mile - but yeah, basically

3 mile, 10 mile, 2 mile - but yeah, basically

Just to be a total anorak ;)
    wrote:
    On these runs, use the first few miles to warm up, then finish the run with the prescribed number of miles at marathon race pace

• Advertisement

pfft, what does he know?

Advertisement